Because of Bandits

Other Stories
fearecia

Because of Bandits

Post by fearecia »

The dragonkin chuckled as she left Kollin’s office, shaking her head at herself. She’d be trying to avoid getting tangled up in this whole bandit business. Now look at her. Neck deep in it and happy as a clam.

She finally had her meeting with Kollin, and he had come clean about the “knight” he’d asked her to transport. She was a little miffed that he hadn’t just flat out told her about the whole thing in the first place, but to be fair, she’d done similar things herself, so she couldn’t entirely blame him. Still, the information he’d shared that the bandit had spoken of had gotten her gears turning. And, of course, it was becoming relatively clear that there was probably a mole in the guard somewhere…

The angle about Hammerguild was certainly an interesting one, and one she couldn’t believe she hadn’t seen earlier, once Kollin pointed it out. So incredibly blatant. But, then again, who expected bandits to be so open about such things? She needed to find a way to go explore and look around without drawing undo attention to herself. In the meantime, she knew just who to talk to.

Moving into the Plaza, she felt a familiar presence at her side, the tickle of moving air announcing him. She smiled to herself, greeting the people hanging around before moving off into a quiet spot.

“I have a job for you,” she said, grinning at the darkness.

“Oh? Do tell.”
blackfox
Guild: Assassins
Temple: Shadows

Re: Because of Bandits

Post by blackfox »

Blackfox chewed absently on a strip of jerky as the rain fell around him, as he watched the light go out in the window. He figured that he had gleaned about all he could from this situation.

Hulena had a routine that deviated very little for the most part; Wake up, wash her face and hands, eat breakfast, head southwest to the workshop, spend a good ten hours there chipping away blocks into statues, with a few breaks here and there for drinks, and a short lunch, then to the Wig and Pistle, then home and bed.

However, for a dull woman, Hulena had quite the flurry of activity around her. He had counted six different people (not counting himself) who seemed to be watching her, at various times through the day. Three played vagrants looking for hand outs. Probably would be better disguises if they actually tried to get said hand outs instead of sitting where they can watch her all day mutely. One seems to set up in the corner of the Wig and Pistle before the crowds move in and keeps to himself. One seems to have taken residence with Hulena. Sleeps all day while she's gone, and stalks about her cottage in the dead of night well after she's gone to sleep. The last one was actually a decent stalker he found in the woods around Hammerguild. He'd been following Hulena from her home to her job and had almost stepped on a person in a bush. After carefully padding past, he started scanning the areas and started catching sight of a small woman trying blend in with woods. He'd been lucky on that one. He didn't expect anyone in the woods with so many others already. Also he'd manage to follow this one to a small camp of people around a hovel quite deep in the woods. He'd managed to hear small sobs and cries from inside the hovel. He at least gleaned that the children were unharmed though obviously scared.

He crept off into the falling rain and darkness to shadow someone else, and let them know what he's found.
Kollin Byrne
GM of Knights
Guild: Knights
Temple: Light

Post by Kollin Byrne »

Kollin stood and silently watched the candles within the Shrine of Remembrance, only moving to relight those that had gone dark. Each of the hundreds of candles not only represented a knight who had left the lands, but also acted as a beacon for their safe return. His thoughts dwelled on the spirit of the old knight who would return from battling demons in the underworld and rest in the chapel. It would float amongst the candles, reading the names and relighting them just as Kollin was doing now, but it had been quite some time since he had been seen... at least since the sphere of death was lost. Perhaps he just had more demons to fight since then, and it was taking him longer to get back.

Come back soon friend,” he whispered as he re-ignited a candle.

Kollin continued his vigil over the candles as he let his mind wander and his thoughts coalesce. Much like atop the Spire of Dawn, this was another place where his thoughts seemed to come together free of chaos. He wondered why that was, and realized he should bring all of this up when he chats with a certain monk next.

If somethin else doesna come up priority,” he chuckled softly.

Slow tentative footsteps echoed in the chapel as someone approached. Kollin turned to the door to see a flustered young guard standing in the entrance way. As their eyes met the guardsman snapped to full attention and saluted. “Sir!

Kollin held back a grin as he returned the salute. “Ah ease..how can ah help ya?

The guard exhaled, his breath extinguishing a candle or two and he began to panic.

Easy there lad, es okay...relax,” Kollin said as he walked over and relit them. He smiled softly, “Whas yer name?

Periot, Sir. I’m sorry I’m interrupting, but I heard something on shift...that you should hear.

Ya know, ya can tell yer captain tha..

With...well everything...going on ...bandit wise...and how there might be moles in the guard...I thought….

Moles ya say.

The guardsman got more nervous, and nodded. “What I heard...and..the.talk of guards working with bandits... and prisoners…maybe being sent to Twilight...I figured I should tell you.. to make sure..you know...you know?

Kollin smiled faintly and nodded, “Ah think so...so...wha should ah know?

Periot took a deep breath and held it for a moment as he didn’t want to blow out more candles, finally tilting his head back and exhaling towards the ceiling.

My captain was telling me that a guard he works with is bragging about being the one to kill the escaped bandit...said he shot him in the back of the head.

Kollin stared at the guard, waiting for him to continue.

I didn’t know he was found, let alone killed...is it true?...should he be bragging about it like that?

Kollin watched the guard squirm in the lingering silence for a moment before speaking. “Ah can confirm tha search was called off, but no as ta why... did ya happen ta get a name o who was braggin about it, thas no somethin ah appreciate.

Periot shook his head no, “I’m sorry he didn’t…

Es okay,” Kollin smiled, “ah’ll talk ta yer captain.

The young guardsman turned pale for a moment before Kollin continued, “Don worry, ahll no tell him ya spoke ta me. Ya did good lad, took courage. An ah look forward ta seein more o wha ya can do..but fer now, Periot, get some rest.

The guardsman nodded and saluted, “Thank you, Sir!

Kollin returned the salute and watched Periot leave. Once he heard the chapel doors close he whispered, “Maybe ah can trust more o em than ah thought.

That was the fourth guard who had come to him that day, and the first to find him outside the barracks. The rumor of the escaped bandit, Deirk, seemed to have taken hold, and with luck had made its way back to the bandits themselves. Hopefully the pressure on Deirk’s wife and kids would be relaxed, and some time bought. If they were going to act, their window wasn’t going to get much bigger.

Kollin did a final relighting pass through the shrine and made his way to the Monk’s guild.

Greetins Brother Rukath, could ya tell yer guildmaster. “Es time” for me?

Time for what?

Jus tha ah said: ‘Es time.’ She’ll know.” Kollin smiled and nodded into a bow, before taking his leave.
fearecia

Post by fearecia »

Fearecia laughed when Rukath delivered the message, the poor brother looking positively confounded by the whole thing. Course, confusion turned to a bit of indignation at the laughter, but he was a good-natured fellow at heart. She smiled and waved a hand, saying, "Thank you, Rukath. I appreciate it."

He lingered in her office a moment, letting silence fill the air with expectation. Finally, he asked, "Are you going to tell me what it means?"

She chuckled and shook her head. "Not in full, no. I will tell you that it means you get to watch the guild for a few days while I run an errand. Otherwise, the details are for Kollin and I."

He gave her a mildly reproachful look.

The dragonkin chuckled again. "It's not dangerous, Rukath. Don't worry. Well," she paused a moment, considering the task ahead of her. "It's nothing I can't handle. Put it that way."

The old brother muttered. "One of these days, Fearecia, you are going to get into trouble you can't get out of."

She smirked, fangs flashing a bit with mischief. "Perhaps, but that's not today." She got up from behind the desk, moving to the wall to collect her katana and throwing daggers. "Anything else before I go?"

He huffed. "No."

She nodded, gave him a hug, and left the office, knowing Rukath would manage the day to day guild affairs just fine in her absence. Once outside the guild, a quick teleportation spell took her to The Roof. Like magic, her shadow attached itself, making his presence known. She smiled, watching the sun work its way towards the horizon. "Kollin says it's go time."
fearecia

Post by fearecia »

Shadows were steadily filling in the gaps between the trees as Fearecia slunk between the trunks, stalking her prey as only a predator could. Ebon scales practically vanished into the fading light as she moved deeper into the woods, sensitive ears pricked for any sign of intruders or other stalkers. A passing breeze warned her of the other bandit Blackfox had told her about; a quick detour and she bypassed the watcher.

Night had fully fallen when she found the hovel, the glow of lanterns falling through the window. It was a rather rickety structure, comprised of dilapidated wood and threatening to fall in on itself. She could clearly hear the guards arguing with the kids, demanding the boys go to sleep when all they wanted to do was see their mother. “Soon,” the dragonkin breathed to herself, shifting her position so she could see clearly into the open door.

Two men were in the front of the hovel, cleaning dishes after an evening meal. She could hear another, but it seemed likely he was behind the door in the back of the hovel, threatening the kids.

SMACK!

The sound echoed through the closing night, followed quickly by only half stifled cries. The dragonkin growled softly, maternal instincts making her want to rush in and destroy the entire camp right then and there. It was only through the knowledge that she’d only make things worse by rushing in that kept her rooted in the shadows, waiting for the quiet calm of night. The third bandit finally exited the back room, clearly grumpy and annoyed as he locked the flimsy door behind him. They talked amongst themselves for a while, one expressing distaste for how the other managed the boys. The first shot back, in no mood to be told he was doing anything wrong. The last mostly stayed quiet, going about his chores and keeping a sharp eye on the surroundings. Fear marked him as possibly one of the archers, and one to keep an eye on.

Otherwise, there was dissention in the ranks. Good to know. The first two bickered back and forth for a while before the quiet one snapped at them, causing the pair to fall silent. So, the quiet one was the leader. The dragonkin watched them for some time after that, the bandits tyding camp and heading to their own rest. The grumpy one took first watch, expressing his belief that it was all pointless as he sat down on a log just outside the door of the hovel, setting a lantern down on the ground next to him.

Fearecia watched them, analyzing the situation as she waited for the night to deepen and complacency to set in. The children were locked in the back room, the keys hanging on the inside of the front door of the hovel. Two of the bandits were asleep on rickety beds in the front room, the third absently whittling at a piece of wood with a knife by the front door. She couldn’t help but grin a bit, watching the calm of the night slowly work its magic over the bandit on watch. As the moon rose high, he was snoring steadily.

It was time.
fearecia

Post by fearecia »

A rock flew out of the darkness, thwacking solidly into the half-rotten wood of the hovel right next to the bandit’s head. Instantly, the bandit was up, brandishing his dagger and glowering at the darkness.

“Who’s there!?” he demanded, tossing the blade in a way meant to be threatening.

Still lurking in the shadows, the dragonkin waited several moments, letting the anticipation and anxiety rise. Then, she threw her bulk onto a rotten log that was propped up on a few rocks, shattering it with an echoing crunch. Birds screamed in alarm and took flight, fleeing into the moonlight with a terrifying ruckus.

Like every half awake, startled guard ever, the bandit whirled in the direction of the sound… and kicked the lantern with his foot, knocking it over and shattering the glass. Oil and flame spilled out on the ground, splashing onto the walls of the hovel, instantly starting a small fire.

The bandit cursed, forgetting the forest intruder as he began to try to stomp out the fire with his boot. Fearecia, however, wasn’t about to let that happen. For the first time in ages, she reached for her fire, summoning the magic to the fore like a long lost friend. Power surged, eager for release after years of captivity, as she reached for the essence of the small fire struggling for survival under the stamping of the bandit’s boots. Easy as breathing, fire real and magical linked up, and the small struggling flame on the side of the hovel suddenly grew, viciously licking up the wall sure as someone had thrown oil on it.

The bandit watched in horror as his mistake multiplied itself, the tiny fire suddenly growing completely beyond his ability to control. Like a starving beast finally given fresh meat, the flames quickly climbed the old wood, engulfing the entire side of the hovel in moments. Alerted by the smell of smoke, the bandits inside were already waking up, groggily climbing into consciousness. Their partner screamed at them as the flames climbed higher, the heat already scorching.

The quiet one was awake first, yanking his fellow out of the bed and kicking him through the flaming opening of the door. Pausing, he reached for where they’d hung the keys for the door, only to realize the entire wall was already engulfed in flames. There was no way he could get them as the blaze grew, turning into a massive bonfire. He bolted through the front door just before it collapsed.

Entertwined with the cackle of the fire, the screams of the kids locked in the back room echoed.

Still lurking in the shadows, the dragonkin continued to feed the fire with her magic, guiding and controlling it. Her heart broke as she heard the kids cry out in fear, but she knew it was necessary; she had to convince the bandits that the kids died in the fire that they started. The bandits stared in shock as the flames climbed into the night sky, seeming to consume the entirety of the building. Taking advantage of the moment, the dragonkin slunk towards the back wall of the hovel, keeping a careful hold of the flames so that they only brushed the back room, but did not consume it. There, letting the fire cover the noise, she ripped a hole in the back wall, revealing the boys inside.

The boys stared at her in shock as she was suddenly illuminated against the night sky for them: a giant black dragon with firelight glowing against her scales. They screamed even louder, staring at her in terror. Internally, she winced, knowing these poor kids were going to be scarred for life… but hoping they would forgive her once they were reunited with their parents. Twisting a ring she’d had prepared earlier, she cast a sleep spell over each child, sending them careening into the land of dreams. Their cries silenced, she grabbed one in each hand, backing away from the hovel as she released her control on the fire, letting it consume the back room. In another moment, the group teleport spell was cast, and they popped out of existence, the sound covered by the crackling of the fire.

Released from its magical influence, the fire consumed the entirety of the building, collapsing it in on itself as the bandits watched in horror. In the space of mere minutes, they had completely failed their mission. Now, someone was going to have to tell their boss.
blackfox
Guild: Assassins
Temple: Shadows

Post by blackfox »

It was a typical evening at the Wig and Pistle. Locals were talking amongst each other over local gossip. Travellers filling their bellies before calling it a night to prepare for trekking down the road in the morning. So she had no reason to pay attention to those coming and going as she sat at a small table in the back, quietly eating her meal and downing another drink, trying to numb herself to another stressful almost sleepless night.

So she was startled when two flagons of mead were nearly dropped on the table and a man with a small smile plopped into a chair near her.
"Hey, Cheers! Don’t mean to intrude too much. But you look pretty down, and there isn’t much space left. Just you and the sour looking man in the corner and he doesn’t look as interesting." She blinked and glanced around. There did seem to be a few more than a usual night, she did not however glance at the man. She knew why that man was there.. ‘Uh.. yes, so it would seem. Well I’m ‘bout done anyway so you can have the table. I was just on my way out the door.”

He stood and held up his hand stopping her, "Now come along, you get a free drink and you want to leave? Just have one with me right? I’m sure it’ll help brighten your mood!" he flashed her a bright smile. She pushed on his hand and quietly said 'It wouldn’t be proper of me. I’m a married woman..' He tilts his head and says "And I cannot make a friend with a married woman? You may have misread my intentions dear woman." She looked at him for a moment. She couldn’t put her finger on it but he seemed.. Off. Still, she figured another good drink might help for the night, if only to push off going back home, and it wasn’t her coin to boot.

She sighed and said
‘Alright.. But this one drink, then i really must be off. Mister..?’ As she sat down, he followed her lead and sat back down with her, "Quinn. And what might be the name of my company for this Single drink?" She latched her hand around the flagon and said ‘Hulena.’ He nodded slightly "Well Mz. Hulena, what troubles you so? Why in a tavern of the drunk and.. Well mostly merry, do you seem almost as dour as Mr. Sourpuss over there." He tilted his head toward the man who she knew was watching them. She took a gulp of her drink and said quietly ‘You wouldn’t understand even if I could tell you. It’s complicated and it’s probably not even good we’re talking.’

He frowned slightly "Really? I can understand quite a bit. Is it as complicated as a ship’s log? Or a financial ledger?" then his slight smile came back "Or being held somewhere you don’t wish to be?" She went pale and stared at him in shock. ‘Who are you and what do you want of me Mr. Quinn?’ she quietly hissed at him, glaring at him. She knew who was keeping an eye on her and they’d be the only ones to really know her problems. He merely gave her a soft smile and said very quietly “Someone working to get you out." He took a good gulp of his own flagon as she continued to stare at him. He then said, "So first, you should probably not stare. That could clue them in, also I do wager you’d like to leave. And I mean this situation, if not this town, at this point?" She blinked and looked at the table briefly before taking another long drink. She nearly choked as she breathed 'Yes.. but please don’t be lying to me for some sick game. I cannot take much more of this.' she waved her hand around.

He leaned back and stretched before taking a good couple of pulls off his drink. “Dear Hulena, I am quite the joker when I wish to be, but,” he leaned in slightly "I’m dead serious right at this moment. I want to get you out of here." She bit her lip and nodded. "Alright then. You may not like how this will look, but keep in mind you won’t be back here. But you need to come upstairs with me." She blinked and her mouth opened and closed a couple of times before she found some words ‘Are you joking? There’s no way out up there.’ He took another drink, finishing it off finally and looked her in the eye "Well then, I guess you’ll have to trust me on this."

She chewed on her bottom lip. ‘I.. I want to.. But that seems like a dead end rather than getting me out.’ He nodded "Well that is fair..Did I tell you Deirk told me the story of the Flower of Blackshore?" She nearly dropped her flagon splashing some mead onto the floor. ‘What did you say??’ He continued, "He said it was like his family, a beautiful flower growing from the ashes of the Volcano." She quickly downed her remaining mead and took a deep breath to calm herself.

She looked him straight in the eye and smiled for the first time in a long time and said ‘I do think we should indeed go after all.’ He stood up from the table and lead her to the stairs, and made there way up nonchalantly. As they left the view of the bar she asked ‘What about the man downstairs?’ He made his way to a door at the end of the hall, pulling out a key to unlock the door "Oh, I wouldn’t worry about him.. I think he will have drank too much tonight to remember too much of what happened. Also, try not to mind the smell, and do not scream." She furrowed her brow and started ‘Scream at..' and then she saw a corpse on the bed and clamps her hand over her mouth as it was all she could do. He quickly closed the door and locked it "And before you ask, no I did not kill her. I had to make a deal to get the body cause it looked enough like you no one should notice right away.” She started breathing hard and he grabbed her shoulders and looked her in the eye "Hulena, look at me. She died from alcohol poisoning. It was not me. You have my word you are going to be safe.” She stared at him and took a few long deep breaths ‘O..Ok..' He pulled out a bag and gave her some dark clothes. "All we have to do now is head out this window and we’re gone into the night." She went behind a screen and changed ‘What about the others?’ She heard him shuffling about as he replied "Oh.. made sure they’d be distracted.” She came out and he was dressed in all black gear. "Ready?” He asked. She nodded. He slid out the window. She looked down at him and he waved her down. She took a breath and slid out the window into his arms and they made off into the night.
Kollin Byrne
GM of Knights

Post by Kollin Byrne »

It was unusual for Kollin to schedule meetings late in the evening, but between the personnel changes, and the bandit activity it was warranted. It also conveniently gave him something to focus on while the rescue mission was underway.

Thank ya fer agreein ta meet so late, hows Spirehold treatin ya?” Kollin looked across his desk at the recently promoted captain.

Meeting late meant I could get more done during the day,” the captain nodded with a slight grin, “I’m still trying to figure things out you know.

Aye, me too…,” Kollin grinned, “but you’ll do jus fine.”

The captain relaxed and chuckled, “Thank you Sir, I won’t let you down.

Ah know ya wont, ya’ve proven yerself ta me a few times already, thas why the job’s yours.

Kollin paused a moment and grinned as he remembered the first time he met Bronham. He’d come a long way from being a green recruit who nearly fell off a cliff around Stonekeep.

So, ah met with tha captains o Lyresong an the Fort earlier, an ah ask ya tha same thing ah asked them: D’ya have yer house in order? Any issues ah should know about?

Captain Bronham thought a moment before giving his status report. “I believe you purged the worst offenders when you went through the first time. There are a few who could use more training, and they’re getting it.” He paused, “There has been a lot of chatter about Twilight being used for punishment. I’ve assured them no one has to worry unless they’ve done something wrong...and that I wouldn’t let anyone be taken away without a fight.

Kollin grinned knowingly, “Good...keep an eye on the folks who keep askin about tha.….ave ya heard any rumors about tha escaped prisoner?

The captain nodded, “So you know about that? A few had come to me saying they heard a guard killed him in cold blood.

Kollin nodded, “Ah know all about it, es bein taken care of as we speak...Ahm expectin some increased bandit activity in tha comin days. Up patrols, especially on tha road between Lyresong an tha Fort. Ah talked to their commands earlier, an they’ll be uppin theirs as well...Ah want yer people reportin anythin even the slightes bit suspicious.

Captain Bronham stood and nodded, “Yes sir, anything in particular we should be looking for?

With a shake of his head Kollin said, “No...ahve a feelin someone or somethin will come out inta the open...ah jus need ya ta be ready when it does.

Understood, I’ll have it taken care of immediately,” Bronham said with a salute.

Kollin stood and saluted in response, waiting until the captain had left his office before packing his things. He would need to leave for Abrams’ Landing shortly. His meeting with their Commander was in the morning, and by then everything would be in place, or so he hoped.
Kollin Byrne
GM of Knights

Post by Kollin Byrne »

How’re our guests?” Kollin asked, pausing a moment before continuing “They are bein treated as guests right?

The Commander of the Landing nodded “Yes, they are…and they’re doing as good as can be expected...Hulena and her kids are together, they have questions… but she’s been smart about not letting the kids know about their father..

Kollin nodded “An wha does she know about him?

We haven’t told her much, just that he’s here, and recovering...thats it” Commander Kory took a moment and leaned back in his chair “She is...insistent...on seeing him sooner than later..

S’understandable, must be hard on em bein brought up here suddenly an no really knowin whas goin on….we’ll arrange them ta meet soon...does he know they’re here?

Not as of yet…he hasn’t said much of anything since the incident...but he is recovering, and under constant supervision.

Ah think ah should ave another chat with him before they’re reunited..” Kollin nodded absently to himself as he pondered the situation. “Has she tried ta get any messages out?

Kory shook his head “No, nothings come through about that. We still handle all communications, you haven’t been gone that long.

Kollin leaned in a bit “An yer sure those watchin em can be trusted?

Kory half chuckled and sighed “Yes! All family...or friends of family...like almost everyone up here…” Kory leaned in “Dad...you don’t have to worry about that here...there’s no reason for it.” He paused and pointed to the south “Down there? yeah. Be ready down there. But we’re ready here.

Kollin glared at his son for a moment before chuckling and pinching the bridge of his nose. “Aye...ma apologies...yer right…” Kollin mimicked his sons motion and grinned “An we’re ready ‘down there’ as ya put it.

Good to hear, so when’s the next move?

Once ya think Deirk is up ta it...ah think es time for a reunion.

Return to “Roleplay Story Strings”