Paperwork

For Abram's Landing and its Citizens
Kriztina
Guild: Knights
Temple: Chivalry/Light

Paperwork

Post by Kriztina »

Sitting in her office at city hall, Kriztina was going over the town finances. Sifting through them was making her brain hurt. The numbers weren’t adding up and made no sense to her. She got up and walked to the door where her usual security guard stood. Peering through the door she looked up at him. “Would you have someone get the financial officer for me please? Ask him to come to the office as soon as he can. I have questions.

The guard turned to her when she approached and chuckled after hearing her request, “Yes duchess. Consider it done.

She smiled and softly said, “Thank you,” as she turned back inside while muttering, “maybe he can make these numbers make more sense,” then started pacing while thinking about the numbers in her head. There were numbers of all sorts. A lot of red that made the book look like blood was splattered on the pages. Maybe it was.

She’d guess it has been a quarter of an hour when the financial officer interrupted her pacing by a knock at the open door. “Hello Krizintaaaaa….” The guard that was behind him elbowed his back when he spoke making her name trail a bit. He looked back at the guard who gave the financial guy a dirty look. He turned back to her, “Excuse me. Hello Duchess.

Kriztina waved her hand to blow it off as she looked to the guard as she sat down. “Kriztina is fine. We’ve known each other for a long while now. Please sit.” Once they were both seated, she turned the stacks of parchment towards him. “Alright Jaksen, explain this to me. I’m seeing a lot going out, very little coming in. What has happened here?

He looked at the documents briefly and then up to her, “May I be frank,” he asked her.

She nodded her head and simply said, “please.

He nodded in acknowledgement and started. “Although you and Kollin watched over the Landing for so long, you never looked at the books. You were in an “acting” position without the authority to look over such books. We had an extremely large sum we were working with so that was never a problem. We were able to do the things needed for the town, such as paying salaries, supplying the guards that protect the citizens. It wasn’t till recently that you were able to really do anything about it. I’m afraid to say, if something isn’t done before too long, we will be in debt. I know Devardec has officially stated that we are part of their kingdom. That may include assisting with financial matters as they did previously, but do we want to wait till it becomes a problem and then find out?

Kriztina had leaned back in her chair and was listening to everything he had to say while sucking on her lip with irritation about how things had worked. Thankfully, Jaksen was the best and had been keeping the books for a very long period of time now. “Do you have any ideas of how we should start getting the funds for fixing this situation?

Jaksen looked at her and shook his head, “I haven’t attempted to figure out such things. It is not within my position to do so. I simply work with the numbers.

Pondering the question a bit while listening to him, she asked, “Could we meet back her in a week or so? I’d like to talk to the land owners outside of town, see exactly how many there are and what sort of things they are doing there. There may be some opportunities within them we can work with.

He nodded as he stood, “That would be great. Take your time. Do some research. We are not in such a dire situation yet that you don’t have the time. Think about different options and let me know when you want to meet up again. I don’t go far.

She looked through the open door after Jaksen left and could hear the slight breeze blowing. Without getting up she said, “Kartur?

Not a moment had passed since she said his name then he was standing inside the door, “Yes Duchess?

It was difficult to see him standing so tall and handsome like his father without smiling or laughing. He was so professional and serious at all times when outside of the home. Remembering that, she made sure to keep the same decorum. “Tomorrow, I will be leaving Abram’s Landing and going for a trip around the area. I want to meet with those that live in the outlying areas. They need to know that I am here for them and see if they need anything further. The ones in town know of the updates that have been made and Devardec’s involvement, they may not. It’s my duty to make sure they do. Make whatever arrangements need to be made with the General and meet me here early in the morning. Any questions?

He stood taller before answering, “Actually yes. I need to know how many days you plan on being gone and if the Duke will be joining you.

Nodding her head, she understood why he needed to know that information. She should have expected it. “I will be going on my own, with the guard. The Duke is tending to his duties within Devardec. My safety will be in your hands.” At that, she winked at him and almost got a smile.

Very well. I shall let the General know right away. Do you plan on leaving anytime soon for the evening?

Looking down at her desk she shook her head, “No, I will be here for a few more hours. Then I need to pack and get a message off to Kollin. He needs to know my plans. Would you have a messenger prepared to deliver the message, please?

Consider it done. I will be back as soon as I can. Please let us know before you go anywhere if I’m not back first.” With that, he left the office and headed to the barracks looking for the General.
Lady Kriztina
Duchess of Abrams Landing
Kriztina

Re: Paperwork

Post by Kriztina »

Kriztina sat at her desk and picked up the quill, putting it to the scroll before her that replaced the notes she made before, penning the message to Kollin so it could be sent off right away.

My dearest Kollin,

I’m writing to keep you informed of my activities so you don’t worry. I know telling you not to worry is like telling water not to be wet, but I can try. I will be taking my usual detail of guards, no traveling around on my own, as I promised. Brendun and Kartur will be leading my detail so you know there are few who could do a better job, trained by the best….you.

I had a meeting today with my financial officer, Jaksen. Now I have a lot to think about regarding bringing revenue into the city. The city isn’t in debt yet, and not in trouble of being so any time soon, but I don’t want to wait until we hit that condition to make things happen. Change takes time. Positive things take time to come to fruition. First, I need to find out what there is in the town and around us that is able to be used.

I don’t know how long I will be out of the town, but I’m sure you could find me should you wish to join on the trek. I wish you the best in your endeavors and miss you always.

Love,

Kriztina

She put the quill down in its place, closed the scroll with some wax and pressed it with the sigil of the city from her ring. Satisfied it was dried and ready to go, she stood and took the scroll to the messenger sitting outside the door. “Young man, I’d like you to give this to Kollin only. Others will tell you where he is at the guild, should he not be there. If they tell you they will give it to him, inform that he is to get it from you directly by orders of the Duchess. She give the young man a wink as he took the scroll from her hand, chuckled and whispered he would do as she commanded, then took off at a run to get the job done.
Lady Kriztina
Kriztina

Post by Kriztina »

Kartur returned from the barracks and knocked on the door, waiting for Kriztina to call him in. As he opened the door he found Kriztina, packing up some items, scrolls, quills and a couple ink pots within a bag. He waited for her to acknowledge him before speaking. He didn’t want to interrupt her thoughts. Placing the bag on her chair she turned and looked up at him. “Are things taken care of?

He stood at attention. While Kriztina looked at him the boy reminded her so much of Kollin in his younger years. He is the oldest son of their daughter Khyara. His childhood was spent training with Kollin and Kriztina while his parents were working. Taking care of the kids was one of the reasons they had retired back then. She shook her head coming back to hear him say, “..The Captain said he would like to accompany you himself, along with your regular guard and an extra contingent of soldiers to have sufficient men to rotate shifts while we are gone.

Sitting on the edge of her desk she nodded, “How long will he need to get everything situated and ready?

Without hesitation Kartur responded, “He is asking for a couple days.

Kriztina stood, grabbing the bag from her chair, “I will go home and start packing then. I have sent the message out to Kollin. He will know what is going on in case he comes home. We will leave in three days time. That should give him sufficient time to get the troops together and for us to be ready. Now, if you will see me home, we can get started.

Kartur bowed his head, walked over and took her bag, then led her out the door with the other two guards there following behind her. Seems more had come with him from the barracks knowing they would be leaving the courthouse. She knew Kollin was protective, and it seems his protectiveness has been passed down to his sons and grandsons. Some have even forgotten she assisted in their training and helped teach Kollin when he was young. It was alright though. It was time for her to remember her new part in things. She was the political figure now, and not the protector. It was her time to be the one that was protected, though she still took her blades and sword with her.

Even though she was lost in thought, she still managed to wave at the few people in town that were passing by or cleaning out in front of their stores before it was too dark to see. When she finally arrived home, the guard took up their positions at the door. Kartur left the others in charge and went in with her. Once his helmet was off and sword placed in the holder by the door, he was no longer her guard, but her grandson once again.
Lady Kriztina
Kriztina

Post by Kriztina »

Upon arriving at the house, she looked around and sighed. She missed returning home and seeing Kollin. He would be back before too long though. For now, she had work to do and the guards outside were not going to let her forget it. First order of business was to decide on clothing to take with her and pack.

Looking at her wardrobe, Kriztina was trying to figure out what would be best for this. She was a diplomat going out to meet others from the town. Yes, they were going into the outlying areas of the Landing. Those that lived outside of the walls and its protection. There were not guards that traveled here regularly and patrolled for safety. Was that needed? She never thought about that. So many things that she hadn’t given consideration to before. All in time. She will slowly get it figured out.

After staring in thought within her wardrobe, she finally decided to choose some light armor, pants and shirts. She would not wear any dresses, or even heavy armor, that was for the guards. Diplomat. What she has to remember. This would be appropriate attire for both considering the fact she was traveling and riding a horse. Too bad if folks didn't like it. She could go in her full knight’s gear otherwise. She would behave though, and allow the guards to do their jobs.

Satisfied with her choices, she set aside an outfit to wear when they leave and had her bags packed. A couple extra outfits, brush and other necessities that would be needed. She hid weapons in her bags here and there. One could never have enough small weapons just in case of emergency. Yes, she had a lot of guards going with her, but if they were attacked, there is no way she was going to be out of the town limits without weapons on her no matter what any of them say.

Her items packed and her outfit to leave in sitting out for travel, she went back to the living room to find her grandson sitting on the couch. “I take it you are tending personal matters now and not public ones.

His smile was big and reminded her of his father. “I figured we could sit and just talk for a bit. I am worried about you wandering around outside of the town limits.

Kriztina coughed a little and sat down in shock of what she just heard. “You are worried about me? Why is that?” Her shock and yet amusement in this line of conversation made her have to ask.

It is very dangerous outside the walls. I know we will be protecting you, but the dangers are still there. I don’t want to lose you. Besides, if anything happened to you, grandfather would never forgive us.

With a nod of her head she leaned forward to look at him intensely. “You do realize that I helped train you and teach you all that you know, yes?” He nodded his head affirmatively. “I do not ‘need’ your protection going outside of these walls. I have been protecting them long before you were born. I am, however, stepping back and allowing the guard to protect me to take my place as a public figure more than a fighting one. The people need to see me as this public figure. However, I do not ‘need’ it. You are all a necessity for appearance. I have to be seen as accessible. You allow me to do this. Besides, your grandfather has insisted on it and I will abide by his wishes as well. So do not worry about me. I am going to do this fully protected, by guards and otherwise. Alright?

Kartur sat back while putting his hands up, surrendering the position, “Understood. I will worry about you, but less than what I was. Perhaps it is my own worry about the unknown. I’ve heard that things have changed a bit outside the walls. I’m not sure of what is to be found.

Leaning back and relaxing, she took a moment to let his words sink in before responding. “We shall find out together. I have faith in your training. I have faith in the men that will be going with us. We will manage to bring everyone back here safely and I will have more questions than when I left, most likely, but we will learn a lot on this trip.

He nodded, “I look forward to it. Now let’s eat and get some rest before we leave. I want to be as rested as possible. I don’t know how much rest I will get on this journey.
Lady Kriztina
Kriztina

Post by Kriztina »

Kriztina enjoyed the last few days hanging around the house with Kartur. They discussed how things were going with him, a girl he was interested in, his family. His twin brothers were still in school and would be graduating soon. Like all Byrne’s, regardless of gender, they were very proficient in using weapons. They haven’t decided what they would like to do after graduating from school. She explained that they didn’t have to hurry into any decisions, but explore their options, try different things and decide what meant the most to them. Everyone would stand behind their decisions, regardless of what they were.

Kartur woke her this morning having made breakfast for them. He was quite the cook. Obviously he didn’t learn that from her. She could make edible food, but this was very good. They ate while they talked, making sure everything else was prepared for when the guards arrived to tell them it was time to go. She hated waiting for someone to tell her they were ready, but she was sure Kory had his reasons to do so. Kartur went around making sure the guards outside were doing well and got something to eat before post change.

As he was walking back towards the house after taking food to the guards by the stables, he heard horses approaching. They weren’t moving at a quick pace, as to think they were in trouble or being attacked. He stopped in the middle of the pathway before the house and waited, silently cursing at himself for not being more prepared and having a weapon on him. As he placed the serving tray at his side, he felt a dagger at his waist he’d forgotten about. At least he wasn’t completely empty handed.

The riders drew closer and the steam started to settle. Within that dissipating mist, he saw the ever imposing figure of his uncle. He stepped back and let him steady his horse before sliding off the saddle. Kartur offered his commander a proper military greeting as best he could while holding a serving tray. Kory returned the formality, then turned to the other guards that were with him. “Take care of my horse and the others. Make sure everyone is fed, washed up and gotten a few hours of sleep if they were on guard last evening. I’m going to visit with the duchess and then we shall leave soon.

Guards sprang into action muttering crisply, “yessir” as they worked. Kory turned back to Kartur and saw him still standing at attention. With a chuckle he put his arm around his nephew while turning him around facing the door, “Let’s get something to eat.” Just as Kartur was about to say he’d already eaten they were entering the door and decided not to bother saying anything now, just wasn’t worth it.

Inside, they found Kriztina taking a bite of her toasted bread while looking at the door. Once her mouth was empty, she got up to give her son a hug and kiss, “happy to see you. Want to join us?

He looked down at the table and then at the two of them, “Who cooked?

Kartur laughed, as she sat back at the table scoffing. “I did,” he said.

I’ll be happy to eat something then,” he responded while sitting down across from his mother. Kartur went straight to the kitchen to make his uncle breakfast.
Lady Kriztina

Return to “Abram's Landing”