Message to the Demoness Wandering the City

For the Kingdom of Twilight and its tribute cities.
Ruler: Shadow Lord Silk, of Dread and Fate
demoness
Guild: Barbarians
Temple: Death

Message to the Demoness Wandering the City

Post by demoness »

She was wandering through the city checking out things that had changed since she had been there last. Talk of all the changes was tempting her but she knew her place was where her people were. This was so true that while walking through the city, she made her way down a darkened path directly to House Occisor. The sound of fighting caught her attention. She followed it around to the back where a large patch of land was found that had guards upon it training. Sitting down, she watched them for a time while shaking her head at what she saw. Everything was so sloppy. There was no order to things that she could tell. With a slight growl of disgust, she gets up and leaves the area unseen.

A messenger had been searching the city looking for the demoness. He had been going around, finding he had just missed her. Following the last lead, he headed towards Occisor where he found her walking down the path from the House. He stopped short and bowed. “
Lady Demoness, I was asked to bring you this message right away.” With that, he offered her the message and stood back so she could have privacy opening it up.

She looks him over, noticing the attire and opens the message. After reading it over, she nods and puts the message in a pocket. “
Tell them I will head back there right now and start working on things right away. I did not like what I saw when I visited. A pleasure to whip things up.” The messenger nodded in agreement and took off running to give the message immediately. She watched him leave and fought the temptation to hunt him down and kill him for sport. She was in the city she lived in and had to curb such desires while here. Sport would wait for later, business awaited back at Occisor.
Demoness Nyssa, Savant of Death
demoness

Re: Message to the Demoness Wandering the City

Post by demoness »

When she arrived back at the House, she went to the back once more and watched the training. There was no real telling who was in charge. Nobody could be found that had the knowing of the troops on the field. Each group was doing something different, which didn’t bother her, but they were doing things in a manner that showed no order.

Not waiting longer, she walked down the field and through the troops, waiting for someone to stop her. Disappointment started to boil over as she walked through them all and not one person questioned who she was or what she was doing there. Really? Are they so accustomed to demons walking through their midst that they wouldn’t question? She continued on until one person finally questioned, though he made a mistake and grabbed her arm. “
Excuse me. Where do you think you are going? Are you supposed to be here?

She pulled her arm away from his grasp and growled as she turned to look at him. A young man barely out of his teens if that. Yet, he was smart enough or stupid enough to grab her and ask questions, something nobody else here had done. “
I am here to speak to whomever is in charge of this….training. I was hoping to show that person a message I have with me. Show me who this person is?” He nodded and led her forward the rest of the way to a man in uniform just like the others, no distinguishing markings on his uniform to show who he was or his rank. There may have been a reason for this, but she couldn’t find it. “This lady said she needed to speak to the man in charge, had a message for him.

The man looked at the youngun and started yelling at him. “
What do you think you are doing bringing someone through the training field to the person in charge without checking their identity or credentials? You take their word for it just because it is what they tell you? What if she was here to kill the person in charge? What would we do then? How would you feel then?

The poor youngun stood there and took the yelling, hanging his head as the man continued on. She stood there and listened to this until the man was done, watching the poor kid. Once the man was done she stepped forward and growled, gathering his attention. “
This young man was the ONLY one out of every single soldier on this field that bothered to stop me. He was even bold enough to put his hand on my arm to get my attention when he stopped me. He was bold enough to ask questions and listened to what I said, bringing me here as I asked. NOW, before you go yelling at him, don’t you think you should ask yourself WHY is this young man the ONLY person on the field that bothered to ask questions at all? Whose responsibility was it that these soldiers be more attentive and their training more thorough?

The man looked at her, stepping back a moment to get a full look at the woman before him. Her armor was a mix of Barbarian and Death, wings of fire on her helm matching the large wings curled up on her back. Her claws looked menacing as she flexed them matching the timbre in her growl, the fire in her voice and eyes. He tried to hide the shiver he felt move up his spine as he spoke up. “
I don’t know who you are, but how dare you speak to me that way? Do you know who I am? I am Lt. Sharmain, the training officer here. What gives you the authority to come in here and question anything?

Her wings spread out to their full length making both men step back a bit and some of the soldiers on the field to take notice finally. With her claws she reached in and pulled out the message, giving it to the lieutenant. As he read she spoke, her voice loud enough to carry across the field. “
am the Demoness Nyssa. I am here to take over the training of the soldiers here, and seems not a bit too soon after what I have seen and heard so far. Everyone may continue with what they are doing right now except the lieutenant and this one right here. Soon, further information will come forth on training.

Color left the lieutenant’s face as he read, even more so as he listened to her speak and the looks that came from the soldiers. He looked up at her, “
Are you the new noble that was to come in?

She leaned over to the boy and asked him in a low voice, “
What’s your name kid?

His face turned a bit crimson as he responded, “
Darius, demoness.

Nodding to his response, she turned back to the lieutenant. “
No, I am not the new noble. I am stepping in for right now until one is named. I’m not too concerned with titles, never asked about it. Just doing as I was told. It would be good for you to all remember that. You and I will be sitting down, lieutenant, to discuss some new training regimes for these soldiers. Darius here is to be working for me directly, if that is alright with him. I like his boldness, tenacity and smarts. For the record, call me Nyssa. Any other questions?

She looked over at Darius and he nodded his agreement to work with her directly, a bit stunned that he would be chosen over all others. The lieutenant shook his head, not having any questions at this time. As she looked out at the field the rest of them started back in with their training, whispers of questions were going on amongst them about what was to come next, the unknown all they had to look forward to. Darius and the lieutenant then led her inside the House and showed her to an office she could use during her stay.
Vespers

Post by Vespers »

Vespers sat perched on the edge of a nearby roof, watching the training. The shadow imp beside her split his attention between her and the view, watching each with equal puzzlement. “As we reported, Lady Vespers, the change in training seems to be going well. There is order here.”

“Mm” was her only comment for several minutes. Her eyes narrowed as she scanned the field and followed the practiced movements below. Finally she looked toward the imp. “It was different before?”

“Yes. It was subtle, but there was something off.” The imp stepped toward her and not incidentally away from the roof's edge. “Why did you wish to see this?”

Vespers smiled her lopsided smile. “Because knowing most of what's going on is the same as knowing nothing. You don't think the training of our soldiers and guards is worth my time?”

“I did not believe you would think so. You are not a martial woman.”

“I'm who I need to be. Let's go.” With that Vespers seemed to vanish into the shadow of the roof's chimney. A few moments later she stood in the doorway to the House. Ignoring the confusion of the practicing soldiers she'd slipped past she lifted her hand to knock.

“You sneak past an army, and then knock on the door?” Vespers thought she heard some amusement under the imp's baffled tone.

“A girl has to have fun once in a while, but that's no reason to be impolite.”

The door opened and Vespers led the imp inside, saying “Is Nyssa in? I'd like to speak to her about the work being done here.”
demoness

Post by demoness »

She was still getting settled in to the office that she had been offered to use while she was working here. Darius was cleaning things up and Sharmain was working on getting her information on every soldier in the House. She needed to speak to every single member and get a feel for them. It didn't matter if they were new recruits or if they were veterans that had been here for years. She needed to find out if the corruption she had heard about was still strong and where it was coming from. One of the people she had to question was Sharmain himself. She felt that he was a blind leader in this matter and did not condone the acts that were taking place. However it has happened, she had to get down to the bottom of how it started and get it under control before too much change could really be affected in the training.

As she was making this decision, she got word that she had a visitor here to see her. The Lady Vespers was at the door. "
Well, show her in already! Don't leave the Lady waiting."

Without thinking about it further, the Lady was shown in to the office where Nyssa was waiting to see her and find out what she was there about.
Vespers

Post by Vespers »

Rumors were like dessert to an army, not necessary for survival but highly sought after and savored. It was only to be expected that when the red-haired woman left Nyssa’s office several hours later, rumors would begin to fly. When she returned a few days later to sit on the edge of the practice field, when she perched on a nearby fencepost and spoke quietly to the imp at hand, when she appeared as if from thin air to take part in their training, the rumors grew more and more wild.

“Things are coming along nicely” she was heard remarking to the imp one day, just loudly enough for those resting near her perch to hear.

They didn’t quite hear the imp reply “With the training Nyssa’s instigated, or the myths about your strange ways?”

Her answering laugh was clear as a bell. “Yes.” With a broad smile she gave Darius a nod, then vanished.

Return to “Realm of Twilight”