Out Of The Office

The City of the Sun
Lamaenor
Guild: Enchanters

Out Of The Office

Post by Lamaenor »

The city couriers were a busy bunch. Always running from one place to another-- Frostfall to Dominium to the winding paths that lead to Abram's Landing, and everywhere in between. Their path, however, always inevitably lead back to their home Devardec.

One such courier who had been away for some months on an errand to Silver Rock scaled the steps in the City Relations Office to the Ambassador's Office. He knocked politely on the door and, hearing "enter" steeled himself to walk in. One never knew what mood the Ambassador-turned-Chancellor would be in. There were times where he had talked the courier's ear off about some 'rune' (as he called it) he was working on. Other times, he'd be so engrossed in a letter or with tinkering on one of his strange contraptions that he had made the courier wait for ages before finally letting him convey his message. Even (stranger) times, he'd be sound asleep at the desk, sleeping through broad daylight, even in the presence of other adventurers having lively conversation.

Adventurers. Strange lot, those.

He took a deep breath and walked in, but was surprised to see not the Chancellor, but another courier like himself. Well, former courier. He worked for the Chancellor in some capacity now, though he was not sure what. Rumours amongst the couriers had it that this 'Jaxon' was now the Chief of Staff for the Chancellor, others insisted he was some familial relation to Lamaenor, some said he was a personal courier, some even insisted he was a spy, either for Devardec or infiltrating Devardec. Who knew.

"Oh, hello Gawain." The figure at the desk barely looked up as he scawled on a parchment on a smaller desk next to the larger one the Chancellor used. "The Chancellor is currently out. Leave your message and I will dictate it. Affix it with your seal and I will do the same with mine and he will issue a response as soon as he is able." He said in a well-rehearsed, bored tone.

"Are you, ah...acting Chancellor then?" Gawain eyed the man at the desk warily.

"Me? Heavens no." Jaxon scoffed. "That would be highly irregular, wouldn't it? I'm just here to take his messages while he is away. Now what is it?"

"When will he be back? I'd rather give this message directly to him." The courier gripped his rolled up scroll more tightly. The Chancellor was known to tip generously.

Jaxon finally looked up and sighed. "Come, Gawain. We've worked together some twenty years. We're both part of the same guild and take the same vow of secrecy. Now you can either direct your message to me, which will be kept with the same confidentiality that you would keep, or you can wait until the chancellor returns. It's up to you. As to when, I don't know. Adventurers always speak in 'otherworldly' times, and only Vasari knows what that means. How am I supposed to know what a Moon-day is? Far as I'm concerned, every day is a moon day. He took off before I could ask for a translation though."

Gawain pondered this. Moon-day? That was odd. Maybe the Chancellor was a Moon Elf and celebrated some odd holiday he hadn't heard of. Either way, he was allowed to transfer responsibility of a message to a fellow courier though, provided the client hadn't requested a specific courier, or given instructions to the contrary. And who knows how long he could be waiting for the Chancellor to return. He nodded.

"Very well. The librarian in Silver Rock I was told to contact wished to inform the Chancellor that the scroll he requested..."

Return to “Devardec”