Getting Started

The City of the Sun
ripshaw

Getting Started

Post by ripshaw »

As the keys rattle in the lock, a small party of people stand behind Ripshaw. Brownstone manner was gifted to him as a place to operate until something further could be provided. With a soft click the first obstacle of his new adventure gives way and the door swings silently inwards. Stepping in the Ranger takes a look around the place. Clean and kept, yet not so used in awhile, the manner seems perfect for what he would use it for. "Grint?" he asks behind him. "Yeah?" his gnome companion replies as he steps in behind. "Have the staff get these windows open and if needed, give the place a quick cleaning. We have a busy few days ahead of us." he says while pulling off his gloves. "We need to be fully operational from this position as soon as possible." Nodding along as he takes in the scene, Grint turns on his heel and begins addressing the folks waiting outside. Ripshaw moves into the back room and peruses the setup. A perfect strategy room is in place on the first floor, equipped with a large table and chairs and room to erect a board for planning and preparation. Taking a seat at the table, the new Admiral of the Devardec Navy unpacks letters, parchment, ink and feather pen. Taking a deep breath, he opens the first letter and officially begins what to him is most likely his greatest challenge to date.

Scribbling away at multiple letters over the last couple of hours, he can hear in the background that his orders were being carried out. Chests of books are carried upstairs that he procured from various libraries throughout the lands. Sheets and linens are brought in to change out the bedroom upstairs. Now and then he can hear the rough voice of Grint, his most trusted companion, making sure things were done how they planned. Rereading his own writings, he nods to himself and sprinkles sand over the ink to help it dry and keep it from smudging. He writes in elaborate script the name "Sylvanna" across the front and lays it aside. Next he begins writing another message, this time to the acting captains of the ships in the Devardec harbor. Time passes and the noises of the house begin to quiet until it is just him alone sitting at the table. Grint enters the room and stands quietly, a thoughtful look on his face. "Out with it." Rip says not looking up from his reading. Shuffling his feet, the gnome doesnt answer. Finally, the Ranger looks up at his friend. "Grint, we have been friends a very long time.. There is no more room for etiquette between us. Whats on your mind?" Smiling, his assistant takes a seat at the table. "Well, we have been soldiers and officers. We made a killing as business men during the titanium forging craze. We have been scouts for all the cities and factions of the lands. Hell Rip! We even saved a goddess from the storms. But.. What in deori, does a ranger of the woods.. Know about ships?" he asks with incredulity.

No lie, he had been expecting this. When the announcement of his appointment went out, even those who knew him best asked the same question. Laying down the letter he had been proof reading, he lets the wind escape audibly through his lips. Leaning back, he thinks on how best to proceed. Looking up at the one being in the lands that had stood with him on his every venture. "I admit bud, that the woods and forests are where I am best suited. I have walked these lands for a very long time and I have never been shy about the ocean. I once worshipped its goddess and carried out her will. Ships are just another tool of both war and commerce. Just like a wagon, a bow, a ram or a trebuchet. Knowing your tools of the trade is just a matter of study and experience. It certainly takes years at sea to call yourself a master of it and there are not too many in the lands these days who can lay claim to such knowledge. But I was asked to do so, and far be it for me to blanch at a challenge." the Admiral states plainly. "Now, as ever I ask before we set off on any adventure.." Grint raises his hand to stop Rip from speaking. "Yeah, yeah.. Im with you, you stubborn old fool." the gnome says into the silence. Smiling wide, the Ranger nods his head. Knowing full well that this gnome would always have his back. "To business then?" he asks.

Raising the first letter.. "This one to sylvanna. I must take a chance, and ask the Rangers for help with the scouting of Gallowhaven. We rangers normally stay out of the affairs of the city, but I am hoping that a favor for a friend and guild mate might sway her decision." Raising the second letter.. "There are a few captains who are already in the employ of devardec. Let each in turn read this letter and have them report to me personally, here at the manner." Raising the third letter.. "This last one to Heimdall. We will have need of some Devardec soldiers if we are to take our ships back. When you are finished, feel free to use the bedroom upstairs for the time being. Id like to have you close in case we encounter any.. problems." Nodding at the instructions, Grint scoops the letters into his monk issue robes. "Where will you sleep?" He asks. "You know me Grint, I hate sleeping indoors. Ill be on the roof." Rip answers, rising from his seat. His companion nods and turns to leave. Ripshaw could swear he heard "stubborn fool" muttered again as the monk walks out of the manner.

Return to “Devardec”