Bandit Attacks Continue

For Devardec and its tribute cities.
Ruler: Magnanimous Jarenmar, the Sun Child
Lamaenor
Guild: Enchanters

Bandit Attacks Continue

Post by Lamaenor »

Lamaenor leans forward on the edge of the ornate chair in the main audience chamber, listening intently as several red-faced, high-ranking nobles debate fiercely in front of him.

"We should root them out now! Send our forces into the forests and hunt them down!"
Lord Devdan, spittle flying from his mouth. Naturally, he'd be the one to suggest that. His solutions tend to involve numerous glorious cavalry charges and naught else.

"Oh, yes. Yes, of course. The forests which these brigands know and love so well. The forests which have been kept them hidden under our very noses for so long. If you want to take your forces into enemy territory, my Lord, far be it for me to stop you. Do let me know how that goes when your forces find yourself suddenly surrounded, or maimed in one of their primitive traps." Lord Naran finished with a smirk. Ever the contrarian. If he had as many astute suggestions as he did protestations, perhaps we'd actually be making some progress...

"My esteemed peer has a point. But have none of you considered diplomacy may be the best option? Surely there's a reason these bandits feel so dispossessed that they have resorted to sacking our caravans and taking our forts. We should at least see what they want. Land? Money? Perhaps their families were lost in one of our wars. Perhaps our armies ruined their farms. They may have legitimate grievances that need to be addressed." Lady Atia Garyk. Ever the diplomat. Perhaps she's on to something, though. Maybe there's a message we're not seeing...

Lord Devdan's large face turned a darker shade of scarlet. If that man's face turns any darker, I shall have to call the healer... "And negotiate with bandits?" The word was practically dripping with contempt. "Diplomacy flew out the window the moment they had the gall to take Pippin Fort! I'll be a cold corpse in the ground before I negotiate with the likes of them. Why, the audacity of you to even mention-"

Well, that's quite enough of that. Lamaenor finally stoodup abruptly, clapping his hands once with a big smile. He looked across the room, beaming at the participants. "My dear Lords and Ladies! What an enlightening and productive conversation we've had. I will be sure to bring your concerns and suggestions to His Majesty at once. He will, no doubt, be thrilled that his court brought so many wonderful ideas. Now, if you'll excuse me!"

Lady Garyk smiled warmly and dipped a short curtsy. Lord Naran's eyes narrowed ever-so-slightly, but he tilted his head in a bow with a thin smile. Lord Devdan seemed caught by surprise before hurriedly snapping to attention and slamming his fist across his broad chest in a military salute, bowing low at the waist.

Lamaenor flourished a low bow before quickly striding out of the room, his guards and secretary following close behind.

"'Enlightening', Chancellor? Interesting choice of words..." Jaxon smirked. Lamaenor stops and pats himself down, mumbling to himself. Now where did I put...A-ha! He procures two sealed letters and hands them to Jaxon.

"My dear Jaxon, half of my job is listening to these nobles and making sure their voices are heard. Whether or not they bring forth valid suggestions, or any suggestions at all is another matter entirely. But! Nobles they are, nonetheless. As such, their voices must be heard and respected - their opinions given careful weight and consideration."

"Oh? So who's suggestion are you taking?" Jaxon asks, looking down at the letters handed to him.

"Why, none of them, of course!" Lamaenor says with a maniacal grin. He readjusts his robe before taking off at a brisk walk. "Now, please take these messages and have them delivered to Lady Satyana and Lord Kollin. See that they arrive right away! There is work to be done!"
Lamaenor

Re: A Letter to the High Lady Umbra

Post by Lamaenor »

High Lady Satyana, Lord Treneth, and Whomever It May Concern,

There was a time not long ago when Lord Treneth approached me about having Devardec's prisoners outsourced to Twilight. I must admit, initially I was hesitant in accepting such an offer. But given the current circumstances with outlaws in our fair realm, I have come to my senses. To be frank - I was young and foolish. I naively defended the rights of some of the worst culprits and aggressors in our Kingdom.

I have come to realize, however, that if one is too lenient, criminals will run rampant, assured in the knowledge that Devardec's punishments are - to put it plainly - weak. The bandit attacks we are enduring have shown me this, and the error of my former thinking. These criminals run amok with impunity. The time of lax punishment must come to an end.

To this end, I have reconsidered your initial offer. Devardec would welcome a gaoler (and a small entourage) to tour our grounds and assess the prisoners. Perhaps from there, we can come to an agreement.

I eagerly await your response on this matter and look forward to a budding relationship between Twilight and Devardec.

Humbly Yours,
Lamaenor
Lamaenor

Re: Bandit Attacks Continue

Post by Lamaenor »

Inmates of the city's dungeon look on as Lamaenor paces the hallway outside the cells, followed by two of his guard and his secretary. Some make rude gestures, some taunt the group, some stare daggers. Others simply ignore the entourage.

The warden of Devardec's jail scurries in front of the group, wringing his hat in his hands nervously as he explains the various features of the building. "...moving into the, ah, the eastern wing here...Surprised we are, Chancellor, that you'd pay us such a visit, heh."

The normally effervescent Lamaenor simply furrows his brow and continues his slow pacing, hands clasped firmly behind his back.

"Ah, right...ah, here we have the, ah...y-your pardons my Lord, but are you, ah-" The jailer looks around before leaning in closer to the Chancellor to whisper more quietly with a concerned look on his face, "Are you sure you want to tour this wing? The scum here would kill you as soon as look at you. And wouldn't think twice about it, neither!"

Lamaenor looks at the man quizzically. "If what you have shown me so far is any indication of your capability as warden, then I quite think I need to see just how poorly you've mismanaged the rest of it."

The color drains from the warden's face. He licks his lips and opens his mouth for a moment as if to speak, but closes it just as quickly. A shaky hand reaches for the key ring at his waist and he opens the heavy oak door.

"Here, ah...here we keep the worst offenders. You can see here how the bars are reinforced with steel. Ah, my idea, that was! Nothing can break through these, I swear my life on it."

"And the confessions? How many confessions have you gotten? What useful information have we gained from these criminals? What do they do for the City while we feed them and allow them to stay on our soil and pay our men to care for them?"

"W-well, we did catch a horse thief and a poacher from -"

"A horse thief and a poacher? That's what you can give me? These bandits of the hammer and gold are rampaging across the countryside, and the best you can give me is a horse thief and a poacher? Unacceptable! Quite unacceptable! I've heard quite enough, warden. I don't know that the city can even recover from your gross mismanagement of these facilities. Effective immediately, you are relieved of your duties."

The warden stammers in disbelief. One of Lamaenor's guards steps forward and drags the protesting warden away. The inmates in the cells exchange glances.

Lamaenor turns to his remaining entourage. "Now, send word to Twilight. Perhaps they can send us an effective warden pro tempore until they come for these criminals. I think it's quite time we get some real answers. I've heard Twilight's...unique methods prove quite fruitful. A shame about the casualty rates, but that's fewer mouths to feed. With the bandit attacks, though, we can afford to feed fewer prisoners. Hmmm..."

Lamaenor looks around at the prisoners in the cells for a moment, tapping his chin as he surveys them like a merchant would some valuable wares.

"I don't trust this former warden, though. Who knows what knowledge remains to be tapped here? ...Hm. Give these women and men the opportunity to redeem themselves. Give each a hearing. Any who have information that may be useful to the City may stay here. The rest shall await processing to be sent to Twilight."

At that, he nods decisively and waves his hands ceremoniously while chanting a spell. He disappears in a soft *pop*.
Lamaenor

Post by Lamaenor »

Lamaenor and his majordomo Jaxon are taking a tour of the battlements, followed by two of the chancellor's guards.

"So, the prisoners?" Jaxon asks.

Lamaenor continues to pace the battlements, hands clasped behind his back. He doesn't answer.

"What's shipping them off to Twilight gonna do? These bandits are eager enough to die. Can't even capture any before they fall on their sword. If they weren't scared of the dungeons before...well, respectfully, I don't think the threat of going to another dungeon will deter them much."

Lamaenor stops at a crenel and looks out at the East Coast Road. "Yes, I should think you're quite right about that. These bandits of gold and hammer have proven remarkably elusive and tenacious. If the threat of death and dismemberment doesn't slow them down, a slightly more intimidating prison probably won't either."

He pauses for a moment and takes a deep breath. Leaning on the parapet, he continues, "Which is precisely why I'm not concerned with them at the moment. Not that I don't want to be. Oh, no. I just can't be. So! If we can't capture them, can't find them, and can't defeat them right out, what do we do?"

Jaxon leans against the merlon. "I have a feeling you're about to tell me."

"We go after their friends! You see, thus far, our offer of gold for information has proved fruitless. So it appears that their friends are loyal enough to refrain from selling them out.Thus, where honey has failed to catch the fly, we must try vinegar! Surely there is someone in our dungeons with sufficient underworld connections to lead us to these vagabonds. While the bandits may have the tenacity and faithfulness to fall on their swords rather than sell out their companions, their friends - when given the opportunity - will hopefully prove more compliant. After all, they have nothing to gain in their current situation for their loyalty, and everything to lose. After all, who wants to be put into the iron maiden for a cause they're not even a part of?" He shudders dramatically, and then looks at Jaxon, concerned. "You did have the rumors of the iron maiden planted, didn't you?"

Jaxon grins and nods. "And other torture devices besides. Did you know they'll boil you alive if you so much as look at a guard funny?"

Lamaenor's eyes widen. "No! Do they?"

Jaxon shrugs. "No clue. But that's what the rumor is now." He smirks. "Hopefully this plan of yours works. Hearings start before long. Soon, every inmate in there will have the chance to spill the beans. Who knows? We may even catch some more poachers and horse thieves!"
Treneth
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Of Dread

Post by Treneth »

Sitting at his desk, within the large sprawling complex of the gaol of Twilight, Treneth was reading a latest report in regards to current inmate mortality. The numbers were high, and he gave a rather sly perhaps pleased smile. "Less burden to the public coin coffers," he inwardly mused then chucked the scroll aside as he reached for another on his desk. He immediately recognized the seal of Devardec, along with the personal wax sigil of Chancellor Lamaenor.

"Well, well..." he mused and flicked the wax seal open with a thumbnail, and began to read. So it seemed the man had finally come to his senses. This pleased Treneth greatly, as it would his own superiors. Setting aside the scroll, Treneth took out his own parchment and quill and set to a reply.

Greetings Chancellor,

We are pleased you have indeed come to your senses and reevaluated your stance on our previous offer. I would be more than happy to once more discuss our proposal with you, and come to a much more current and beneficial agreement for both our great cities.
Do indeed contact me as to when would be a most fortuitous time in which to meet with you and tour your grounds.

Regards,

Return to “Realm of Devardec”