The Trouble with Vampires

Other Stories
Rhaegos
Guild: Monks

The Trouble with Vampires

Post by Rhaegos »

Evil comes in many forms, but so does Good.

<Sitting in the Rainbow room of The Guild, Rhaegoos is deep in thought>

Balance in all things is I know is a Truth. As is Harmony in all things. Druids and Monks are not so unlike in that regard. We both strive for each. Vampires though, how do they fit in the order of Balance and Harmony when their very being drains the essence or life force of those they feed on?

I accused Satyana of the attacks against me, for which she denied involvement and I accepted her answer because she, in detail, explained how she would attack me. I also showed her a weapon that these vampires used and she scoffed, stating “Her vampires use better weapons or natural weapons”.

Alioik confronted me as well, he explained what he was, although I barely understood any of it. Perhaps my own experiences are not vast enough to fully understand. It’s humbling to know, that I still have so much to learn before reaching enlightenment.

My struggle is, how do or how does Vampirism fit into the Natural Order of things? How do Vampires bring Balance or Harmony to anything, when by their very nature they seek to destroy and take what is not theirs? <hmmm>

“Is that not what I do, in combat?” <Rhaegos shakes his head> “No, I’m not using my opponent's life force to sustain myself, that...just sounds dirty”. “I do not take life without cause, or do I?” <pacing back and forth he feels no closer to a conclusion. Novices standing outside the room listening quietly walk away whispering to each other about the odd behaviors of the Brother Dragonkin since his attack by Vampires>
Rhaegos -
Brother of The Monks Guild,
Follower of The Way
Seeker of Balance and Harmony
Guild Officer
Avyra

Re: The Trouble with Vampires

Post by Avyra »

Cloaked in invisibility and floating on the breeze, the vampiress stalked the Barbarian’s guild, hoping to catch sight of her prey. When the two dragonkin approached, she was completely disinterested; at first. Then Satyana, curse her, showed her face, and the conversation took a decidedly interesting turn. The young dragonkin, his coloring a lovely carmine, was antsy. There’d been an attack on the two Monks by a swarm of vampires; Satyana denied any involvement in the attack, even though she’d been openly teasing the young dragonkin about gifting her blood.

Avyra felt the tickle in the back of her mind that signaled the presence of the other. There was the sensation of someone looking over her shoulder, then some commentary.

So it was you? Affirmation as Avy’s eyes glanced to the massive blade strapped the ebon dragonkin’s back. It will take more than a swarm or two of yours to take that one, I’m afraid.

Sarcastic commentary, making Avyra chuckle softly to herself.

And you made a good choice in choosing to find more worthy agents. Still, we’ll have to be careful.

Annoyance, then agreement. Questions.

No. I haven’t seen him yet. But this… this event may prove useful.

Curiosity echoed in her mind as Avy watched the Queen of the Damned and the Monk’s Guildmaster share a parting hug, the two dragonkin moving to return to Devardec.

You see, the one you want. Well, he’s part of Satyana’s entourage. If we… hmmm… spread rumors of this attack. Make it seem like Satyana is at fault, then perhaps we can draw him out? He seems the loyal type.

Doubt, but also a sense of disinterest. There was no real loss if the plan failed.

And perhaps… She considered what she had seen, the mannerisms of the two monks. The Guild Master seemed protective of the younger one, possibly even maternal. Perhaps we can kill two birds with one stone.

The sense of a raised eyebrow, then a shrug. Smirking, Avyra floated off into Frostfall. She knew the perfect gossip who would positively love to hear how Satyana was directing hordes of vampires to attack innocent monks.
Alioik
Guild: Barbarians

Post by Alioik »

Alioik hadn't been spending much time in cities lately, he had been busy completing tasks for his guild. The tasks are what motivated him to better himself, they were one of the reasons that he loved his guild. Upon completing tasks Ali would usually stop by a bar and have a quick drink before setting off back to his guild and it is here where he first heard the whispers.

Ali was hunched over his ale and could hear people talking quietly and quickly behind him. "... corrupt leadership... All unholy demons... look there is one now..." He had no idea what the people were talking about so he kept to himself and continued to drink his ale. After a while the talking became louder and angrier, it seemed like the drinks being had were making people more willing to share their thoughts. Ali felt a finger roughly poke him in the back. Normally people wouldn't approach him so he was surprised by this. He turned slowly and was met with a man, obviously drunk.

"Are you one of them?" asked the man.

"What do you mean?" casually asked Ali.

"You know one of those creatures from the North, you know, Frostfall..."

"You mean a member of the Barbarians guild?"

"So you are one! A dirty vampire!!"

Ali was taken aback by this. He was a member of Theatre les Vampires, but most people didn't call him a vampire. He really wasn't a true vampire but he did need blood to survive. Then it hit him: the man had though just because he was in the Barbarians guild, he was a vampire...

"Why would you assume I was a vampire just because I was a Barbarian?"

"We all know your guild master is Satyana, and she is the leader of all the vampires, ain't she? She has been sending vampires to attack people all over the lands. They ain't even done nothing to deserve being attacked, but the vamps still come!"

"Sir, I can assure you, Satyana isn't sending vampires to attack people. This has nothing to do with her or the Barbarians..."

"You just sayin that because you are a member of her evil pack. If you don't want no trouble leave this bar!"

Ali looked around as several people in the bar stood up looking like they wanted to fight. While Ali was confident in a fight, he didn't want to hurt these people. It would just prove what they were saying was true. It would only add to their fear of the Barbarians and the Theatre. He put his empty mug on the bar, turned, and left. As he walked into the night, he heard cheering coming from the bar. How did these rumors start, and who was spreading them? He needed to find out. Then he remembered that there was a monk who had expressed doubts about vampires and Satyana before. She had taunted this monk before, but it was just that: taunting. He resolved himself to go to the Monk's guild to ask some questions.
Alioik

Post by Alioik »

Alioik stomps his way to the gate on Monks’ guild still fuming from the encounter at the bar. Disregarding the hour, he pounds his fist against the gate and yells, “Ho to the Monks, I seek out one from your number named Rhaegos. I have questions and he has the answers that I seek!” Ali continues to bang on the gate...

Night time in The Guild is peaceful, quiet (usually) and a time for inflection and balancing one's self. There is a Harmony to the rhythms of the silence that soothes you into a very relaxed state of being. It’s one of my most sought after times of the day when I can be alone with my thoughts.

Suddenly pounding can be heard on the outside of The Guild, a muffled call for something. Perhaps there is another Rift and more golems that need dispatching. Perhaps it is a drunkard who has lost his way. <breathing calmly> ((they’ll come get me if they need me)).

Shuffling can be heard down the hallway ((apparently they need me)) “Brother Rhaegos” says a Novice, “There is an angry man requesting your attention at the door”. This peaks my curiosity indeed. I gather myself, bow to an Elder in the room and depart. Once I get to the door I see the Barbarian known as Alioik standing there. He looks none too pleased with me.

Bowing, “Good Day Master Alioik, how may I be of assistance?”

Ali looks angrily at the monk,”So, there have been some rumors circulating about Satyana and my guild: negative rumors. Apparently people are now starting to think that if you are in the Barbarians’ guild you are an evil vampire being sent to attack innocents! You are the only person I know who has been vocal about their dislike of vampires, so I ask you, are you the source of these rumors?”

“Well, I..I do not have much love for Vampires. I’ll give you that”. Rhaegos looks down at the ground considering his next words carefully. “Outside of private conversations with my Guild Master and the conversation I had with your Guild Master, I’ve not said anything public against Vampires. At least not to my recollection”.

“I know you have spoken out against vampires, but I care not if you remember doing so. I’m here to ask you to stop spreading rumors if indeed it is you, and to assure you that Satyana is not hiding a nest of attack vampires to do her bidding.”

Rhaegos looks taken aback, his fists clench, speaking in very loud voice “Good Sir, I assure you that I, a Brother of The Monks Guild has not, nor ever would, spread rumors. I have spoken my peace and laid my accusations to your Guild Master Satyana, for which she has provided an adequate response to quell my concerns”. His feet shift slightly.

The conversation was interrupted when the doors of the guild shifted, allowing Fearecia to prowl through them. She looked at the two, Alioik clearly fuming, and Rhaegos clearly containing his own indignation. “What seems to be the trouble?” she asked softly. The two men fill her in quickly enough, keeping their sides of it short and terse. The ebon dragonkin took a moment to consider the situation, then said softly, “Ali, I do not think Rhae is the culprit you seek. I was there when he spoke to Saty, and his suspicions of her involvement in the attack on us were laid to rest.” She considered the much smaller, crimson kin beside her. “While he may still be struggling with finding his own sense of how vampires belong in this world, he is not the kind to sow dissention such as you are implying. Asides, he is very much aware of how Satyana and I are close. The actions you speak of would earn not only her wrath, but my own as well, and I sincerely doubt he’s that much a fool.”

Alioik’s anger supsides when he sees his friend backing up her guild members story. His thoughts then turn inwards. If the rumors weren’t spread by Rhaegos, then who were they spread by? How was he going to clear the name of his guild and guildmaster? He looked up at Rhaegos and Fearecia. “I offer my profound apologies to you both for having suspected you of spreading these rumors. While part of the Theatre, I have never felt the prejudice that people who are more obviously vampires have. People just think I’m a Barbarian with warpaint on my face…” He has a deep breath and considers his next words, “However I cannot let these rumors continue to tarnish the reputation of the guild I love. If you will excuse me I’m off to see who started them. After I find this person, these rumors will stop.”

Alioik turns away from the gate of the Monks’ Guild and walks quietly back into the night considering his next steps carefully. He needed to find out who was behind these malicious rumors, and needed to find out quickly.
Avyra

Post by Avyra »

Alioik made his way to another bar in the city of Devardec, trying to make sure that he didn’t come into contact with those who has made a fuss before. He knew that this would be a good place to gather information.

*~*~*~*

See? Loyal.

Grudging acknowledgement greeted the mental commentary as Avyra watched Alioik trudge away from the Monks’ guild, his confusion and frustration evident. The vampiress smirked. She had him right where she wanted him. Now, to reel him in.

She stalked him to a bar, waiting for him to sit down and get comfortable. She hardly wanted to alarm him. No, this was going to take a bit of finesse. Patiently, like a lion in the grass, she waited, letting Alioik get halfway into his first drink before letting her enchantments fall away, stepping into the dim light of the smoky establishment. Graceful as a cat she slid into the seat next to him, placing her back to the well stained wood of the bar.

“I know who’s behind the attacks,” she said, almost absently, golden gaze watching the patrons as if she wasn’t remotely interested in Alioik at all.

Ali’s head jerked around suddenly, not really sure if he had heard the words correctly. He looked over to the woman who had suddenly appeared in the seat next to him. “How do you know what I am looking for, and what do you know about the attacks?”

The battlemage offered him a smirking smile, fangs flashing. Almost absently, she drew a corrupted short sword out of her pack, reaching around to set it in front of Alioik on the bar. “There is much I know, little Hemomancer. The thugs of the one you seek use that as a weapon.”

Ali caught a glimpse of the fangs of the woman sitting next to him. Ah, so she was a vampire herself. Maybe she had been searching for answers as he was? “I seek to clear the name of my guild and my guildmaster; any information you could give me would be of great help.” Then the thought suddenly hit him: how did she know he was a hemomancer? He thought the only one that understood his origin was Satyana.

She smiled, spinning on the stool to face him fully. “The one you seek goes by the name Adria Karkegard. However, she is a powerful foe.” She paused a moment, considering the situation. “I will help you destroy her, if you’d like.”

“Hur hur hur hur… I am a mighty Barbarian, many foes have fallen to my axe! I am not sure that I will need help dispatching this foe. However, I would not mind to company of one that has a similar condition as my own. Also, it would be nice to have someone show me the way.”

Avyra’s golden gaze darkened. “You know not the foe you face. Her power makes Satyana look like nothing more than a child in comparison.” She scowled. “I have faced her before, and only escaped by Naria’s grace. Trust me when I saw we only barely stand a chance together. However…” she cast a sidelong glance at the Barbarian. “Should this Adria fall, I can tell you that you will benefit greatly.”

Alioik looked into Avyra’s eyes and saw her intensity as she told him of their common foe. “It seems I have underestimated this Adria and I apologize, I didn’t mean to sound over-confident. I will accept your help on this task, in fact I look forward to it. I am still mourning the loss of my favorite axe, and am still getting used to the balance of my new weapon. Some backup would be nice!”

The vampiress considered him a moment, appraising him to make sure he was sincere. Finally, she nodded. “When will you be ready to leave?”

See? Piece of cake. He’ll be yours in no time.

Amused chuckling echoed in her mind.

“I’m ready to go at any time, I travel light since I need not carry provisions, as long as we come across a couple strong beasts I can travel as rapidly as you wish.”

“Then let us not dawdle.” Smirking, she slid off the stool, stalking out of the bar, sure Alioik would be close behind.
Avyra

Post by Avyra »

The two quasi-humans set a brutal pace through the Wyrm Spine, swiftly crossing terrain with their respective blood-borne power. Along the way, a mighty blue dragon fell to their combined strength. Avyra watched with fascination as Alioik performed his blood ritual, casually querying him about the specifics. The information could only prove useful, after all. Steadily, she and the hitchhiker in her head formed a plan.

Such was their speed that they found themselves roaming the streets of Gallowhaven in almost no time, the guards giving them sidelong glances. With a surety borne of directions whispered in her mind, Avyra led the way, climbing trellises and crossing rooftops to the dark, abandoned manor. Down the chimney they went, dropping into an opulent bedroom of the manor. Not bothering to even wait for Alioik to dust the soot from his armor, Avyra prowled deeper into the old home, headed quickly downstairs.

At the base of the stairs hung a giant portrait of two lovely, but very pale people; a couple, judging by their posture. Standing close together on an icy landscape, the snow in the background almost seemed colorful compared to their skin, so pale were the pair. Blood red eyes gazed arrogantly out at the pair who dared trespass on the grounds, almost promising certain death in retribution.

Following Avyra’s pace had been quite the task for Alioik, but he took a moment to gaze a the portrait at the base of the stairs. Of course, it all made sense now; there was another powerful vampire in this world and it was her who had attacked the Monk.

“She’s down here,” Avyra murmured, easily shifting the painting to one side to reveal a hidden passageway. “Best get your weapons ready. I’ll back you up with my spells.” Even as she spoke, Avyra drew her dagger, the crackle of energy and whispering of words calling a spell to her lips.

We’re coming in.

The sense of a nod. She was ready.

With a low “hur hur hur,” Alioik drew his axe, taking the lead down the dark passageway, the battlemage close on his heels. Down the stairs they went, careful footfalls echoing softly against the damp stone walls. Slowly, they followed the winding corridor, taking their time to peek around corners. After a short bit, the hall opened up to an underground chamber, an orange light casting dancing shadows as it swung overhead.

Alioik paused a moment to look over his shoulder at the vampiress, seeking direction. She nodded towards the south, indicating where the prey usually hid. The barbarian looked towards the southern chamber, his eyes trying to pierce the darkness gathered in the adjacent room.

For a brief moment, the shadows shifted and there was a flash of perfectly pale skin and raven hair. Alioik gripped his axe handle tightly, preparing to charge.

He never saw the pommel of the dagger coming straight for his temple, wielded with the unearthly speed and strength of the undead. Avyra smirked as the Barbarian crumpled like a sack of potatoes, a neat gash on his head from the impact letting blood trail all over his face and hair.

“You can come out now.”

Smirking, the Countess emerged from her shadows, her faithful dogs and thralls trailing behind her. “Well done,” she said, the voice simmering with seductive tones as she crouched in down in front of the Barbarian, rolling the unconscious man onto his back. “Yes. I can see why he wanted this one. He’s a powerful specimen.”

The battlemage merely chuckled, thinking of how easy it had been to fell him. “For a mortal, perhaps.”
Avyra

Post by Avyra »

“You’re sure this will work?”

The Countess Adria Karkegard chuckled at the silly battlemage. “I’m sure it will. I watched his ritual through your eyes. My hold on him will only be that much stronger for it.” She smirked before simply reaching down with one hand, ripping off his armor by snapping the leather thongs that held it together. “First, we injure him.” Taking the opposite hand, she brought her fingernails down, ripping open the Barbarian’s chest as if it was butter. Alioik moaned, the pain registering even in his unconscious state. Shifting her weight to one foot, the Countess waited with a predatory gleam in her eyes, watching the blood begin to pool on the ground around Alioik. Almost absently, she licked the blood from her nails, considering the flavor.

Avy chuckled as she leaned back against a wall, idly toying with the dagger. “How’s he taste?”

“The curse lends him a fascinating zing. Care to try?” The Countess smirked, looking over to the battlemage.

Avyra shook her head. “I may find him too tasty. Wouldn’t want to break your toy.” She offered the Countess a feral smile, fangs flashing.

Adria chuckled and nodded. “True. Your habits sometimes leave things to be desired.” She considered Alioik a moment, then nodded. “That should do.” Without pause, the Countess took a nail and slit her own wrist, letting the blood gush across her hand. Carefully, she rubbed the blood into Alioik’s skin, mimicking the moves she’d seen in the ritual through Avyra’s eyes. Satisfied when the blood mist began to form, Adria licked her wound shut, tucking one of her daggers in Alioik’s pack with the other hand. She then promptly punched him in the face, making sure he’d stay unconscious for a while longer. “Take him back to Devardec. Claim you killed me, barely, and healed him with your own blood. With any luck, he’ll believe the extra strength he feels comes from you.”

Avyra nodded, putting her dagger back in its sheath as she strode over, easily picking up the larger Barbarian and throwing him over her seemingly frail shoulder. “And after that?”

“I’ll be in touch,” Adria said dismissively, striding back to the southern chamber, followed by her attendants. Avyra stayed a moment, glaring at the Countess’ back, anger boiling a bit at being so dismissed. She noted with some interest that the Countess prowled over to a large bowl, the surface lighting up as the Countess approached.

Interesting. The anger evaporated into curiosity, but, not now. She’d have to find out what that was about later. Chanting the words to a group teleport spell, she took herself and Alioik out of the chamber, back to the relative safety of Devardec.
Alioik

Post by Alioik »

Alioik awoke slumped over a bar, he raised his head to take in his surroundings. He wasn't sure how he had gotten here. The last thing he had remembered was going with Avyra to confront the rumor spreading Countess. He remembered getting going through a house, feeling that he was getting closer to his goal. He remembered a painting and a staircase, however after that he was drawing a blank. He felt his face with his hands, and his cheeks felt dry and crusty. He also felt strong as if he had completed his blood ritual. However, by the feel of his cheeks, the blood was not still fresh. He must have killed the countess and taken her blood. His hands dropped into his back and met the handle of a dagger. He pulled it out and stared. It was a beautifully crafted dagger, with a bone handle and a clearly magical blade. You could see all the way through the blade, like it was the ghost of a blade. It felt comfortable in his hands, this must have been the spoils from his battle. A picture then formed in his mind, he had been injured in his fight but he had survived. Completing the blood ritual hadn't returned his strength immediately, so Avyra carried him back to Devardec. His mouth felt dry, so he looked over at the bartender and ordered an ale. He sat back in his chair and considered his next moves. He needed to leave to the frozen North to complete his next task for the Barbarians, but he also needed to speak to Fearecia. He would stop by her guild and if she wasn't there he would speak to her when he returned.

Return to “Roleplay Story Strings”