A new Wizard, and a new Friendship

Messages for the Wizards' Guild
BeardedMagi

A new Wizard, and a new Friendship

Post by BeardedMagi »

Greetings fellow wizards, I have met some of you already, but for those who I have not yet met my name is Valsynius. I've been a wizard for not very long, and have been quietly trying to understand out ways this whole time. In my late night studies I read over our histories and found myself more, and more enamored with our Dragons. They were guardians, travelling companions, and even friends. It seemed that throughout time wizards and their dragons sought each other out. All wizards of course wished to earn a dragon, but I found it odd that their dragons always seemed to...mesh with them so well, like they were meant to be joined from before either of them knew it. As hard as one sought their dragon it seemed the dragons were always either searching for their companion as well, or waiting for the day their young wizard would seek them out. I wish to tell the story of how I found my companion.

As I am often apt to day I left Devardec one evening to roam about the lands. The hustle and bustle of town tended to grate on my nerves. People are always talking with nothing to say, unnecessary noise like a cacophony filling my ears. So I wandered north through the mountains, on and on I wandered, letting my thoughts similarly wander where they willed. It came to pass that I grew tired and sat in the snow, content to simply sit and watch the evening pass. Time crawled on and as the night grew longer I noticed more and more often something would pass over head, obscuring my view of the stars. Now mind you I had just gotten comfortable, and was finally unwound at this point. Seeing this creature ruin my tranquility with its flying about for some reason struck a nerve, and so brushing off the snow which had accumulated about my person I begun to follow this bothersome beast.

Over time I came to realize it would slow and circle, as if it wanted me to follow it. "Well by all means, make this easier for me," I thought to myself as I trudged through the snow. On and on I walked and it led until finally the frozen ground began to give way to small groups of trees which struck out from the frosty ground in defiance. These small wooded areas grew more and more frequent until finally I found myself wandering through a densely packed forest. Each time as I prepared to abandoned this fools errand that my temper had placed upon me I would notice a marked tree, and once even a large green scale. "A dragon then, that must be the source of this foolishness," and so onward I continued until I found myself in a clearing.

Lazing about the center of this clearing was this magnificent green dragon, its scales seeming to glow in the star light. "Finally the little man comes to visit. I wondered how long those stubby little legs would take to finally catch up with me. Tell me then dwarf, now that you're finally here, what purpose was there in you trudging all over my garden? Hmm? You just stomp your feet all over my mountain side, crushing every ready to bloom flower. I've been waiting MONTHS for just this night, and you with careless attitude crushed all of my hard work," he growled at me as I walked into the clearing. I'd barely broken into the starlight when this rambling beast begun its tirade. "Flowers? Trudging? STUBBLY LITTLE LEGS?", I exclaimed as I approached the beast. "I come up here for some peace and quiet, and all I can do is watch you fly here and there, blocking my view, and ruining my solitude." From here things went, well, poorly. I screamed, he growled back, and for the next several hours we argued. Back and forth, up and down, we argued on and on. I ruined his plants, he ruined my peace. My quiet was gone, his peaceful planting was destroyed. It seemed the more we complained about each other, the more we were complaining about essentially the same things. Finally when we'd both worked ourselves into a frenzy I threw my hands up in exasperation, and moved to stand right in front of him. "You are the most infuriating creature I have ever met, and if I cant have my peace than neither shall you. Welcome to the stubbornness of dwarves," and with that I threw myself upon his back and settled in. I recall laughing like a loon as I cast a holding spell upon us, affixing myself to his back.

For the next several days we traveled together, joined as one. We bickered back and forth, only at meal times did our we stop, and it was during this time that we sat, me perched atop him, and spoke as almost friends. We would wear each other out, only to sit peacefully and eat what nature had provided us. He never once in all that time killed another beast for a meal, but often we would amuse ourselves with striking down the strongest and the weakest of beasts. The strongest were killed for their hubris, and the weakest struck down for their failure to thrive. After several days I released my hold upon him and still we remained, never wandering far from each other. Over time I began to realize I had let my studies fall to the wayside, and upon mentioning this to him the beast laughed. Suddenly my vision blurred and a terrible ache sprung up between my ears. Blackness surrounded me and this was all I knew. When I awoke I found myself seated as I had been days, weeks, months? earlier. At my feat a small flower had struggled through the frozen ground, its harsh red leaves defiantly thrust above the pale snow. Confused I looked about, only to find the Dragon looming atop me. His voice filled my ears as he spoke to me, "Fret not my little friend, they haven't missed you. Our time together has all been in your head, an illusion. I've waited for you for a long while, but I had to be sure I found one as stubborn and irritable as I. Now try not to crush my garden this time when you stand, and lets begin our journey for real this time."

Forgive me for the long telling of this story, I know it tended to get long in the tooth there. I finally have a companion of my own, and it seems that I was correct in my assumption. Our kind and theirs are linked, neither of us whole until one meets the other. I suppose its Fate, that we are drawn to our companions across the lands. I look forward to learning from, and hope he learns from me. The relationship between wizard and dragon is a constant battle with neither side dominating the other, but each seeking to press the other to greatness, or at least to make the best of themselves.

Val, 28th day of First Growth the year 468
natalia
Immortal of Light
Temple: Light

Re: A new Wizard, and a new Friendship

Post by natalia »

Welcome Val, and congrats on your life long mate! I'm sure your dragon will take great care of you, and you of him.
sherrie
Guild: Wizards

Re: A new Wizard, and a new Friendship

Post by sherrie »

Congratulations Val,

A true achievement to find your dragon friend. I look forward to meeting him.

Return to “Wizards' Guild”