GM Nomination - Faraday

Messages for the Warlocks' Guild
Faraday
Guild: Warlocks

GM Nomination - Faraday

Post by Faraday »

'lo Warlocks.

A few of you have approached me and asked if I was going to run for GM and I've not been able to provide a concise answer until now. As some of you know, I'm not a fan of jumping through hoops, aren't your stereotypical Warlock and am astutely aware that being a GM is a huge undertaking to do it justice. I'm currently a GL as you know and the purpose of this when Pari and I discussed me taking on the role, was, and still is, one of assistance. I'm around, I'm knowledgeable and I can help out members with pretty much most guild related, or realm related for that matter, questions and queries when I'm available.

Being a GM - a proper GM - means doing things for others, which in some ways goes against the established ethos of the Warlocks' Guild. I've struggled with this element of the decision process to run perhaps the most.

As with anything I do in the realms - be it questing, hunting, exploring - I always have a goal in mind - complete the task as efficiently as possible and look to improve my efficiency to perform it again in the future. I trust my in-realm record in this regard serves as sufficient evidence of this to lend credibility to the statement. Approaching the GMship would be no different.

It's with this in mind, I'm announcing my intention to run in a bit of a different way than has typically been done in the past. Warlock's by our nature, usually have ulterior motives. Secret agenda's, plots, plans, intruiging mysteries we're embarked upon. Election time here is usually no different with candidates having their own reasons for running which may or may not be known at the time of the election. As I'm going to have to suspend part of my interpretation of the guild ethos in order to nominate myself for GM and be expected to do things for others, I've decided the easiest way to announce my candidacy is to suspend the ulterior motive element here also to better support my nomination and let the guild know what's in it for me. I believe complete transparency will serve both our interests best.

So - what do I get out of this?

I'm in it for the GM perks. The allure of a tax free existence here, to let me come and go as I please to venture out and complete more quests, kill more creatures and find the secrets I've yet to uncover, is the main reason I'm running for GM. I've no real interest in getting involved in internal politics, running councils or typical guild led social activities and for the most part, I wouldn't do this in the usual manner.

As I'd be receiving a tangible otherwordly benefit for my time focused on the guild, it's only fair that you, the guild, understand what you'd be getting out of the deal.

So - what does the guild get out of this?

To answer this, I need to provide a resume of sorts, which lists out my skillset and what I'm offering in return so you can see if you get value for your vote.

1) I've solved the guild.

This means I know all the chants, quests, item summons, locations & secrets the guild has to offer. The range of administrative services I can and will provide to guild members are below:

- Staff of Sorcery always available in the Entrance Hall for new members. Initially, I'll keep the location stocked with them until I recruit some GL's - then if they're interested, they can help conjure up some sort of small RP relating to this where members can summon them in themselves.

- Maelstrom mount, regularly stocked. Another activity also to be shared with GL's once they're on-board.

- Pentagram Tattoo & Bloody Sinew made available for guild members, who don't mind completing a small quest. This may or may not be an activity shared with GL's. It would depend on the GL's ability to set quests specific to a Warlocks skillset (or lack thereof <eg>).

- Shadow Dragon & Aura of Malevolence areas opened for those who meet the requirements and want to venture in to solve those places.

- Cryptic clues as necessary to access some of the hidden shops, quests & areas like Venn, the Maelstrom or the Unseen Presence.

- Tailored titles for Guild Members, based on member submitted evidence of suitability.

The above covers most processes the Guild Leadership are required to administrate for the membership - I'll cover the reward scheme a little later in my nomination.

2) I've mastered the wizard.

For most basic functional tasks in Terris, I use aliases which trigger speedwalks running as macros. For some of the more complex activities, I run multiple triggered aliases to facilitate it (there is a line limit on aliases, so you do eventually run out of characters the wizard accepts in an alias and have to trigger another alias to keep it running !).

To give a taster, I've included a very basic example below. A complete colour spell up - this is a utility macro, it comes in especially handy when you've only got limited time to perform the task - monsters may be nearby! Having access to this is something I believe any self respecting Warlock should have in their arsenal. I'm providing the snippet below both as evidence of what I can help people achieve in addition to providing something which may be of real value to members of the guild.

(I've also now added this to my Wiki page too which has some additional help on speedwalks here: https://www.legendsofterris.com/wiki/in ... le=Faraday)

Spell Up - Target Person Version

To add this to the Wizard go to Config > Aliases > In Alias Name: SPELLCOLORS > In Alias add:

cast 61&~~~&t ?;;cast 44&~~&t ?;;cast 47&~~&t ?;;cast 50&~~&t ?;;cast fly&~~&t ?;;cast gills&~~&t ?;;cast 100&~~&t ?;;cast 54&~~&t ?;;cast 55&~~&t ?;;cast 56&~~&t ?;;cast 57&~~&t ?;;cast 58&~~&t ?&

Tick the Run as a Macro box > Click Add Alias > Click OK.

To run it, in the Wizard enter: SPELLCOLORS > Hit Return

A prompt box will appear > Type the name of the person you want to target with a full spell up (type your own name if yourself) > Hit Return.

Provided you have all of the spells, this will then proceed to give a full colour up to the intended recipient.

Note: Dependant on skill/spell level, for unbalance timers you may need to add additional pauses.
~ is a 1 second pause between commands.

Just to be clear - I'm not offering to share my own archive of aliases, speedwalks & macro's with the guild - that would technically go against OGC Policy for the contents of some of them, but I can help with basic utility alias & speedwalk creation which will help unlock the powers they possess. I likely will share a few other useful utility macro's over time (eg. Complete Armor Harden - HUGE time saver), but nothing which completes quests, creates items or travels to hidden locations. I will help you create your own though and give advice with tangible value, on how to overcome some of the challenges you can face when creating them to do certain things.

To give you more of an idea of what you can achieve I'll give you one of my better examples which goes beyond simple utility. In order to solo Strelleg the Fire Giant King for my kill tally, I created a series of speedwalks which ran me from the Huge Crack, all the way into the Fire Giants, completing the necessary quests, chants, commands etc. as I went. I ran through all the swarms, into his chamber and got off one assassination attempt before I recalled. On a clear run, execution time was around the 35-40 second mark.

Unfortunately, running this did come with its own challenges - many times I would get unhidden and advanced before it could complete - so being able to override it with a quick recall now and again was essential but.. with this series of speedwalks I was able to finally solo Strelleg. It still made the task challenging but to do this using more traditional methods would be exceptionally tedious if not nigh on impossible. Once I had this sequence locked down, within two days I had him beat.

Knowledge is power, so as GM I'll endeavour to share with you the knowledge to use the tools at our disposal here efficiently so you can use them to make your existence here a little bit easier too. (I run most aliases as GOTOLOCATIONNAME - then run there!)

3) I'm active with a purpose.

When I'm in the realms, I'm always doing something. My main focus and goals here are not a secret. Killing things, completing quests and unlocking secrets are always actively in progress whenever I'm about.

A number of Guild Hunts I've been involved with in the past have been to the easier to reach locations and swarms and whilst I can of course help facilitate trips to those places from time to time if anyone needs to get somewhere for a kill or a quest, I tend to go to some of the more exotic places to achieve what I need. My intention, if I'm succesful as GM, is to open up what I'm up to and invite the membership to join me and achieve things together, if they so wish. This will be in place of the more typical hunt style activities.

A small selection of a few things currently in my to-do list:

- Head into Pragma.
I personally need 3 specific kills in there, but there are a lot of activities to do once in there. Provided people meet the level requirements and are able to collect a number of materials, then venturing in when I do if you haven't already would definitely be of benefit. Heading in in small numbers can also be suicidal so we may well have to recruit outside assistance...

A few pre-requisite "hunts" to get there include killing Ern, the Mountain Giant King & Krillin, the Fog Giant King multiple times.

- Kill Count Vorigan.
This kill is a requirement for a quest which awards 10HP's I've yet to complete. I'd let you find the quest offer yourself of course - I don't want to give everything away, but obtaining the kill is a solid first step. I'm able to open up the location to him and know the sequence to get to him - we just need a small ensemble to succeed. There is a pre-requisite of obtaining the Tabard of the Port Guard for anyone wanting to sign up for this - cryptic clues would be made available to those needing to obtain this though for anyone interested in coming ahead of time, so they're ready for when we venture out to slay him.

- Continue to tinker with the luck.
This is something I've started as a GL which I'll carry on. Guild luck to my mind needs to be utilised for the tangible benefits when we have guild members within the realms. Whilst I'm not intending to start any out-and-out luck wars, I intend to continue as I did with the Thieves (you can view my post here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=2172). If we have multiple members in the realms and the guild with the luck has none, save the GM, I very well may appropriate it for our use. I intend to keep grabbing the luck whenever we have a need for it. As with the Thieves though, I intend to give a little more substance to these events than just simply stealing it - breaking from the monotony of the norm. Stealing from the Thieves was childs play - there are other Guilds out there who I'm sure won't take too kindly to it.

To my mind, this also provides an additional opportunity for our members to interact with members from other guilds, if they so wish, in a way which encourages them to portray themselves as a Warlock with substance and content facilitated by the guild. It might not be for everyone, which I completely accept, however, it's something and something I'm more than willing to do.

Anyone who has any grander ideas for interactivity, I am of course interested in hearing and will help to facilitate where possible within the confines of the role and without becoming entrenched in trivialities which deter us from the bigger goal.

Where members of the Guild join me on these endeavours, we will of course have the full resources of the guild at our disposal, as made available to me as a GM to accomodate our goals.

4) - I've solved many secrets the realms have to offer.

Having slaughtered many denizens of the realms, completed many of the quests that have been set and uncovered the techniques to craft some of the more unique items available to us, I've found I'm given an ability to tailor challenges down to an individual persons skillset; as such I can provide suitably difficult challenges for members wishing to obtain some of the more unique items at our disposal.

With this in mind, the last item I want to touch on is the Reward Scheme. In recent times this has all but become stagnant - not through anyone's fault. Pari & I do not have access to the tracker to update it as necessary - the facility to do this is not available to us. I would take this as an opportunity whilst GM to revisit and redesign this. The current membership numbers don't best lend themselves to the requirements as laid down in the Reward Scheme, and I believe in the current climate this needs to be re-imagined. I don't have exact plans for how to facilitate this at this stage although I do have some ideas relating to tailored challenges as outlined in the opening statement. As GM, I would endeavour to work on this with the GL team and present a more achievable version of the reward scheme which still has the intrinsic difficulty level to complete, during my term.

So - there you have it - my manifesto of sorts in support of my self nomination. I would ask those thinking of running, if you're happy to support my nomination and choose not to run, please approach me within the realms to discuss the possibility of incorporating some of your suggestions for the guild, perhaps as part of the GL team, should I be succesful. Whilst I of course can't make any promises or decisions at this time, I would be a fool to refuse an audience with members wanting to help the guild prosper and am genuinely interested to hear your ideas - regardless of the outcome here, we may well be able to work together to bring them to fruition in the future.

But for now..

Laters y'all.
~The Fabulous One

Return to “Warlocks' Guild”