In regards to the 9-19 Guild Vote (Some OOC)

Messages for the Warlocks' Guild
Maugath
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Dread

In regards to the 9-19 Guild Vote (Some OOC)

Post by Maugath »

I believe it would be better to post here and make some small clarifications about the current guild vote that is posted. Please note, this message is posted as an OOC explanation and question.

As many of you have seen by now, the current item up for vote is to review guild items - with possible removal and rewrite of some items as the ultimate outcome.

I would like to first offer that the intended process will not remove or change any of the current standing rewards that the guild currently offers. This is including the Shadow Dragon, Sinew, Tattoo, Aura, and all of the more conventional "armor" items. Namely the Grimoire and all of the components leading up to it. It is instead to remove or change a number of items with little use, that are duplicates of each other with only slight name change. In lowering the total items offered by the guild, it is my hope to be able to create new reward scheme items that are beneficial across lower tiers of levels. These items can be seen as stepping stones to the higher cost, more powerful items we currently offer. It is also, overall, to perhaps freshen things up a bit in regards to offerings in the shops spread around the guild.

This would all, of course, only be depending on what those in charge of such changes deem the "cost" to be to the guild. To those who have voted strictly "No" in response, would any of you be willing to openly discuss why you want no change? If the answer to that is no as well, that's fine. I am just curious, and it can be discussed privately in game, through messages, or by email. WarlockMaugath@gmail.com

This also opens the option for those not registered to give their opinions on the topic. Public reply is also open, if you choose.

Thank you for taking the time to read, vote, and respond.
venis

Re: In regards to the 9-19 Guild Vote (Some OOC)

Post by venis »

I guildvoted "No", even though my actual inclination is somewhere between "No" and "Possibly...".

Why? Because the Warlocks' Guild is the best piece of writing in Terris, and your time as GM has been reduced, so far, to the same rookie GMing moves that every new GM I see wants to do. "I want to rewrite the items -- it'll really leave my mark in a permanent way!". That said, I *am* pleased that you are clearly working, I just think this is not the thing we need to work on. And, kudos on using the guildvote properly.

On a side note, I voted for you, because I think you have the intelligence to find something else to do with your time than what every other new GM has done in the past historically (outside of our Guild). I'd like to see your efforts take a different direction than item rewrites, personally, but you're the Guildmaster...
Maugath

Post by Maugath »

venis wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:50 pm I guildvoted "No", even though my actual inclination is somewhere between "No" and "Possibly...".

Why? Because the Warlocks' Guild is the best piece of writing in Terris, and your time as GM has been reduced, so far, to the same rookie GMing moves that every new GM I see wants to do. "I want to rewrite the items -- it'll really leave my mark in a permanent way!". That said, I *am* pleased that you are clearly working, I just think this is not the thing we need to work on. And, kudos on using the guildvote properly.
Thank you for the reply. My main goal, ultimately, was to not just leave some permanent mark on the guild. With the somewhat recent discussions on the ways to actually separate and individualize the guilds my goal is to push to help accomplish that through guild armor. Every guild has a pretty generic system of armor, based on guild level tiers. The only thing different for the most part are names.

I'd really like to see a more dynamic system in place that actually supports the guild one is involved in. Warriors should have a strong defensive base, with some offensive melee bonuses. Barbarians should be the opposite, with a strong build towards pure melee offense, and slighted on defense. Warlocks should, in theory, be built for offensive spell casting. They should be supported by a boost of damage through SSU. Wizards a more defensive spell boost, and Enchanters a more rounded approach.

Again, OOC in the fullest: That all said, I know it comes down to those who run the game and those who create the content. If there is no real chance of change, other than a few item descriptions and names - there is no real need for change and it is time that would not be spent just to be wasted. Being new to the role and the guild, I am open to the opinion and suggestion of all members who are willing to speak their mind freely to me. I know that each person has their own thoughts and agendas on what they would like to see done, how they would like to see it done.. etc.
venis

Post by venis »

Maugath wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:35 pm ... With the somewhat recent discussions on the ways to actually separate and individualize the guilds my goal is to push to help accomplish that through guild armor.
When it comes to the magic-wielding Guilds, this one is individualized by both ambience and attitude. We've succeeded remarkably in that regard for years.

Maugath wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:35 pm I'd really like to see a more dynamic system in place that actually supports the guild one is involved in...

Warlocks should, in theory, be built for offensive spell casting. They should be supported by a boost of damage through SSU. Wizards a more defensive spell boost, and Enchanters a more rounded approach.
I agree with you regarding the Warlocks within the spectrum of magic wielders as "should be the offensive based group". More, we at least do receive an extra rank of SSU, not shared by the Wizards and Enchanters (the Wizards receive an extra rank of MSU, and the Enchanters got the short end of the stick with GSU for whatever reason). It's not enough of a difference to be significant, no, but the idea is apparently shared by staff based on the decision to give us an extra rank of SSU.

That said, my question is, how is new gear going to move us toward that goal? Without a more radical or fundamental change to the advantages items give players, I don't see how new items will further your proposed resolution.

Maugath wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:35 pm ... That all said, I know it comes down to those who run the game and those who create the content. If there is no real chance of change, other than a few item descriptions and names - there is no real need for change and it is time that would not be spent just to be wasted.
Let's assume for the moment you have 100% authority to change things as you please, at no cost (or a very nominal one) to the Guild whatsoever. What next?

The duration of your tenure would be spent working on items and changes that will always upset someone. More importantly, as your time would be spent on this sort of "behind the scenes" project, it will leave us with less time to develop that individual identity you profess to wish to further. I think the identity thing is accomplished more effectively through member engagement, policy directives, and the outward perception of your actions in the way you go about engaging and directing. It is also effectively done through how we are perceived when interacting with others who are not Warlocks.

My two cents is that the time spent pursuing the guild armor agenda would be time wasted regardless of staff's approval or denial.
Stryph

Post by Stryph »

I like the idea of actually making classes more specialized. The one character does it all in Terris makes it all feel the same, I like the idea of Warlocks being glass cannons who fight behind larger tank types.
Stryph - Tir - Rath

Return to “Warlocks' Guild”