Warlock GM Campaign Thread

Messages for the Warlocks' Guild
venis
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Dread

Warlock GM Campaign Thread

Post by venis »

A cordial missive manifests in the appropriate place where such missives go, and it boasts a particular crest--the serpent coiled around a dagger and a small stack of gold coins--and reads:

"To the Only True Magic Wielders of Consequence,

I must begin with a necessary disclaimer: note that it may be the case that there later become necessary changes that ought go into our Charter. These would be those things as may be dictated by hands on high in their 'infinite wisdom'.

And yet, I am self-assured, by my own privileges, experiences, and through the authority entrusted to me by the Guild itself, that I may proceed with the following:

As of this otherworldly date of August the 12th, 2017,
we begin the campaign period for Warlock Guildmaster; that is, the most coveted and valuable Guildmaster mantle that exists.

Note that nominations are self-made, for each of you should be more than confident enough to tout your own suitability in the event you're suitable at all--most of you will not be.

As I'm no stranger to winning and working this mantle masterfully, I'll afford each of you as would attempt to campaign some advice:

• Explain why (fully) you deserve to be GM;
  • Laud your merits that showcase your greatness in some other fashion than "I'm going to rebuild the Guild and give it new items" (And why would you? It's one of the most perfect pieces of Terris writing that exists. This also doesn't make sense because we don't know our liaison status to the gods as of yet);
  • Contest your lessers, as they will destroy you should you fail.
You have until the otherworldly date of Monday, August 28th, 2017, to announce your candidacy on this thread. It is my intent to begin the guild's one-week election for Guildmaster with the self-named candidates from this thread as of that date.

Cordially,

V."
Enthia
Temple: Magic

Re: Warlock GM Campaign Thread

Post by Enthia »

Greetings my fellow Warlocks,

It seems it’s time to select another to lead us in our search for power. After being approached by a couple of Warlocks along with some personal deliberations, I have chosen at this time to throw my name into the proverbial hat.

If you wish to know my credentials simply ask. For those of you who can not bother, then I care not for your opinion.

As for my plans, I would like to revisit the current rune system we have and figure out a way to make it used more. I feel it is greatly underused in its current state. A way to fix it would be to do away with the event and put in place a ceremony that can take place in the Guild halls. I also have some ideas that I will hold off on discussing further besides to say they will need approval first. Though if approved should be more than beneficial to both the Guild and members.. I can be found in the guild most days and am willing to listen and discuss any issues you have with the Guild, it's policies or another Warlock. The most important thing I can see at this time is that the guild needs a master who can and will be active.

As for our direction as a Warlock I feel the guild is pretty well off in that respect. We know what it is to be a Warlock and those who do not or refuse to can be shown the door. . We do not need someone to lead us by the hand as we are Warlocks, if you do not understand this then you do not belong here amongst us. We simply need one who is there.

So at this time I am ready to continue my own personal quest for power and the guild's as well.

Thaumaturge Enthia, Scholar of Magic
Ravon
GM of Warlocks

Post by Ravon »

Enthia,

What are your credentials?

What "event" exactly are you speaking of, and would not a ceremony be an "event"?

The rune system is good as it is, I would however suggest adding more ways to obtain runes. As well, the guild needs more than someone who is going to be in the land. Sliper was "in" the land (I use that term extremely loosely) and he did absolutely nothing to better the guild. We need someone who can lead, and have the knowledge of what it takes to lead the greatest guild in the lands. We don't need someone who themselves solely seeks the title, we need someone who truly wants to better the guild before themselves and in turn become greater.
Nahema

Post by Nahema »

Enthia,

The only thing you are clear about is your wish for power and although there is nothing wrong with that, to have my vote
I would like to hear more about your plans and why you believe you deserve to be the new GM. What you wrote now is pretty vague and could mean anything.
Telling us that you don't care for our opinions if we don't bother to ask for your credentials is arrogant cause lets be homest, -you- are the one who wants
to be the new leader. So to me you are the one that needs to put an effort in that and not me.
I agree with Ravon that simply being there is not enough, I'm there and I can tell you that I'm not able to lead anything.
Anyway, I hope you will add more to your post, else I hope I will get more choices.

Regards
Maugath

Post by Maugath »

The sun breaks the horizon for a new day, sending the darkness into temporary retreat. On the desk of each Warlock sits a folded parchment, sealed with a plain red wax. There are no markings on the outside of the parchment, or the wax itself. Another of these parchments, though larger in size, is affixed as a notice near Tatrian the Black, in the heart of the guild. The words scribed onto the rough and discolored parchment, written in thick ink, read as follows:

Warlocks,
With this document, I give official notice of my intent to run for the position of Guild Master during these upcoming elections. It is my expectation that I will be meeting face to face with several you to further discuss the topics outlined below.

Let me first address that which will be one of the main points of contention to my running by many. I am well aware that I am considerably young within the guild, in terms of age. Many may see this as a negative aspect, though I must disagree with that viewpoint. Lack of tenure can be overcome by a willingness to learn, study, and listen to those who have that knowledge. Every individual who has, for the first time, claimed a position of Guild Master did so with lack of experience and understanding of the position. It is part of what makes a legacy of a great leader, to be able to overcome that initial hardship. To adapt to trials and pressure, and to succeed in the face of challenge.

I have risen quickly since my arrival. Some will view that as a worthy feat, others will scoff at the idea of it meaning anything. However, it does have its meaning. Obtaining the title Sovereign of the Damned was one of my main driving factors behind this initial rise. Some may see it merely as a title. I see it as the first step that every Warlock should be pushing to reach. We should not settle for less than the highest rank we can achieve, in every aspect of what we are.

As you may be aware, I have worked closely with Venis in drafting the newest form of the charter. The purpose of this is two-fold, as I hope it has shown you that I do not wish to change, destroy, or rebuild a guild that is already solid in its foundation and excels at its execution. With that, there are things that can be accomplished to further set the guild apart from the lesser houses within the lands. To ensure we continue to excel as the mortal masters of this realm. That we continue to expect only greatness from our members, and force any who refuse to reach that peak to be torn asunder by the very Maelstrom that is housed within our grand tower.

I have discussed some topics with several of you individually, and hope to now clarify some of those to the guild in its entirety.

Runes and Rewards
It will be my goal to expand the current rune system. This does not require a drastic change to the idea behind the system, but some touches that will allow the system to be more accessible and open to all members of the Guild.

There will still be large scale, guild wide events held once per otherworldly month. Tithe, gold, or item drives that grow the treasury or locker contents of the guild.

Active population permitting, smaller events will also be held if a number of us can gather together at the same time. This will include gatherings or outside events led by a member of the guild. Group hunts, either Warlock ran or where several us are within the party. Rewards can be given out based on participation.

I will open paths that allow Warlocks to request tasks on an individual basis. This will be done on a schedule of one-task per otherworldly week.

Each of us has our own strengths, and if we show great prowess and excel at those paths that we naturally align to we should be rewarded for it. There are those who show great political ability. Those who show dedication and unending faith to the religion that they follow. There are those who seek power and glory at the death of endless mortal creatures. Opening this method of individual reward will allow each Warlock to be tasked with something they have a greater chance of success with.
Keep in mind that if you are willing to step outside of those comfort levels, the rewards earned can be greater. Failure will not be accepted. If you seek out a task and fail to accomplish the goal, or do so in a vastly inferior method, you will be lacking in reward and the guild will know of your failure. There is no reward without risk attached. If, for some unknown reason, you continuously request tasks and are found lacking in your abilities to complete them then you will be suspended from requesting a new event until it is deemed by guild staff that you can once again participate.

All rewards handed out will not always be rune based. In the event it is requested, someone completing a task may be awarded a sum of gold from the treasury. This may be the designated reward for participation in an event to begin with. Rare and sought after items that currently, or may in the future, exist housed within the guild locker might also be considered, depending on the task you are being rewarded for and the value of the item.

To those few who may be shuddering at the idea of a more free-flowing rune system, I understand the hesitation to offer more reward. It is not my intent to have all members holding a Grimoire by the end of the administration. Tasks must be completed at an exceptional level to earn the reward. As mentioned above – failure, especially repeated instances, will not be taken lightly.

On the topic of Patrons
While I do not feel that the guild needs a Patron presence to be active and grow, I do understand that it can be a beneficial relationship if an agreement can be met. This topic will be discussed with the guild, though likely as an individual person to person conversation. There are some things that I would like to push to the guild that do require an active Patron presence. Without going in great depth, these include some minor changes - as well as rewards - to the above mentioned system. In the event of a Patron presence, the possibility of one-session items, more specialized rewards and a scheduling of divine spells for guild members will be discussed.

With that said, this is still under some study. If we do have a say, as a guild, on who is allowed to align with our guild then we should be sure we only accept what will be a beneficial arrangement.

The Guild
While I can claim that my biggest gift to the guild will be that of an active Guild Master, I certainly hope that is not the case. While it is true that I do expect to be active, my goal is to make the guild as a whole more active. To initiate participation, not just in events – but in the guild itself. As said previously, we all have outside interests. Be it temple or town. Rank or riches. I want the activity and the dedication you give to those to be that of the guild as well.

We are Warlocks.
Those leading a party should kneel in gratitude if we decided to join.
Those whose argument we oppose should falter in their steadfast ideals should we disagree.
None will settle for less than greatness. The guild shall devour those who prove unworthy.

This is not something that I shall do alone, but that we will do as Warlocks.
venis

Post by venis »

The Guild itself vibrates as an unseen presence passes through, leaving behind a missive boasting a distinctive, stylized crest--the serpent coiled around a dagger and a small stack of gold coins--and it reads:

"
Maugath

I find myself unpersuaded by your literature that you are worthy to wear my mantle. Yet, perhaps you can dispel some of my concerns, as we visit what I believe are a handful of your most evident shortcomings.
Maugath wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:17 pm

Let me first address that which will be one of the main points of contention to my running by many. I am well aware that I am considerably young within the guild, in terms of age. Many may see this as a negative aspect, though I must disagree with that viewpoint.
Indeed, you rightly note that you "must" disagree with that viewpoint. That is, let's be clear it is not an option for you to do otherwise and still campaign for the throne of sorcerer-kings.

You are known internally by the Guild. It is not that you are an unpromising child that lends cause for concern.

No, it is more that your youth poses practical nuisances to us, were you our Guildmaster, in a handful of ways--most notably, diplomatic affairs with those who your age and name carries the clout we require to push through certain agendas or schemes. If Tranos finds herself at war, as she is wont to do, am I to trust you to gather the Warriors or Thieves and govern both the Guild and City under the authority of the Tri Guild Council? Will you be able to move along with the other Guilds the Great Arcane Assembly; that is, do those lesser magic wielders even want to work with you, or has it been because of the recognition of my name and ability to actually do what I say that they bother? And among the nuisances posed here, the greatest for me is that I necessarily arrive at the answer "I don't know" when it comes to you.

There is a level of trust and rapport that can only manifest with age.

Lack of tenure can be overcome by a willingness to learn, study, and listen to those who have that knowledge.
I agree. So, advise me why we should not hold you first to learning, studying, and listening to those who have that knowledge? There are many other ways to come across the wisdom you profess to seek. For example, you could start as a Guild Officer and naturally inherit the guile, understanding, and wherewithal to suitably lead us.

Perhaps you can demonstrate by way of example what it is that you have "learned" or "studied" while among us so far. Can we even trust your immersion into our lore and history to be complete enough to field inquiries about our Guild in an authoritative manner? Do you even know the tale of how the Shadow Dragon over which you boast command came to be?

I imagine a more thorough explanation of your understanding of the Guild is merited.

Every individual who has, for the first time, claimed a position of Guild Master did so with lack of experience and understanding of the position. It is part of what makes a legacy of a great leader, to be able to overcome that initial hardship. To adapt to trials and pressure, and to succeed in the face of challenge.
This is not entirely accurate. I can concede at most their lack of understanding to a handful of the mechanical things as come with the role, as well as I can their perception of what sort of time investment or work ethic is required to satisfactorily govern. What is untrue, however, is that there must be some sort of unnatural moment universally experienced by each first-time Guildmaster.

To illustrate what I mean, there are only a handful of abilities possessed by our Guildmaster that our Lieutenants do not share, which on the side of mechanical things seems to imbue the Lieutenant with "experience and understanding". More, historically our Lieutenants have been given near autonomy to reign in the stead of the Guildmaster whenever he or she may not be present; which, accordingly, has provided the Lieutenant the "experience and understanding" of wielding the Guild's political voice.

As you may be aware, I have worked closely with Venis in drafting the newest form of the charter.
Which is why I feel somehow shorted by this drivel you've put before the Guild when I am aware of other works more impressive.

....and force any who refuse to reach that peak to be torn asunder by the very Maelstrom that is housed within our grand tower.
This sounds like something a Warlock would say, albeit it generally comes from those who have had ample time to educate themselves as to the Maelstrom and each of its facets. I note you only recently received the piece of the Guild to begin such an education.

While I can claim that my biggest gift to the guild will be that of an active Guild Master, I certainly hope that is not the case. While it is true that I do expect to be active, my goal is to make the guild as a whole more active.
This manner of statement vexes me infinitely. Not only does this lack an inspirational tone, but we cannot even verify it will be true. Nevermind what it is you "certainly hope" to achieve for a moment, you've been a visitor in these hallowed halls for but fleeting moments.

To credit your achievements, indeed your stay with us has been a productive one so far. And yet, we are to somehow just "take your word for it" that you will endure, throughout the burdens and hardships that can and do manifest, based on these short, productive, fleeting moments of the visitation we've afforded you.

I have risen quickly since my arrival...

And I wonder if this next step is "too" quick, and perhaps in need of my intervention. I imagine a story may be an effective vehicle to urge caution:

Once upon a time, two Warlocks joined the Guild within days of each other at election time. Both wanted to govern, as the power associated with this reverent mantle was always bafflingly great. And yet they went about it different ways.

The first Warlock placed his name into candidacy for Guildmaster immediately, believing himself to be worthy without first winning the affection, or at least trust, of the rest of the Guild. There was outrage and ridicule among the elder Warlocks. But the second Warlock had predicted such outrage. He saw the first Warlock's schemes as folly, and fashioned a shrewder, more righteous agenda that would allow him to both prove himself and ultimately posture as the "next" candidate in line the mantle was owed to in the minds of the rest. The second Warlock backed a longstanding, elder Warlock, in exchange for a nod to the administration as her Lieutenant, and together they eviscerated the first Warlock at the polls. It was not long before the second realized his own many years of leadership, as Guildmaster, having not stepped out of line in what many, he knew, may perceive as inappropriate in order to appease Guild custom.

The second Warlock, naturally, was me.

The first Warlock was Sliper."

The missive is finished with a touch of expert penmanship reading, "You know exactly who".
Enthia

Post by Enthia »

So let us start with the rune system since it seems to be a bit of a debate. In general the system works just fine, however this does not mean it is not in need of some tweaking. We need more options as

you have stated not just for what items or rewards can be earned, but also on how we earn them. The participation schemes work well but we should have other ways to obtain them through our deeds. I

would like to see us be able to break down runes in the future. I also feel that when it comes to the Grimoire that there should be more ways to obtain then having to host an event. There should be no

reason why an approved board post or other type of in realm event can not suffice. I feel this should be allowed simply because we do not all have the same strengths, and we should want to play towards

them.

As for my plans if I were to get the mantle. Some what like Maugath stated I would like to create two seperate paths that lead to the same destination. One path would be geared toward allowing more in

realm emphasis.This could involve things like ceremonies or other role play events While the other would cover those who have a knack for posting. Once again this falls on to us playing to our strengths as

individual Warlock's and a whole. In respect to Sethra as our current patron if elected I would allow the voices of the guild to be heard on the subject. I have a few ideas that I would rather discuss what I

can in person, since they will require approval before implementing. Now at this time I would like to reiterate my statement, that the guid is quite well off. We do not need some one who is going to come

in and change what is frankly running just fine.

Now as for the statement about simply being here is not enough, I fully agree. A guild master needs to be more then just here in the realm. They to actively engage the guild and participate in its events.

To simply buy luck is not enough. You need to schedule events and things to entice the interest of the members. Those of you who do know me would realize that I am more then simply here. I have taken

part in numerous events and guild discussions over the years. I am capable and willing to listen to any issues, questions or thoughts you may have.

My credentials simply speak for them self, but for those of you who do not know I shall explain. I am elder Warlock of this guild compared to many of its current inhabitants. I have spent nearly a century

and a half inside these walls and will not be leaving them till my breath leaves my body for the last time.During this time I have achieved much of what the guild has to offer in both power and rewards.

Even at this time I am close to having obtained the Grimoire. To end I am not just simply here and never have been also I believe I am the correct choice due to my tenure here as a Warlock.
Maugath

Post by Maugath »

Warlocks,
As expected, Venis brought forth several shredding contentions to my original notice. All of his points are quite valid, I will be the first to admit that. He asks for me to dispel his concerns, and I will make that attempt. However, I am quite sure that no comment I make – nor any candidate makes for themselves – will put him at ease. With that said:

On the topics of war, governing and the Tri-Guild Council.

With youth comes a lack of experience in matters such as diplomacy and war. Not necessarily the act of war itself, but the strategy and leadership involved in it. Lack of experience does not always translate into lack of ability. Nor does age always translate into aptitude. Would you rather a Warlock with age, perhaps even tenure, to govern as an idle place-holder? One who may not act at all in the event of the exampled war? One who cannot verbally leash the pirate-thief, or feed into the hunger of the current Warlord? Worse yet, one who refuses to take the wisdom offered by the guild and use it to accomplish what must be done?

Or would it better benefit you to accept a young Warlock, self-confident in his abilities. Filled with hunger. Driven, yet open enough to understand that at times seeking council from those more experienced in matters is the path that must be followed? One who can use the advice given, push the agenda to those who sit idle and wait for commands. Adapting to take command of the situation, not caving to the pressure of it.

On the Arcane Assembly, and interaction with other guilds.

Youth and perceived naivety can at times be a beneficial tactic to make use of. It lends false hope that a lesser guild might have a chance at gaining an advantage, based only on those reasons. We participate in these events not as an individual, but as an entity. We, together, are aware of our abilities and our place in the realm. In the hope of taking advantage of a situation, let those unknowing tinkerers of spells become their own downfall.

If, instead, it is only because of the recognition of your name and guidance that these others have participated in this event then no candidate here will meet your expectations.

I do agree that the more traditional, and perhaps easier to transition from, path is to first hold the role of lieutenant. Short of the small period of you, Venis, holding the position there was no open role for an officer announced. Indeed, as I sit and write this you yourself have just announced a temporary lieutenant. The previous administration was held by someone who likely was governing in solitude for fear of being overshadowed by his own appointed choice.

As we are told, this is the pinnacle of what all Warlocks strive to be. Should I instead refuse the chance to grasp this mantle, to leave the position uncontested and easily taken by one individual? To wait until another deems my age, or even my tenure, suitable for such a test? If this is the will of the guild, then I will bend to its power. Until the guild, as a whole, informs me of such - I will continue my campaign.

As I bring this reply to a close, I will confess to not having mastery over the entirety of the guild history. I am certain that others, yourself included, could far surpass my ability to offer tales of history that may be lost on the newer generations of the guild. I am familiar with the tale of Vagma’s placement of the guild, the workings of the first Warlocks to exploit the dark energy, and the subsequent release of that energy. That the shadows themselves answered Deori’s call, taking the shape of a dragon. The bargain that, as long as they submit to the call of service, they will remain in this physical form.

In the end, every campaign is based on promise of what will be done. Is there a guarantee that I can accomplish every goal I set out before the guild? No. The same way there is no guarantee that Enthia can, or that any other candidate who steps forward can. Even those successful throughout history stumble and fall, occasionally. It is the ability to get back up, absorb the punishment and continue forward that will define who is a success, and who is a failure.

As it stands, there are currently two choices. Until a time when another openly announces candidacy, you have your Warlock of tenure if that is what you truly seek. The other choice is the individual who worked beside you, for the guild, to complete the charter. Who pushed the issues he felt would be of value. Not just to nod in agreement with every decision made for him. The same way he will push in every challenge put before him. Be it war, or be it competition. From outside, or within.

I completely understand your concern, the concern that I'm sure others also have. You simply don't know, you are not certain. No change, no growth, ever is.
venis

Warlock GM Elections Begin

Post by venis »

A parchment, flattering to the eye, and boasting the distinct crests of both Warlock Guildmaster, and, the serpent coiled around the dagger and small stack of gold coins manifests, and reads:

"To the only true magic wielders of consequence,

Behold your candidates: Enthia and Maugath. Those of you with intentions to be Guildmaster, beside these two, have ultimately failed to timely furnish your names to this thread, and your prince is one whose word is kept when it comes to election deadlines.

This thread may be used to further inquire of these two individuals, but make note of the following truths:

The
guildvote to elect our next Guildmaster has begun, and you shall have until the otherworldly date of September 4, 2017, roughly at morning time, to cast your vote.

The guildvote is an "election" type vote, with the following strictures: one-vote-one-account, age 21. These are the strictures you have voted for and approved pursuant to Section V of the Warlocks Guild Charter.

Furthermore, for the sake of preempting mechanical inquiries, let's discuss what an "election" type guildvote entails. This means the results are hidden, even to me, and shall only be revealed once we conclude the guildvote on the date afforded you above. It also means that, in the event I somehow have erred in constructing the guildvote, which I have not, there shall be no remedy for the next three (3) otherworldly days. The better way of understanding the last truth is this: 'What I have set into motion may not be undone'.

May the most worthy win and subsequently lead us wisely. Should you not lead us wisely, or should I have to come save this Guild from either of your failed leaderships, make note that I will wholly destroy you. I will then make it my personal agenda to eviscerate your legacy and undo any tales of your deeds from any history book worth reading.

V."
venis

Questions for GM Candidates

Post by venis »

I'm having some trouble casting my ballot, perhaps the two of you can help by answering some specific inquiries:

Enthia
  1. Why are you running for GM? I mean, do you think there needs to be some change in policy? Do you just want the power associated with being "Warlock GM"? Are you doing this just so we have an election that is contested? So on. Because the way I read your announcement for GM, it sounds like you're saying, "a few people goaded me into it".
  2. Fill in the blank: The Warlock I most wish to see dead is _______. Justify.
  3. You can have three (3) GOs. Assuming all Warlocks you extended the invitation to, from past or present, would say "Yes", who would those Warlocks be and why?
  4. Explain, without playing the age or tenure cards, why you're the better candidate than Maugath overall.
Maugath
  1. Explain why, without some nonsense about "fresh blood" or citing to your policies as sound ones, you're the better candidate than Enthia overall.
  2. Fill in the blank: The Warlock I most wish to see dead is _______. Justify.
  3. You can have three (3) GOs. Assuming all Warlocks you extended the invitation to, from past or present, would say "Yes", who would those Warlocks be and why?
Thanks,

V.

Return to “Warlocks' Guild”