Hello Rangers

Messages for the Rangers' Guild
Terrisdime
Guild: Rangers
Temple: Light

Hello Rangers

Post by Terrisdime »

The snow fell heavily.
Near the peak of the mountains to the north of the village of Wintertown, a figure walks along a game trail. It is a way he has been before, but not for a very long time. Soon enough, the trail winds down into a valley, coming close to a large, though unkempt citadel. He glances at it, but pays little attention to several figures he notes lurking in the shadows near the locked gate. He is fairly tall. His hair has gone from brown to a silvery white, yet he is not stooped or slow considering his advanced age. He carries a pack on his back and a bow slung over his shoulder. As the trail vanishes into the fields, he pauses and looks about as if getting his bearings. Suddenly, one of the lurking guards decides to see if he can add a scalp to his trophy belt. Unfortunately for the guard, his step in the snowy field is not unheard. The man turns, yanking the bow to ready and nocking an arrow in the same motion. He fires so fast that the daemon has no chance to even raise his bow. The arrow whistles between them and hits with a "thud" against the leather jerkin the creature wears. With a loud "BANG!" it bursts sending electric sparkles over the daemon's body. The creature falls to the ground, dead before he even knows what hit him. After seeing their brother's fate, none of the other guards have the courage to try their own luck. He smiles, looking at each of them in turn as they cower in the shadows, making certain they know that he knows where each of them is. Then he turns away and continues his walk around the edge of the field.

He continues his walk. On impulse, he whistles an odd call into the air. It is a not a tuneful call, but carries an odd, growling edge to it. At the very edge of the opposite end of the field, he hears a faint, returning call. He stops and both eyebrows go up in surprise as a faint smudge appears in the air overhead. A smudge that grows into the shape of a lion with a wingspan of over fourteen feet. The beast floats down and settles easily in front of him. Large, yellow eyes regard him. He cocks his head and says softly "You are not Lightbringer, yet you answered me." The griffin stretches casually for a moment and then in his mind he hears "I am Lightbringer's son's son. I have no name in your tongue. I was charged by my grandfather to answer this call should it ever come. It is a charge I took seriously even as my father lived his whole life without hearing it." the man inclines his head to the griffin and says "I have no claim on you. Your grandfather and I were companions for many, many years, but if you choose to join me, I will welcome your company on my journey." The response is quick. "My grandfather filled my nights with tales of your hunts and your comings and goings. You humans are often more than a little crazy, but you are interesting. I will bear you and join you." "Have you family?," he asks. "I am not mated," is the reply. "Perhaps I will find a mate along the path we will travel together." "If that is the case, you are free to go your own path," he replies, smiling. "We shall see."

The man pulls a light, leather saddle from his pack and tests the fit. The griffin stands patiently as he makes a number of adjustments. This beast is larger than Lightbringer... much larger. "I will have to sew you a new one of these fairly soon," he chuckles. "One more thing on my already large to-do list..." He manages to get it fastened and then mounts. "He pauses a moment and then says "I feel you should be named 'Coom'Ra' which means 'power legend' in the elvish tongue. I think it suits you well." "Where then?," asks the beast. "For now just to the farm at the southwest edge of the fields. We will stay there for now." The griffin leaps easily and beats once with his wings, they are instantly fifty feet into the air. He turns easily and glides above the snowy ground. In just moments, they are over the barn. He is surprised and saddened to discover that the house is gone. The barn still stands and the animal pen behind it, but that is all that's left of what was once a prosperous agricultural operation. They land and he inspects the inside of the barn, finding it in good enough shape to offer shelter to both man and mount for now. He sighs thinking of yet another item for the too-long list and they settle in. He removes the tack and hangs it over one of the old horse stalls. "For now, hunt as you will. I will call when I've need. I want to walk up into town and see what's going on there and then I will likely test my guild recall ring and see if it still works after lo these many years." The griffin responds by pounding out the door and soaring away into the gray afternoon sky. He watches a moment as Coom'Ra departs, then follows him out the door, but then turns uphill, headed for the town above. In a few minutes, he walks into the lobby of the Wintertown Inn. He's not surprised to discover that little has changed here. The sign indicating remodeling is in exactly the same spot he remembers. The carpet is the same, faded, threadbare red. The man at the desk is a complete stranger.

"Aye and who d'yew be?," he asks. "My name is Dimetrios," he replies. "Its been awhile since I was through this way so I thought I'd stop in and have a coffee and whiskey and some dinner." The inkeeper nods and replies "m Derelon. Welcome yeh are. Dinin' room's there, I'll send one of th'servers t'yeh." Dime nods to the inkeep and walks into the indicated room. He finds only one other patron sitting at a small table in one corner. He takes a table on the other wall and waits. In a few moments, a serving girl, likely the inkeep's daughter judging by her appearance, steps up. They discuss drinks and she laughs at his order. "Been a while since anyone asked for that particular combination, but I'll get it fer ya." Then they go over the brief menu and he shows her coins sufficient to care for the bill. She vanishes into the kitchen and he sits back and considers his next steps. Soon, he thinks, it will be necessary to pay a visit to the tree and see how the guild fares. Then... well then will happen.

Greetings rangers. And old soul has come home.
Xantha_A Ranger

Re: Hello Rangers

Post by Xantha_A Ranger »

Hi Hi!

I want a Griffin too!

X
Makali
Temple: Dreams

Re: Hello Rangers

Post by Makali »

Welcome back old man.

Cannot wait to see you again. Glad to have you back. You have certainly been missed.
Sweet Ranger Makali, High Priestess of Faith
Ambassador of Guardians of Devardec
Guild Officer of the Ranger's Guild

Return to “Rangers' Guild”