Ewe Don't Say...

Messages for the Monks' Guild
fearecia

Ewe Don't Say...

Post by fearecia »

The day was quiet and warm, Devardec Plaza experiencing a rare lull in its bustle. Fearecia was sitting next to the fountain, eyes half drooped closed, enjoying the feel of the desert sun on her scales after all the time in Stone Keep. There was a mountain of paperwork on her desk at the guild, she was sure, but it was pleasant to just sit and relax for a bit.

At least, it was pleasant until a few wool merchants began to gather in the plaza, wringing their hands and mumbling to each other. The dragonkin ignored them initially. It wasn’t terribly uncommon for merchants to be in the plaza conducting business. Steadily, though, the crowd of wool merchants grew, quickly joined by sheep shearers and wool carters and other associated industry professionals. As the volume of their chatting rose, so did the anxiety ripping through the air.

Fear frowned. What had started as a small business discussion had quickly turned into a full fledged assault on the plaza, with various craftsmen and merchants everywhere. What in Norland was going on? She’d seen merchants upset before, true, but this was looking to get close to an all out panic. Suddenly, they started filing out of the plaza, headed east. Curious, Fear prowled after them, trying to ascertain the reason for the disturbance.

They only went east a few blocks before heading up Lock Road, then turning east again on Ramble Lane. Fearecia felt the anxiety start to echo within her own breast; why were they headed to the Monk’s Guild, of all places? She broke into a trot to pick up her pace, but it was too late. The horde had already knocked down Brother Rukath and forced their way inside the guild doors, leaving a trail of dirty footprints in their wake.

Fear scowled and helped the poor brother to his feet. “What do they want?”

The old monk threw his hands up in the air. “I’ve no idea! I tried to tell them they couldn’t come inside, but they wouldn’t listen, and kept muttering about the sheep being missing!” He stopped and frowned, then stared at the dragonkin. “You didn’t go eat a bunch of their sheep, did you?”

Fearecia snorted in disgust. “You and I both know that I know better than to hunt livestock for my dinner. No, this is something else. I’ll see about getting them out of here.”

Rukath nodded, dusting off his robes as Fear strolled inside. The merchants were EVERYWHERE. They had swarmed the entire lower level of the guild, and try as she might, she couldn’t get them to remotely listen to her or answer any questions. It was almost like she was a ghost in their midst. Forcing her way past the throng through sheer size and strength, she headed to the guild library to try and see if she could get some answers.

That was where she found the sheep. Sheep who’d had their wool freshly cut, but sheep, nonetheless.

How in the bloody blazes did sheep get into the guild?

Fear froze, terribly aware that a predator amongst a herd of prey animals could easily start a stampede, resulting in countless amounts of destruction to the guild. She threw a glance over at Father Pare. “Did Tristand do this?”

He shook his head. “They just wandered in here moments ago. Don’t seem inclined to move on, either.” He growled and yanked a scroll away from a curious sheep’s investigating nose. “Don’t even think about it, you walking stomach!”

The dragonkin couldn’t help but chuckle a bit at the sight of Father Pare, so accustomed to smacking novices around, lecturing sheep in the same manner. Still, they needed to get these sheep out of here. Slowly, carefully, she edged her way into the room, slinking around towards the back so that she could start herding the sheep out. Remarkably, the sheep were ridiculously calm; perhaps they’d gotten into the herbs before wandering here into the library. That might explain a few things. Making it to the rear of the room, she extended her wings, making herself appear larger, and started nudging the sheep out.

They moved, slowly, but they moved. The dragonkin desperately wanted to just bite a few of them. They were trespassing, after all, and they weren’t technically part of the guild, so that meant she could make a meal out of them, right? Thankfully, after several long minutes, a shout went up through the guild from the merchants. The sheep had been found! Their livelihoods were saved! The merchants started helping to herd the sheep out of the guild, steadily ignoring the dragonkin in their midst.

Fearecia was positively flabbergasted at the whole thing, but she’d take being ignored by merchants if it meant they all would leave. At the doors of the guild, she suddenly ran into an extremely short fellow exclaiming how happy he was to find his sheep again.

“Snorg! And Triglet! You’re safe!”

Fear frowned, staring at the terribly short shepherd positively cuddling his sheep. “And you are?”

“Welam, of course.” He frowned, looking around, his gaze finally landing on the dragonkin towering over him, the dispersing merchants, and the sheep. “You!” he yelled, pointing a finger at the dragonkin. Well, at least someone realized she existed. “Why are my sheep in your guild?”

She snorted. “How should I know? Why’d you lose them?”

He huffed, bellowing back, “I didn’t lose them! They went roaming!”

She rolled her eyes. “Fine. They went roaming. Take them back home, will you? I don’t need sheep in my guild. They make an awful mess.”

He glowered at her before carefully counting his sheep. He frowned. “Where are the rest?”

The ebon dragonkin shrugged. “How should I know? They probably wandered off to greener pastures, but I’m fairly sure this is all that was in the guild.”

The shepherd considered for a moment, then nodded. Without another word, he turned on his heel and walked off, his strangely placid sheep following dutifully behind him. Fear watched them go, confusion written across her face. She turned and looked at Brother Rukath, who just shrugged.

“Bah! Get some novices to clean up the mess, will you?” Without waiting for a reply, Fearecia stormed back into the guild, headed up to her office to manage paperwork. Never in her wildest dreams did she think she’d have to deal with a sheep invasion as Guildmaster. Clearly, the heavens were having fun toying with her.

Again.

(Yes, a version of this did happen. I shifted some things around a bit to make it an easier and mildly more logical read, but someone seriously DID invade the Plaza and guild with wool merchants and sheep. Frankly, I think it's all Wulaw's fault.)
radiance
Guild: Monks
Temple: Hopes and Dreams

Re: Ewe Don't Say...

Post by radiance »

No one has seen Axx, right?
fearecia

Re: Ewe Don't Say...

Post by fearecia »

No pixies and no immortal gnomes were involved (that I could tell). That shepherd did have a terrible habit of bellowing constantly, and he was awfully short...

Return to “Monks' Guild”