Proposed Guild Progression

Messages for the Monks' Guild
fearecia

Proposed Guild Progression

Post by fearecia »

I’m going to cover titles, awards, and requirements all here, along with the logic behind my proposals. I welcome any feedback and constructive criticism. My goal is to standardize the advancement process and limit the need for direct oversight, so that the lack of members isn’t a problem, and personal biases cannot be used to block a member from advancing.

Step 1: Novitiate
  • This title simply confirms that the member has been greeted and been given a light and robes. If you do this, please message the GM so they can change said person’s title.
Step 2: Novice
  • A person new to Terris who needs active help orienting themselves and learning how to progress. This person is under the care of a Sensei.
Step 3: Brother/Sister.
  • Reward: Unicorn Charm.
  • Requirement: Complete the Hand Path.
  • Responsibilities: Greet new members and provide a faint spiritual light and robes.
  • Action: Locate and provide a detailed map of the Camelia Gardens.
  • Reasoning: The unicorn charm controls access to the upper levels of the guild, where the higher level guild shops should be. We used to require completion of all paths to attain this charm, but with decreasing interest in the guild, I am recommending to make it as easy as possible to attain this charm. I do not want to require anyone to roleplay if they don’t want to, and I don’t want to require them to go through a lesson (The Hand Path) when they probably already know it. Providing a map of an area shows a basic command of exploration skills and lands knowledge needed to succeed. I could require the killing of a level appropriate monster, but logs are easily edited, and just meh. This is a task that requires some small effort, which shows an interest in actually participating and advancing in the guild, as well as being easily completed in a low risk area.
Step 4: Sensei
  • Reward: Embroidered Hakama.
  • Requirement: Complete Lore Path and The Way.
  • Responsibilities: Mind new members, provide light and robes, and be a source of information and guidance for all in the guild. It is expected that you are knowledgeable enough in the lands to provide education on skills, spells, tactics, history, and more.
    Action(s):
    • Run an event for the guild (hunt, game, etc).
    • Locate and explore the Old Temple.
    • Research old boards for posts on “what the Way means to me” and be prepared to deliver a statement on your interpretation.
    • Post a personal history on the boards.
    • Study available lore and charter and be prepared to pass an open note test.
  • Reasoning: I am returning to a more standard approach when it comes to Sensei by having them complete what would usually be the second half of their Brother/Sister training. Sensei is more of a roleplay role, with an implication of being an upstanding member of the guild willing to educate younger members. As such, Sensei should be fully informed of guild roleplay (The Way) and be willing to engage in it to at least some degree. I believe the above actions show a dedication to the guild, a willingness to engage, and an investment in one’s own character. They are also all very measureable and don’t necessarily require direct oversight by guild leadership. I intend to implement documents that have questions on them for the Temple location, Way statement, and Lore Test. This way meeting up in game is not required and documents can be assessed over email.
Step 5: Elder.
  • Reward: Teku Ankh
  • Requirements:
    • Be a long standing member of the guild (over 1 OOC year).
    • Be committed to the guild.
  • Responsibilities: You are the face of the guild. You fundamentally represent the guild and are expected to contribute to it regularly.
  • Actions:
    • Do a personal rp of how you live/grow/understand/embody The Way.
    • This may include a “wilderness trip” to “discover oneself,” but it is ultimately open.
    • You must personally notify the GM when you believe you have completed this option.
  • Reasoning: Elders are revered and honored members of the guild. This is primarily a roleplay position, so it is earned through roleplaying. I am looking for dedication and effort on this front. The point behind the task here is to really show what being a monk means to that person, which is very open ended. It’s supposed to be. I want people to define and embrace their characters and have those characters grow, rather than just be making a monk because they have magic hands or some other reason.
  • I am asking members to nominate themselves simply because the GM can’t be expected to keep tabs on everything. Also, the roleplay option doesn’t have to be obviously about the Way. It can be subtle, which means it might get missed, so a member needs to stand up for themselves and say “hey you! Over here!” Again, I am looking for effort and engagement, so any reasonable attempt to satisfy the requirement will be accepted.
  • Note: The GM may award the Elder title for other reasons if they see fit. However, it should primarily fall under the roleplay option.
fearecia

Re: Proposed Guild Progression

Post by fearecia »

So, if I write this into law, as it were, nobody cares?
radiance
Guild: Monks
Temple: Hopes and Dreams

Post by radiance »

Brother/Sister and getting the Unicorn Charm did not require going through all the paths previously. In the structure I did about three years ago, Bro/Sis were only required to give a discussion of "The Way" which they can read on the Google Drive that is given in the gnotices. It's just a basic, "We're Monks and supposed to be spiritual, and balance, and blah blah." If you want a more in-depth discussion of the Way for Sensei (as you have in this structure), then that is fine- the Bro/Sis should be super basic, but as a Monk they absolutely should have some sort of idea of who we are.

Radiance
fearecia

Post by fearecia »

Right. I'll adjust that. And sorry Rad. I tend to forget you redid things a few years ago - I'm still operating off of the progression as it stood over 10 years ago. Lol.
TybrasUS
Guild: Monks
Temple: Magic

Post by TybrasUS »

I care!
Tybras
Scholar of Magic
JustAShadow

Post by JustAShadow »

Full Disclosure, I am no longer a member of this guild, but if I may, I would like to add my two cents.
I also know this is an old thread..

I studied under Nacko. I really like the way that as a student, I learned so much history and lore about the guild. Everything was paced well, and I progressed when Nacko saw fit. I learned the old ways. I know that player numbers are low, so I understand why you want to do what you want to do. I hope that you keep the option open for the old ways, not because they are old, but because they are extremely rewarding for those who want to pursue that path. The Monks benefit immensely from the fact that so many Elders are still around to teach.
fearecia

Post by fearecia »

Shadow,

I too, studied under the very old ways, and adored the learning that happened then. This suggested restructuring is simply moving a lot of that learning up to the Sensei/Elder level, so that it is not lost, but doesn't prevent younger monks from earning their way higher up in the guild, as priorities for a lot of players have shifted.

Return to “Monks' Guild”