An Ogre’s Vigil

Messages for the Knights' Guild
OgreDambuhala
Guild: Knights

An Ogre’s Vigil

Post by OgreDambuhala »

Dambuhala had been keeping his distance from the Knight’s fortress and from other Knights.
The storm he experienced recently cluttered his mind and sent him on a rage.

Too many individuals. Too many ulterior motives. Too many acts of elitism.

It drove him crazy and drove him deeper into the storm he has been stuck in. His light burns very dimly. He is fed up.
To the point even where he no longer wishes to seek any leadership position within the guild.

No longer feeling like he was standing for something, or a part of anything, he contemplated ending his
time with the guild and seeking life just for himself.

The storm was driving him mad.

While sitting in Tranos, he sensed a voice talking to him. He strained to hear the unfamiliar voice and tried to recognize it.

“Why are you not a Knight yet?” the voice asked. The voice continued with more questions.
The Ogre then realized he was talking to Lady Elwing.

The Ogre explained his predicament and why he was yet to be dubbed a Knight. She answered;

“It is time that you become one.”

Dambuhala contemplated what he had just heard. No, the storm still rages within him and the anger and confusion
is still gnawing at his insides, yet, the rain for a moment let up.

Dambuhala was given his instructions and he complied with this Guild Leader.

He took his time to figure out how he would go about it and if it was really what he wanted to do. He didn’t know
if he did, but he decided to submit and go through his rite of passage.

“If this is where my fate is taking me,” he pondered, “then let it play out.”

He walked along-side his Mammoth toward the guild. After stabling his mount he acquired the implements he
remembered his former Guild Leader instructing him to use. Elwing allowed the Ogre to perform his rite as he
was instructed prior out of respect for the former leader.

Dambuhala stripped down out of his rusty armor in the guild stowing it away. An attendee insisted on helping
the Ogre prepare but Dambuhala refused any help. He never like being “served” as many attendees in the guild do.

He washed to cleanse his body. Now it was time to cleanse his cluttered and noisy mind.

He donned a white robe, the one thing the attendee did bring him. The only items he took with him was his
first sword and a candle. He walked to the chapel taking his time. A deep breath before he entered was a weak
attempt to prepare himself to stay closed up in the chapel.

He made it to the altar and set the candle on the altar and lit it. He then laid the sword on the ground beside him.
An attendee offered a cushion for him to kneel on but the Ogre told him to leave the chapel and leave with it.

He knelt down, wincing slightly as his old wounded knees met the floor.

Looking up, the first thing to catch his eye was the dragon hilt on a sword. He eyes locked on it and his shoulders slouched.

“What am I doing?” he murmured.

Dambuhala already knew he was going to be here for a long time.

There was too much involved in this storm for him to contemplate.
Dambuhala - An Ogre
OgreDambuhala

Re: An Ogre’s Vigil

Post by OgreDambuhala »

The Ogre spent all night and the next day in deep reflection in the chapel.

Over and over he played out the story line of his life. Its purpose, its meaning, its future.

He did not even notice the person that entered the chapel and stood in the shadows.

The Ogre’s eyes shot open at the sound of a whisper and the sensation of breath on his ear.

“I should blow out that candle.” The whisper challenged.

Dambuhala did not move from his position or flinch.

“There is nothing to stop you.” He replied to the voice not expecting what was about to happen.

“Except my respect for what you are doing” said the voice again except this time louder and more
Recognizable. The figure moved from the shadow behind the Ogre and into view.

The Ogre grinned as he recognized his dear friend Velvet.

“Hello friend.” He said lifting his head enough to acknowledge her but without moving from his
Position on his knees with his hands on his thighs.

“Greetings.” She replied then inquired; “All is well?”

“I don’t know, Time will tell.”

Velvet looked around the chapel then back at Dambuhala.

“Must you starve and thirst while here?” she asked noticing no food or water.

The Ogre sighed slightly then looked up at the crest.

“I have much to think about. I have not given any thought to that.”

Velvet just nodded and the room was silent for a moment.

Dambuhala heard Velvet digging into her pack then heard the sound of a glass bottle being set next to him.
Then he seen her place some fruit next to him out of the corner of his eyes. He gave a slight grin to acknowledge the gift.

“I shall enjoy that when I am finished.” He said not allowing the gift to distract him from his focus.

“Sometimes food and drink will relax the mind.” She said. “Good luck in your endeavors," She then turned to walk
away and stopped when the Ogre spoke again.

“I have actually began to relax here.”

Velvet warmly smiled at the Ogre. “That is a start. Take care of yourself.” She said as she bowed.

“You as well” Dambuhala replied looking up and behind himself to see his friend but she left the building making no sound.

The Ogre sighed and looked back up toward the crest. He looked at the wolf hilt on one of the swords. The light from the
candles causing the star sapphire to glimmer and change with every flicker of the candle.

Then Dambuhala focused on the missing eye of the wolf. He felt a connection. Like the wolf missing a light shimmering eye,
he too was missing something. Like somebody plucked the eye out of the hilt, the Ogre felt as if somebody, or something had
plucked the light right out of him.

A void was formed where the light once was. That void was where the storm raged.

Dambuhala lowered his head and just gazed at the floor.

“What am I becoming?” He muttered to himself.
Dambuhala - An Ogre
OgreDambuhala

Re: An Ogre’s Vigil

Post by OgreDambuhala »

The Ogre was now exhausted on his third night of contemplation.

There was still much he was unsure of. No end to the storm. No rekindling of light.
However, he had never spent this much time dwelling on his own life. Maybe that was the only gift from this rite of passage.
If not a new understanding of life, at least a better picture of it.

Dambuhala thought through many aspects of life. He pondered his experiences, his emotions, his joys, and his sorrows.

Pain. Physical pain he had become so accustomed to. His body constantly ached and as a man of battle he was constantly
injured. Emotional pain. He had hardly put himself in a position where he allowed himself to be emotionally hurt.

Pleasure. The Ogre had lost touch with pleasure. He could not even think of a simple thing that granted him such.
Being honest with himself, he realized he never had really allowed himself to find pleasure in life.

Love. What did he have to love? He could not answer that question. There had never been love in his life. Either given or received.

Hate. Hate he was full of. It was the storm that raged in his mind. There are many things he hates and has come to hate.
There is no shortage of hate in his mind. Most things he hates, he simply avoids.

Anger. His anger was always worn on his outer appearance. Quick to anger he realized he was. It was possible he could
improve on this though he made himself no promises.

Loyalty. The Ogre has always been loyal. Loyal to those he served. Loyal to those he protected. Loyal to those he helped and those who needed him.

Dambhala began to realize that even within this storm he still had purpose. Though he was still unsure of this purpose, he decided to dedicate himself to finding it.

At the moment, he was a Knight. He needed to remain loyal to the code he sworn to. To honor his word and his promise. To carry out his charge.

There were many quirks and things wrong with himself he understood. These things, if to be fixed, may, if at all, be fixed in the future. But for now, he needed to be a Knight.

He needed to give himself to something. Stand for something. Honor something. Even if he did not feel worthy or deserving of the responsibility.
Perhaps, after he passes through this rite, he will find that purpose. Find that calling. Find that meaning in life that he can live for.
A way to alleviate the pain. Dull the hate. Channel the anger. Enjoy pleasure. Maybe even find love.

The Ogre looked up and saw the candle had burned itself out hours ago. His legs where stiff from kneeling for so long. He slowly got to his feet and rested himself on a
pew to allow his body time to get used to moving again. He looked down and saw the treat that his friend had left. His stomach finally alerted him to the fact he had not
had any food in 3 days. He enjoyed the treat.

“What next?” He asked himself.

Taking up his sword he headed out of the chapel and to the stables to tend to his horse.

Still unsure about the future the Ogre at least knew he had learned much about the past and who he is today from the time he spent in his contemplation.

Dambuhala - An Ogre

Return to “Knights' Guild”