Wyat

Messages for the Druids' Guild
wyat

Wyat

Post by wyat »

Dirt, mud, clay, soil, this was the domain of my family. Many forest spirits took form and inspiration from plants and animals that could be found flourishing in nature. Many forest spirits overlooked my family. The mighty oak tree spread its limbs across the sky. It’s leaves and branches enough to block out the stars and sun from the forest floor. Roses and tulips sprouted beautiful blossoms. These blossoms were pleasing to the eyes and nose. The cunning and power of the wolves as they hunted in packs was such that man tried to copy their strategies, and would even seek to try to tame the creatures for companions.

My family though was often overlooked as we minded the soil. It came with no glory. It came with no admiration. But we served as the foundation for all. We guarded the Cycle. It was the soil that provided the place for the seeds to grow. It was the soil that served as the final resting place when the animals would perish. It was the soil that served as the final resting place for the might tree when it had been cut down by man. It was the soil that would turn the corpses of trees and animals into the nutrients for the next seed to grow. That would provide the food for the deer. The deer would provide food for the bear. The bear would provide food and skins that man would eat and wear. And when man would die, they would once more, return to the soil.

But mankind had begun to spread further and further into our domain. The dwarves dug deep into the soil to build their cities. The elves climbed the oaks to build their cities, and the humans would cut down and push back the limits of the forest as their cities and provinces expanded.

My family knew this way the way, they knew that they were part of the Circle, but they did not understand why it was that Man was so aggressive in their spread. Other animals tended to naturally stay in packs or in their own areas of the lands, but Man seemed determined to spread their territory larger and larger.

So it was that I was sent out to leave our family territory to try to understand Man, to understand why Man was so forward in their expansion. To try to find a way to balance out their ways. The Circle seemed at times, as if it was changing. If we were to continue to be a family of the ground, then we had to know how best to serve these changing times and these changing lands.

It was not long after I left the wilds and began to travel the roads that I learned that there were a small number of Man trying to do the same thing, so I have sought them out. I left my family when I was eighteen. I am sixty one now. I have watched for years. Now, I wish to join these…druids.

I have learned to read the texts that these druids have written, the story of the ancient wizard who would become a god that founded the group. Of how the Creator himself saw the need for the ways of peace and created a place for them.
I have read the texts that declare the responsibility of these druids to try to understand how all things fit into the Circle. Life, death, growth and decay.
I have read that they try to serve the lands, but always in a way that does not cause ripples through the circle as a stone thrown into the lake.

I have read that they respect the lands, it is true, the rose and tulip are beautiful to look at, but that is is also true that hurricanes and earth shakes are mighty. Even as tranquil as nature can be, it can become a fearsome beast all on its own.

I have read that they believe their lives are dedicated to gaining more knowledge. Just as over the years a rivers course can change, so they believe that they should constantly study and adapt. For the same journey through the forest will never be the same. There will always be new growth and new death.

They understand or, at least, try to understand, guarding the Circle is a never ending task.

So it is that if I wish to study with them, to try to understand what knowledge they have and to build my own understanding off of it, I must be admitted into their cave.
To do this, I must speak with one of their own. They number few. As was to be expected, not many of the Man have given their life to this service. So I wait.

Return to “Druids' Guild”