Branded Through Ordeal (Brotherhood Incentive/Reward System)

Messages for the Order of the Toa-Sung Brotherhood (formerly Brotherhood Guild)
Alkesh
Guild: Brotherhood

Branded Through Ordeal (Brotherhood Incentive/Reward System)

Post by Alkesh »

(Please thoroughly read the OOC details in next post as well)

Greetings and good tidings.

In my studies thus far, I have happened across the writings of ancient Brother Ramar, who labored to tap the seven focal points of his body, mind and spirit. To this end, Brother Ramar sought out those primordial forces of the lands which, according to his findings within the Kai’Tung, corresponded to said foci. He scathed himself, surrendering to the land’s might and emerging stronger on the other side. When it was done, he branded his body at each focal point and reflected deeply on his experience.

I am fascinated by Brother Ramar’s efforts; we of this era stand to benefit by following in his footsteps and indeed seeking our own ways to test body, mind and spirit, yes?

Currently, I am in the process of fashioning brands in the same style as those used by Brother Ramar. Any among us who wish to feel their empowering sting need only to study his writings herein and walk as he did. Where great dedication is shown, there will be material rewards available to those who see merit in such things.

Dig deep.

On the Brands...

On Earth and the Root (Prerequisite: Guild Level 20)
“...experience through the centuries, and yet it was during my earliest days that I learned the most from the primal land itself...poisons and the crushing weight of stone would both ever waylay and guide me…"
Brother Ramar’s Ordeal
  • Rewards: Up to 40K Gold and Prefix Title “Of the First Brand”
One’s Own Ordeal
  • Rewards: Choice of Item and Custom Prefix Title

On Water and the Sacrum (Prerequisite: Guild Level 30 and completion of an ordeal on Earth and the Root)
“...until my hands and feet were raw, I climbed...and when the mountain would suffer me no longer, I fell...from the highest peak to the lowest chasm, swept out to sea, a ragdoll at the mercy of mighty Norland’s currents…”
Brother Ramar’s Ordeal
  • Rewards: Up to 40K Gold and Prefix Title “Of the Second Brand”
One’s Own Ordeal

On Fire and the Core (Prerequisite: Guild Level 40 and completion of an ordeal on Water and the Sacrum)
“...molten rock splattered and hissed on the ground before me...but I did not turn back, for my quest was to bathe in the lake of fire…”
Brother Ramar’s Ordeal
  • Rewards: Up to 40K Gold and Prefix Title “Of the Third Brand”
One’s Own Ordeal

On Air and the Heart (Prerequisite: Guild Level 50 and completion of an ordeal on Fire and the Core)
“...razor wind lashed me, like the buffeting wings of some monstrous demon bird, threatening to hurl me from those dizzying heights or simply snuff my life there on the mountainside...”
Brother Ramar’s Ordeal
  • Rewards: Up to 60K Gold and Prefix Title “Of the Fourth Brand”
One’s Own Ordeal

On the Body and the Throat (Prerequisite: Guild Level 60 and completion of an ordeal on Air and the Heart)
“...through twisting passes of ancient crags...through stinking quarries and ruins of lost industry...through ash-choked tunnels beneath the eyes of dragons and brigands...and finally to the ledge before that great yawning canyon I came…”
Brother Ramar’s Ordeal
  • Rewards: Up to 80K Gold and Prefix Title “Of the Fifth Brand”
One’s Own Ordeal

On the Mind and the Third Eye (Prerequisite: Guild Level 70 and completion of an ordeal on the Body and the Throat)
“...to willingly expose one’s mind to the realm’s darkest forces is to invite an eternity of madness and agony...these very obstacles we must master if we are to ever reach the pinnacle...and these are but two of the earliest handholds…”
Brother Ramar’s Ordeal
  • Rewards: Up to 80K Gold and Prefix Title “Of the Sixth Brand”
One’s Own Ordeal

On the Spirit and the Crown (Prerequisite: Guild Level 80 and completion of an ordeal on the Mind and the Third Eye)
“...long after the body and mind have both tested and broken, the spirit burns brightest, enduring within those of the will to coppice...”
Brother Ramar’s Ordeal
  • Rewards: Up to 80K Gold and Prefix Title “Of the Seventh Brand”
One’s Own Ordeal

On Ordeals All (Prerequisite: Full completion of Brother Ramar’s Ordeals or One’s Own Ordeals)
“...and at the end of this road I have reached the beginning, shattered and reborn...I am yet an infant begging to sup…”
Reflection on Brother Ramar’s Ordeals
  • Reward: Choice of Item and Custom Prefix Title
Reflection on One’s Own Ordeals

On Rewards...

Only one item may be chosen per brand earned. Custom titles must be relevant to the ordeal from which you earn them.

On Earth and the Root / On Water and the Sacrum / On Fire and the Core / On Air and the Heart:
  • Dull Wool Ring
  • White Leather Ring
  • Leather Wrist Guard
  • Heated Wrist Guard
On the Body and the Throat / On the Mind and the Third Eye / On the Spirit and the Crown:
  • Thick Braided Cord
  • Spiritual Ring
  • Spiritual Wrist Guard
On Ordeals All:
  • Sharpened Moon Sai
  • Steel Sai
Last edited by Alkesh on Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Alkesh
Guild: Brotherhood

Re: Branded Through Ordeal (Brotherhood Incentive/Reward System)

Post by Alkesh »

*** OOC ***

In the above system, you earn brands (titles) by completing ordeals (tasks). There are two brand tracks to progress through: Brother Ramar’s Ordeals (in-game exploration focus with some light RP), and One’s Own Ordeals (heavier RP/writing focus). You can progress through each track simultaneously, one at a time, or flip-flop between the two along the way. You can go back and complete any missed ordeals at your convenience, or ignore missed ordeals forever. Play how you want.

Obviously, RP and in-game exploration are both strongly encouraged. Those who fully complete all the ordeals of both tracks will earn all the rewards showcased in the previous post. There are no specific length requirements for RP, but honest and solid effort is expected.

“Brother Ramar’s Ordeals” is the track focused on in-game exploration and light RP. You will follow in Brother Ramar’s footsteps; his recorded ordeals are related to room traps which you will be tasked to find and endure yourself.

You must complete the following to earn each brand in the Brother Ramar's Ordeals track:
  • Speak in-character about your ordeal with the Guild Master.
  • Provide the title and description of the room in which the trap was found, and prove that you took the damage and/or died from the trap.
    • Acceptable proof is either allowing the Guild Master to physically witness your scathing in the trap, providing the description text that appears when the trap is triggered, and/or your appropriate presence on the DEATHS list.
    • In the event that you have a high Remove Traps skill and cannot get the trap to trigger after 5 rest/re-enter attempts, providing the title and description of the room will be sufficient.
    • FULLY ACCURATE wording of room titles/room and trap descriptions will be mandatory if the Guild Master is unavailable to bear physical witness. No exceptions, so pay close attention. Logging or copy + paste is advised.

“One’s Own Ordeal” is the more “RP heavy” track. You will come up with your own stories of testing yourself involving Brotherhood-appropriate themes, while also matching the themes of each brand. For example, for On Earth and the Root you might tell the story of digging a pit, training at the bottom until you drop from exhaustion, and then summoning the will to climb out before the pit becomes your grave. For On Water and the Sacrum, you might tell the story of swimming out to sea until your lungs beg for mercy, and then fighting waves that strike you like solid stone as you learn what drowning feels like during your return to shore. You do not have to seek out actual in-game room traps for this track; the RP is entirely up to you.

You must complete the following to earn each brand in the One's Own Ordeals track:
  • Speak in-character about your own ordeal with the Guild Master.
  • Write and post an account of your own ordeal on the Brotherhood boards for all to see.

For any questions or clarification, feel free to ask me (Alkesh) in the lands or by message.

Return to “Order of the Toa-Sung Brotherhood”