I, Alkesh

Messages for the Order of the Toa-Sung Brotherhood (formerly Brotherhood Guild)
Alkesh
Guild: Brotherhood

I, Alkesh

Post by Alkesh »

I, Alkesh, am here to tell you a bit of of what brought me here. You will stay a while, yes? I will do my best not to ramble.

The road is unkind, and yet fruitful. For years I have traveled on foot, trading what I could scavenge for a few coins or a meal or perhaps a sip of water. Sometimes, the city gate guards would turn me away on sight, seeing perhaps a bringer of lice, disease and depression. All true, perhaps, for the naive and the fat feasting on grapes behind the safety of walls.

Those with whom I did chance to trade delighted to spit on me. They could see desperation in my eyes, and would offer me less than I asked knowing that I would surely accept their pittance to survive another miserable day. For who was I but a wretch? To their privileged eyes, I oozed of desperation and weakness. They saw desperation, yes, but not weakness. A void. An apathy. A fortress. Though the road and its travelers were cruel, my resolve strengthened beneath their insults and their spurs. ... Perhaps another day I will tell you more stories of the long and dusty road, mm?

Now then: when I often traded near Tranos and near the Red Stone Mountains...less so, but occasionally nonetheless...I heard rumors of the Kai'Tung, though not by name of course. Rumors of a temple, such as it is, where the most disciplined could learn to harness a life of hardship, yes? A place where one could not only accept, as I had thus, but embrace desolation not as a victim, but as an aspirant.

I know much of solitude from my days on the road, yes...it has beaten me down, but it has also built me up. Today, that foundation is as sturdy as the road alone can mold. So, as the first Brothers did, I look inward. I have come among you, Brothers, to embrace the Kai'Tung and seek my inner strength. Perhaps one day I will find it.

Return to “Order of the Toa-Sung Brotherhood”