Grief's Trial of Humility

Messages for the Order of the Toa-Sung Brotherhood (formerly Brotherhood Guild)
Grief
Guild: Brotherhood
Temple: Death

Grief's Trial of Humility

Post by Grief »

Brotherhood,

I am Grief. I wish to explore what it means to be truly humble and accept my mortal shortcomings. I wish to further understand my inner weaknesses in order to strengthen my spirit.

So, on this otherworldly date of January 31st, 2017 I begin my trial of humility. At this time I am Land Level 138 and Guild Level 134.

I can only hope that I will endure unbelievable hardship in this regard, and extract the wisdom out of that difficulty.
Grief

Humility: Dressing the Part

Post by Grief »

The Trial of Humility is a sacred and hallowed journey. I record it so that I may remember in vivid detail what hardships I endure upon it. That these writings will always serve to teach me and keep me humble should I ever stray from this path.

Seeker of Humility's Log: Day 1

On this day I cast aside my worldly things--items given to me by the Guild's tutors, or bought through the little money I've acquired. Even "Chem Char", the divine chain, and other boons of Brotherhood service. Soulburst was taken to the stables in Tranos where I attempted to give instructions that he be fed seldom, so he may continue his suffering. I adorned myself only in the simplest of attire: a wool robe and sandals. My weapons shall consist of only my fists and my raw determination.

I made way to the center of Tranos to people watch and subject myself to temptation, to attempt to divorce myself from want for material physical strength. This happened sooner than expected, as I soon encountered a pair of Devardec Monks. One of them was called "Long", a follower of War I have grown to know while exploring the world. He and the other Monk were of course happily wearing all those things that give their bodies physical strength. And there it was. Temptation to stray from the way. To rearm myself with all those items of power and go explore those things we had planned of for many days before this.

They will never know my suffering, but these men shall never reap the fruits of my enlightenment either. I must endure.

We parted ways, as I was yet aware of what my body would be able to endure. I have passed this small test.

And so I at least look the part of Brothers before me who have attempted this trial, but I am eager to learn what my body can take. That my lack of physical prowess will bring my spirit to a new breaking point.

I must be no one. Not Grief. Certainly not Guildmaster. Only a Seeker of Humility.

Grief

Humility: A Field Test

Post by Grief »

Seeker of Humility's Log: Day 3

Today I set out to the world, attempting to do my best to break myself and test my bounds. I tasked myself with obtaining a handful of Guild ranks during this raw period.

Of course my instincts were at once wrong. I whispered the words to transfer my body elsewhere, but then… remembered that was a vice I could not enjoy. It was a truly humbling thing though, realizing in that moment that I had become that dependent on such a small thing--translocating myself with my unhoned magic…

No spells. A bit longer walk can't hurt.

I soon found myself trying to reap the drow of Oligar's Fortress. A meager beginning it made for, without my spells or equipment. It felt like an extension of me was missing, yet I was surely all there. And so began a world of true suffering. They rent my flesh, yet I must not heal. Poisoned, yet I must know no antidote.

No spells. No weapons. No rings. No trinkets. No charms. Just my fists... and my determination.

This is absolutely crippling. I have never felt so small. I pray I may find the spirit to endure.

I took very long rests today. Very long rests indeed. Patient. And slow.

A little bit at a time.
Grief

Humility: Wisdom from Woe

Post by Grief »

Seeker of Humility's Log: Day 5

On this day, I write of understanding those struggles I've endured.

Something strange happens when one sets out on this trial. When one strips themselves of their perks, gold, and titles, another world is revealed to them. Without these things, there is initial hardship, yes. However, as time passes those things seem to mean less and less. One adapts, and in this new world one may focus their attention on their spiritual growth instead.

What once vexed me is now a trifling thing in this regard. My determination has flourished.

"Powerless" is but a state of mind. I shall never lack strength from within. Through my spirit I will persevere.

Grief

Humility: A Lasting Journey

Post by Grief »

Seeker of Humility's Log: Day 7

On this day, I write to advise my Trial of Humility has concluded. However, what I have taken away will endure.

I was particularly humbled by the difficulty and laborious nature of the trial. This instilled me with a sense of deep respect for Brothers who have endured it similarly in the past. I encourage all Brothers to suffer through the trials at some point, as enduring this nostalgic process really honed my personal appreciation of what others had done before, and of the Guild itself.

I also want to note that while I kept a log and handled this somewhat in a "suggested" way one Brother might share their struggle, this is not the requirement and was merely illustrative. The only posting requirement is the one advising the rest you're beginning your trial. I point that out because adherence to the other strictures will be more than enough to ensure your adequate suffering.

Return to “Order of the Toa-Sung Brotherhood”