Thoughts on a "Mentor Program"

Messages for the Order of the Toa-Sung Brotherhood (formerly Brotherhood Guild)
Grief
Guild: Brotherhood
Temple: Death

Thoughts on a "Mentor Program"

Post by Grief »

Brotherhood,

I figured I'd take the time to open up a brief dialogue on why I don't think a formal "mentor" program is necessary. This is also the topic of our guildvote, and a chance for you to follow up and share with me what you think before I attempt to turn this place on its head.

Ideally, I would be looking at a structure that went something similar to this:

1. First Prefix: Simple Color. Brothers freshly acknowledged by the GM will receive a prefix color of gray. This applies to anyone with a nonexisting prefix that has a default color, and not necessarily always a "new brother". Brothers may also opt for the colors of red or dark red (but no bubbly "Monk" colors). Brothers may stay here and not participate in any formal program if they choose to suffer this path, but would not be eligible for any items or titles contemplated under this scheme.

2. Second Prefix: "Disciple". Upon reaching guildlevel 10, Brothers may take the prefix "Disciple" after they have posted a small introduction on our Guild Forum. This is literally not asking much. An acceptable submission would include something like: "Name", "Reason for Joining", and "What this Brother is Seeking from Our Halls". You would not need to give us a full history or background about yourself. Ideally we could also flirt with the idea of giving you one of the lesser rings or guards that are summonable for Brothers which are < guildlevel 50.

3. Third Prefix: "Brother". A Brother (regardless of gender) can receive the "Brother" prefix assuming: Brother has attained (a) guildlevel 25; (b) holds/met all requirements for the "Disciple" prefix; and, (c) posts something demonstrating their understanding of what we are about and how/why we are different than the "Monks" Guild, or, has that conversation with the GM or GO to their satisfaction. Potential additional < guildlevel 50 item here.

4. Custom Prefix. If a Brother has met all other requirements above, has obtained guildlevel 50, and completed at least the Trial of Suffering or Trial of Humility, they would be eligible for a custom prefix (that isn't OOC).

Now, in my opinion this kind of scheme handles everything: It awards your tithe to the Guild and natural progress as you level. It encourages some activity on our forums without being overbearing on those that don't like to write a lot. It makes sure you understand what our Guild is about but lets you maintain your independence. And it serves the purpose of a "mentor program" (e.g., make you learn about the Guild) without being one.

This would not be applied retroactively. For example, Brothers with the title "Brother" or a Custom Prefix will not have these removed or have to start over. Brothers who can show evidence (archived forums, perhaps) of past completion of the Trials would be given the credit they are owed, etc.

I leave it to your wisdom to vote on this, object, or make recommendations, or just generally haze me for my own suffering.

Suffer well,

Grief.
Last edited by Grief on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grief
Guild: Brotherhood
Temple: Death

Re: Thoughts on a "Mentor Program"

Post by Grief »

Provided the results of the Guildvote indicating we do not need a formal mentor program, and because no objections were raised on this thread, the above is in effect immediately.

I will begin drafting a slightly more formal document to this extent that will codify and address other questions that may remain; such as, any items your suffering earns you.

In the meantime, if you have questions... I have answers.

Grief.

Return to “Order of the Toa-Sung Brotherhood”