Of Bones and Kindred Spirits...

Messages for the Barbarians' Guild
Alioik
Guild: Barbarians

Of Bones and Kindred Spirits...

Post by Alioik »

Alioik opens his eyes slowly, the last thing he remembered was cold, extreme cold. As the world around him comes into focus he feels a familiar warmth.

"Naria? I should have figured, how much you be wanting this time?"

She held up 5 fingers and Ali opened up his pouch and paid her for her services. As he stepped out of the Naria's realm he was blasted by the familiar heat of Devardec. He made his way to the closest bar, a drink would help him remember what had happened. He ordered and ale and took a big gulp. Suddenly, he remembered! He has been on his way back to the guild after completing his Bane of Dragons task. He was feeling confident and didn't even hear the beating of large wings behind him. When he noticed what was happening it was too late, a very Large Blue Dragon had frozen him on the spot and taken his head. It was almost poetic, he had spent hours hunting these dragons, and the moment he had let his guard down, he died. Ali took another big gulp and finished his ale, he ordered a second and started to make plans. He needed to hunt that dragon down, not out of spite or anger, he was more angry at himself. He would hunt it down because it would give him perhaps the strongest blood he had ever had. No creature had ever killed him in such spectacular fashion. It's blood would make him stronger than anything else he had ever taken blood from. Having made up his mind, he quickly finished ale and made his way out of Devardec.

A short time later Alioik made his way back to the area in the Wyrm Spire Mountains that the dragon had attacked him. He felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up and quickly turned around expecting a dragon. He drew his axe in one fluid motion and made ready to attack, but nothing was there. He crept slowly forward trying to send out his sense, to see if he could feel where he was being watched from. Suddenly he heard a noise, he whirled and was confronted by something terrifying and amazing all at the same time. It was a dog, a HUGE shadowy dog! He took a step back slowly, this dog was large enough that if it wanted to it could take him down. However the dog seemed intent on his pack. Slowly he reached backwards with his axe in hand. The dog suddenly growled and bared its teeth! Alioik put his empty hand forward.

"Easy there, i'm not gonna use my axe on you, I was just going put it into my pack..."

The dog stopped growling but seemed ready to pounce as Ali put the axe into his pack. He then took his pack off and put it on the ground. The dog seemed to follow the pack with his eyes as he laid it down. Ali looked at the dog then his pack, he wondered what the dog would want. It suddenly hit him! "Of course" he though as he reached into his pack and pulled out a dragon bone.

"You know I was taking this thing back to the guild as a trophy, but maybe you should take it."

The dog drooled eagerly as Ali tossed him the bone. It turned away as if to make off with its prize but it perked its ears as Ali started to talk.

"I was taking that bone to my guild because bones are very important to us Barbarians. We shun metal and we use bones, sinew, skin and wood in our armor and weaponry. I was going to use that very bone for my Kindred of the Clan task. Would you like to hear what I was going to say to my brethren?"

The dog laid down close to Ali and started to chew the bone, it then looked up and cocked its head to the side. It seemed to be saying, I'm waiting, tell me your story.

Ali chuckled and continued, "You know one of the reasons I joined the Barbarians guild is because my father. He was a rich merchant who turned to weapon selling to make a profit. One of his metal daggers cursed me and to this day, I shun metal just as the other Barbarians do. As I said before bones are very important to my guild. They protect us, they allow us to hunt and they also connect us to our ancestors. Bone, while it may age, will not rust away like metal. Heat will not mess up its temper, bone is reliable. It connects us to nature, and the past. We respect our kills by taking their bones and making them into our weapons and armor. We use bones from strong foes, to protect us and help us slay even stronger ones."

The dogs ears perked up and it stopped chewing on the bone. It's brow furrowed and it started to growl softly. Ali put his hand out to the dog, patting it on the head. He slowly leaned forward and put his hand in his pack around the handle of his axe. He tensed up but continued talking.

"Yes when I was asked to find something for the guild for my Kindred task, I just knew it had to be a bone..."

Suddenly Ali turned and swung his axe as hard as he could, leaving a gash in the neck of the Large Blue Dragon that had been slowly creeping up on him. He dragons screamed and its ice breath vented out the gash in its neck. The icy breath froze over the wound and the dragon didn't seemed phased at all. Ali put himself between the dragon and the Shadow Mastiff.

He shouted to the dog, "I know this foe! Quickly, run away I won't let it hurt you!"

Ali rushed forward to meet the dragon before it could freeze him or the mastiff with its breath. He swung a mighty blow, but with a few beats of its wings, the dragon was out of range. Ali chanced a quick glance behind him to see if the dog was still there, it wasn't. The glance cost him however as he felt a freezing cold grip his left arm. His arm fell limply to his side, too cold to function. He turned back towards to dragon and yelled his rage at his foe!

"You bested me once this day, But. It. Will. NOT. Happen. A. Second. Time!"

The dragon curled its lips back, it seemed to smile cruelly at Alioik. It flapped into the air higher and higher, it was preparing to dive. As the dragon reached the peak of its flight, it tucked its wings to its side and dove right at the Barbarian. Ali dove out of the reach of the crawls, he avoided a killing blow, but still felt blood dripping from cuts on his back. As he landed on the ground he looked around a could not see his foe. He then heard him, he heard claws rasping on the ground coming closer to him. He rolled over onto his back and clutched his axe in his one good hand. He dragon's huge head hovered over his body looking down at him with a glint in its eyes. It seemed to be considering whether it wanted its meal frozen or fresh. As Alioik mentally tallied if he had enough money to pay Naria a second time, he saw something out of the corner of his eye. It was the mastiff! It was on the rocks above the dragon and himself. The dragon reared up and drew in a large breath, it seemed it wished its meal frozen this day. Right as the dragon had filled its lungs, the mastiff jumped from the cliff and sunk its teeth into the dragons neck. The dragon reared back in pain, and spent its killing breath into the air. Alioik took the chance given to him by the mastiff and threw his axe as hard as he could at the dragon. The axe made a wet meaty noise as it suck the full depth of its blade into the dragons neck. The life fled the dragons eyes and its fell to the ground. The mastiff released its grip on the back the dragons next and ran over to where Alioik was bleeding out. Ali looked up at the dog and smiled.

"I sure am glad I shared a bone with you my friend, thank you. However, I think that dragon managed to get me a second time..."

Alioik's head fell backwards and his eyes started to close. The dog grabbed his arm lightly in its mouth an dragged Ali over to the dragon. Ali felt something warm under his finger tips, it was the blood of the dragon. He tried to bring to blood to his face to complete his ritual and heal, but he was too injured. The mastiff dipped its paws into the pool of blood that was forming and put them on Alioik's face. Ali's eyes flew open and he took a deep breath, the red mist that had formed from the dogs markings entered into him and started to heal him. Ali looked over at the shadow mastiff in woderment.

"How did you know about my secret...?

The dog sat down next to him and rested its head on his chest. Ali fell into a deep sleep and heard a voice in his head.

"You and this dog are now connected, you shared a sacred piece of the Barbarians with it and you tried to protect it. You now have a companion for the rest of you hunts!"

Alioik opened his eyes, he had only slept for minutes but it felt like hours. He looked over and saw the dog standing watch over him. It must have heard him move, or maybe even felt him wake because it turned and looked at him. It went over to the dragon corpse and used its jaws to rip and tear away the skin from the dragon. It reached past flesh and muscle and pulled someone from the corpse. The dog came over the Alioik and dropped something at his feet. It was a bone! He had given the dog and bone, and protected it. Not the dog had protected him and given him a bone. Alioik stood up and patted the dog on the head. "Thanks." He said to the dog. He shouldered his pack, retrieved his axe from the corpse of his foe and turned to head back to his guild. He turned and looked at the dog.

"Well aren't you coming? I'm presenting this bone to my guildmates as my Kindred of the Clan task. I can't think of anything better to represent our guild than a bone given, then received from a new lifelong companion!"
vampirss
Guild: Barbarians
Temple: Dread

Re: Of Bones and Kindred Spirits...

Post by vampirss »

Congratulations Alioik! Sounds to me like you have made a lifelong friend and faithful companion. You have embraced that which is Barbarian!
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
High Lady of Twilight, House Umbra
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress

Return to “Barbarians' Guild”