5 times the ground trembled

Messages for the Barbarians' Guild
Alioik
Guild: Barbarians

5 times the ground trembled

Post by Alioik »

Alioik is once again sitting against a wall in a cave. His face is freshly painted with blood, and his axe is embedded in a head taller than he is. He pulls out parchment and dips his finger in blood to write his tale.

After my handling of the Troll problem, I was asked to look at bigger prey, MUCH bigger prey. I was told to head back into Dirim and look for a cave of giants. When I arrived in the cave I was amazed at how large the tunnels and and caverns were, they were in fact giant. I wondered what sort of creature lived in such a cave, how big would my prey be. I had been given options by Tashmaal. I could either killed the Spiked Giant Ambassador, which would hinder the Giant's community, or I could kill each of the giant types. These type were Spiked, Ancient, Hill, Mountain and Fog. If I chose this path I was also required to bring back a trinket that would increase strength. I decided to take the more challenging task, it seemed fitting for a Barbarian to try a task that would end in lots of death, either my own or the Giants.

I wandered the southern part of the cave, coming across several locked doors. These doors made me very happy that I had contracts Jasra to make me a ring with the Unlock spell. After opening the third locked door and stepping past the threshold I heard a wooshing sound. I dove to the ground as poisoned darts flew over my head, however one managed to hit me in the leg. I pulled out the dart quickly and sat against the wall to let the poison run its course. I though to myself, why would there be a trap here? It was then clear to me that there must be something important in the next room. I crawled forward, my leg still throbbing from the poison and peaked around the corner of a large entryway. What greeted me what a figure of HUGE proportions, covered in spikes. He was muttering to himself, something about needing to meet the other leaders. I realized he must be talked about the other Giants I was meant to slay. I pulled my head back around the corner and waited a few more moments until my leg felt better. A short while later I took a few seconds to adjust my axe and I ran into the room intent on slaying my prey! I knew that something so big required me to kill it quickly if I wanted not to visit Naria. Even though she is nice company I did not want to see her this day. I saw that the Giant wasn't alone, he had his pet bears with him. I was sad that I would have to kill these bears considering I was so fond of my own, but the task came first. The bears charged ahead of their master intent on not letting me get to him. It was here that I saw the opportunity to end the fight quickly. I ran at the first bear and as it came into range I jumped onto it's back. I ran along its back to its spine and as it tried to buck me off I used that momentum to jump as high as I could and buried my axe in the Spiked Giant's head. The Giant hit the ground, it's life fleeing it's body, and I quickly retrieved my axe. I turned to slay the master's pets and made short work of them. I thought to myself that if the other Giants were as easy to kill as this one, why was it even a guild task. I learned shortly after that it was a huge mistake to make that judgement.

I made my way further north into the caves and much the same as the Spiked Giant, I killed the Ancient one. He offered up more of a fight, but only because he had a companion with him that kept throwing burning rocks at me. However the Ancient Giant was old and was no match for my axe. Once again the thought that crossed my mind was that this was going to be a cake walk, even the Troll Queen offered up a greater fight than the two Giants I had slain. I made my way past several more traps and doors and soon found myself in the Hill Giant part of the caves. Feeling brash and boastful, I walked directly into the Hill Giants chamber and annouced,
"I have been sent to slay you Hill Giant, prepare to meet your end!"
I felt a sharp pain in my gut and looked down to see an arrow longer than I was lodged in my stomach and coming out of my back. My visions narrowed and went black.

I awoke some time later feeling warm and happy. I opened my eyes and saw Naria, surrounded by her warm halo of light, smiling at me. I then realized that I had been killed. My arrogance over the ease of the task to be completed had been naive. I paid Naria her fee and made my way back to the caves, through the traps and doors. I once again stood before the Hill Giant's chambers. I knew this time I had to be careful, I charged into the cave and made my way straight to the Hill Giant Guard. It was his bow that had slain me the first time. As the others in the room got over their surprise at seeing me again, I noticed that while I was scoring many hits against the guard, he seemed to not take much damage from my axe. I felt creatures closing in from behind me and redoubled my attacks, trying so hard to kill the guard. I heard a swish noise behind me and felt something funny. I opened and closed my eyes realizing that somehow I was able to see my own body, and for some reason it was upside down. This was the last thought I had before darkness claimed me. I awoke once again to see Naria, who seemed very disappointed to see me again so soon. I again paid my price and went to the caves. As I sat in the corridor that lead to the Hill Giant I heard an otherworldly voice ask me,

"Is this how Barbarians spend their time?"
Not knowing what else to say I said, "Not usually no, we tend to stand victorious over our foes."
The voice came again, "If this is something that you cannot do alone, then why try it?"
I replied, "Because this is a task assigned to me by my guild, and I will do anything to complete it!"
I head chuckling then a reply, "It seems as if your heart has the will and the strength, I shall help your body match them!"

I felt strength coursing through me, my eyes felt sharper than they ever had and I felt invincible! It felt incredible, I know not what divine presence blessed me, but I felt that I could take on even the Gatekeeper! I ran into the room screaming and attacked the Hill Giants, after a long battle, I emerged victorious. However I realized that even blessed with these powers, I was still very capable of death as some arrows had hit me during the fights and I was bleeding quite heavily. I whispered into the corridor, "Thank you whoever you are, these powers will not be wasted." I made my way to the Fog Giant's cave and made short work of him and his compatriots and then made my way to the Mountain Giants liar. I ran into the chamber yelling my war cry and went to work with my axe. This foe didn't seem at all worried about me and sat in the back letting his minions attack me. I made short work of them, my axe a flurry in my hands. I charged the Mountain Giant swinging my axe, and suddenly my axe was stopped. He held the head on my axe in his enormous hand, a hideous grin on his face. This was an opponent worth the blessing given to me! I pulled my axe from his grip and swung again, this time causing a gash on his leg. He howled in pain, realizing that I was no normal opponent. He closed quickly swinging his fists at me trying to squash me flat, I dove away and rolled back to my feet at his back. I jumped as high as I could, my magically strengthened legs carrying me to his back and swung as hard as I could, my axe stuck in his back. I used the leverage from this and jumped even higher to his shoulder, driving my axe into his neck. Blood and gore sprayed from his neck all over my body, I stood on his shoulder triumphant! Suddenly his hand swung up to grab me, I noticed to late to jump out of the way. He grabbed me in his crushing hand and yelled, "If I go, YOU GO!" He threw me as hard as he could against the wall of the cavern, I knew immediately this wasn't something I could walk away from. As his huge body slammed into the ground and the cavern around me shook, I felt my own life slipping from me. I smiled as my wits left me, the Giant had died seconds before I had. I again awoke to Naria, but this time she looked pleased to see me. She seemed to know that my previous deaths had been avenged and that in this death, I had done something great. I smiled to her as I paid my toll.

I made my way back to the caves, I wanted a memento to commemorate this great victory. I made my way back to the Spiked Giants cave to grab some of the booze I had seen in his chamber. I saw sticking out of a pouch on the corpse a totem. This was the totem I was required to bring back to the guild! I quickly grabbed in and the booze. I sat down quickly and took a sip of the Cold Gnome Beer that I had taken from the Giants table. This is when I decided to write my tale.

Alioik puts his parchment into the bag, the blood on his face now dry. He smiles, takes another gulp of beer, and gets ready to return to the Barbarians Guild.
Alioik
Guild: Barbarians

Re: 5 times the ground trembled

Post by Alioik »

Alioik returned to the guild, he began to put the drinks taken from the Giant's cave around, within easy reach of his soon to be audience. Tashmaal and Kilrogg entered the common area of the guild and Alioik cleared his throat ready to recite his tale recorded earlier.

Suddenly there was a shaking underfoot, and the glasses in the room were spilling the looted beer and whiskey. There were guttural shouts and grunts from outside the guild. Hill Giants BURST into the guild and quickly began attacking the three Barbarians. They were completely taken by surprise, these forces were sent by the Hill Giant Captain in order to take the totem back, as well as revenge. Being caught unprepared and in some cases naked (Kilrogg) the Barbarians were quickly subdued and beaten senseless. The Hill Giants grabbed the totem and the Captain ordered them to retreat to their caves boasting of their victory.

Some time later all three of the Barbs were revived and vowed to take their own revenge. How dare these filthy Hill Giants desecrate the guild and take a treasure. It was decided that even though Kilrogg was naked, they would go hunt down these Giants and their Captain. They would then retrieve Alioik's totem. They set out immediately and made it to the caves very quickly. As soon as they entered the cave and went to the halls of the Spiked Giants, there were again set upon by Hill Giants. After killing the Spiked Giant and his lackeys they made there way to the realm of the Hill Giant. The Hill Giant Captain must have expected a quick reprisal because no sooner had the Barbarians entered the section of the cave, they again were attacked, this time with many Giants. Time and time again the Barbarians were knocked to the ground, but each time they got up refreshed and filled with a godly power. It was then that Alioik yelled down the tunnels, "No matter how many times we fall, we will never give up!" After several more waves of Hill Giants, they made it to the main chamber. They were attacked by many giants, too many to count it seemed. They were forced to retreat beaten and nearly dead. It was then decided that instead of wasting time fighting through the Captains hordes, that they should seek out the Captain. If you cut off the head of the snake, the body dies. Soon they found the Captain and as he taunted them, they attacked. The battle was hard fought but in the end, filled with the power of the ancients, the Barbarians were victorious and the totem was recovered. Tashmaal, Kilrogg (still naked) and Alioik made their way back to the guild and it was decided that the totem would be stored in the guild. It would be a memento from this victory as well as a reward to some young Barbarian who deserved it.

Alioik sat there in the guild glowing with the feeling of the day's victory. He was filled with the power of the ancestors as well as impressed with the power of his more experienced guild mates. He had lots of training to do before he could match up to his friends, but he looked forward to his future trails. For he knew that the Barbarian ancestors would honor those who honored them. Still feeling the strength from the hunt he set out to hunt more creatures. Today would be a good day to let those who deserved it to taste his axe...

Return to “Barbarians' Guild”