A Task

A forum for followers of War.
Graldo
Guild: Rogues

A Task

Post by Graldo »

Having traveled to the blacksmith with Marcin, it was time to talk things of WAR. The conversation was cordial and the questions thought provoking. There was an edge when the words evoked visions of battle, I couldn't help but smile when thoughts strayed to the vanquished, to the field of Victory.
"A quest for you Graldo, slay a Fog Giant through direct engagement, through shadowy assassination, and through a retreating tactic."

To sharpen my skills a bit, I decided to divert my journey to the Frost Giant village. Yes, the battle was quick and deadly, but reminded me that direct engagement was sometimes a charge, sometimes a wait to allow your foe to come to you on your ground and not theirs. The second battle was with the Spiked Giant and his minions. I felt this would be good since the best tactic is to eliminate the Spawn first, and not the main object of the battle. It proved successful, a redirection of sorts. The Pet Bears swarmed me, and this seemed like a good time to draw back for a short time and see if my foe would cower behind his minions, or come right at me. He didn't displease, he roared and attacked without his cover, and was quickly vanquished. The bears fled and I was not disposed to pursue, I had won the day, Glory to ZIR!

The third practice was stealth. I had heard rumors of Hill Giants in the Moor. One of my strengths is stealth, and these deserved special attention in this regard. Having traveled to the heart of the Moor, I determined that while I may not be able to dispatch one of these fabled giants in the first attack, I had better be prepared for a second. Lurk is the preferred method here and so I readied myself. Almost as if they had been warned, Hill Giant Warriors were patrolling the area. I thought to drop back and reconsider, but felt it would be better to reconnoiter. From the shadows I crept into their main camp and observed this apparent show of force was in truth what appeared to be a scouting camp. I made my way back to the perimeter and commenced the battle. Surprisingly the Hill Giants were susceptible to death from assassination. They were done in just a few moments.

To the Fog Giants!

My supplies were low so I decided to stop into Devardec and visit some merchants. In the plaza I met the Venerable Elwing, the Knight. We struck up a friendly conversation and soon enough she offered to accompany me to the Fog Giant village. As we entered the forest area a hapless Fog Giant wandered in and I instantly dispatched him from the shadows. Further up the trail toward the Cemetery, a Fog Giant Archer attempted to shoot from cover, I charged hard and fast and provided the archer with a reason to never shoot from cover at me again. A lesson he will remember for an eternity. While I had heard of a swarm nearby, I decided to avoid it for the time being, concentrating instead on an old abandoned hovel. Sure enough I was rewarded with first one then two then more of the bloodthirsty Giants. Since I was leading, I took the brunt of the attack and was quickly injured. An archer fell, then several youths and a warrior of sorts, but I was losing steam and found myself almost surrounded. At this point I decided o retreat through the lines and renew from the edge of battle. Elwing stood in the gap as I made my way back one stride at a time. As soon as we were shoulder to shoulder again we advanced as one and the remaining giants were felled like spring saplings.

We returned to Devardec where I was treated for my wounds, and discussed our foray into that foul forest. "One day we should return and take out that swarm"...we both agreed...for ZIR! For the LEGION!

Graldo

Return to “Temple of War (Zir)”