After

A forum for followers of Shadows, Thievery, the Night, and Nightmares.
Vespers

After

Post by Vespers »

It's as if he's still here.

Vespers stood in the quiet room with its paintings and its table and its map, hands pressed against the edge of the table and knuckles going white. She'd listened and kept away but that seemed beyond the point now. The map was unchanged. The stone was unchanged. The temple stood.

The ever-present imp watched her take a seat at the table. He, like those she had seen after the shouting and the changing seemed to be waiting for something. Some said she was in shock, mourning, or confused. The imp waited as it always did for orders, and her silence kept it by her. It watched as she pulled a piece of paper and a pencil from her pack, as she spread the paper out on the table and began to draw. As she did, the recent messages from Silk and the words spoken by Deori played over and over in her mind.

Minutes turned to hours and her pencil covered the paper with lines, curves, numbers and symbols. The picture took the form of an elf, though he was as much comprised of the symbols as the more usual lines. As the drawing grew in complexity her pencil marks grew darker and thicker until finally every speck of paper was covered in one shade or another.

Vespers looked over at the waiting imp and ran a hand through her hair. “It's as if he's still here.”

The imp looked at the drawing, then back up at the red-haired woman. “My Lady, what's next?”
Vespers

Re: After

Post by Vespers »

“She knows my will, and will not need to wait for my word to do what's needed.”

Her memory of the words was less than perfect, but the sentiment still lingered. She'd told someone not long ago that with Himself, it was always about trusting. Never had it been more obvious than now. The imp beside her was a quiet reassurance, and a goad. “All right then.... you made sure the details were covered. You sent me away and told me to stay out of the coming conflict, so chasing after Deori wielding a stick would just undo all of that caution now wouldn't it?”

The imp looked at her blinking before asking “Do you wish me to answer My Lady?”

“Ah no. I think I can work that much out myself.”

The imp didn't respond, so she began to pace the small room cluttered with all of her things. Her steps brought her to one of her locked trunks and she suddenly stopped, kneeling on the floor to undo the locks. Inside was a simple outfit, soft linen robes and a veil of beige and white, a single book, and a plain knife. She gave the imp a challenging smile. "Guess."

“You're going to dress up like a priest to try and fool Deori into letting you near Lord Silk, then get yourself horribly killed in an attempt to set him free.”

Vespers chuckled quietly. “Are all of your sarcastic, or are you special?”

The imp simply waited.

“If Himself had wanted a blunt answer, he'd have chosen himself a cudgel. He picked up a pen instead, so we'll do this my way.”

Return to “Temple of Shadows”