That which glitters

A forum for followers of Shadows, Thievery, the Night, and Nightmares.
Vespers

That which glitters

Post by Vespers »

Vespers sat on the stone floor with her skirts pooled around her, looking between the three doorways. The imp who was always with her now stood near the edge of the chamber wearing what she liked to imagine was a look of frustrated confusion. She gave it a small smile, then turned to look at the doorways again.

“Lady Vespers, you have been here for more than a day. I thought you required sleep.”

She chuckled without turning. “Oh, I do.... and I feel it keenly enough but this is important.” Her eyes flicked toward each doorway. There, the glimmer of gold, the solace of darkness, the lure of the puzzle. She felt rather than heard the creature sigh, and added “I've told you to ask questions. I've asked enough to more than balance it out and I want us to understand each-other.”

“Very well. What can be so important about sitting in the middle of a floor staring at nothing?” The imp took a step toward her as it spoke.

“Well, you're missing all of the thinking that's going on underneath.”

“And you need to be on the floor to do that?”

The red-haired woman turned to look the imp fully in the eyes. “See now? You can be blunt enough when you want to.” She turned back to the doorways.

After a few minutes of silence the imp spoke again. “You didn't answer the question, Lady.”

“No, I didn't.” Vespers smiled as she rose smoothly to her feet and stepped away into one of the doorways. The glimmer of gold reflected off of the lenses of her specs, and then she was gone. The imp quietly followed.
Vespers

Re: That which glitters

Post by Vespers »

“I need you to repeat that, word for word as Himself said it.”

The imp didn't remind her that its messages were always word perfect. Unlike the one who she kept with her, it hadn't grown into the habit of conversation. “Lord Silk said to keep away for now, and if Doug appears he's not to be engaged.”

Vespers listened to the words for the third time, then finally nodded. “I assume Himself gave you more to do than bring words to me.” The imp simply waited. “If you're to return to Himself, or work on another task then be about it. Otherwise join the others in keeping watch over this place.”

As the imp faded she found herself looking at the library tables and the other imp, still standing next to a stack of books. She glared at it for a moment, then opened up a sturdy bag and began putting books inside. “Lady Vespers, what are you doing?”

“Packing.”

“I can see that, but why?” The imp began helping, selecting the books she'd spent the most time with lately.

Vespers stopped and looked up. “You heard the words. It's time to be elsewhere. Come on. We'll put these somewhere safe.” She smiled with a look that didn't reach her eyes.

The imp picked up a second bag and added books and papers as it spoke. “You won't be happy sitting back and watching things happen, Lady.”

In response, the woman picked up her bag and headed for the door. “That's why we're going to be busy. Let's go steal something.”
Vespers

Re: That which glitters

Post by Vespers »

The old man looked up from his workbench at the first sound, a soft shifting of something. His eyes narrowed as a few more, faint sounds followed it, and finally a small red-haired woman dropped from the ceiling. He looked her over briefly, then made a soft “hmph” and returned to his work. The woman chuckled and hopped up onto the counter, swinging her legs around and disappearing behind it.

“This is the last pile.”

He heard her shuffling things around behind the counter but kept working as he asked “How long do you want me to keep them?”

Vespers’ head popped back up. “I’m not sure yet, but I’ll come collect it all when it’s time. Oh! And I almost forgot the other thing!” A bright grin flashed across her face as she set a jingling coin purse down on the table. “I had more practice today…. Not bad for a morning’s work.”

“Ha, work. Slipping through crowds lightening pockets and purses? You’ve known real work Vespers. That’s play.” His tone admonished her, but there was a twinkle in the old man’s eyes.

She smiled in return. “Hey now…. I make it easier for the good folk in the marketplaces to walk around. It’s hard to move when your pockets are heavy. Besides…. it’s a skill I never really worked on before, so I’m doing a public service And being scholarly all at the same time!” Her voice softened a bit. “And gods know you’ll find good use for the coin.”

At that, the old man smiled and set his tools down. “That I will. I have a few ideas already, and a few names locked away in my mind.” He stepped over to the counter and made the coins disappear just as Vespers vaulted back over it. “Off again? I thought you’d be staying for dinner.”

“Too much to do, but I’ll be back next week. Fair certain I’ll have the fruits of a few more lessons by then.” With that she stepped into a dark corner and vanished.

“She’s getting better at that…” the old man muttered, then moved behind the counter to look at the latest delivery. "What does a thief need with this many books anyway?"

Return to “Temple of Shadows”