Terror of Twelve - The beginning

A forum for followers of Shadows, Thievery, the Night, and Nightmares.
Aluzka
Guild: Rogues
Temple: Shadows

Terror of Twelve - The beginning

Post by Aluzka »

It had been some time since she had bothered the twelve families from Devardec. They may have forgotten she was around. She had been busy in other locations working on experiments that may prove to be very useful later on, especially in her Devardec tortures. She sat on the roof and looked down at one of the families as they wandered around the city. Mom was purchasing food supplies for the next week, the kids were running around playing with their dog trying not to get in trouble.

She watched every move they made. The dog was young, following the kids wherever they went, easy to maneuver as wanted. It would chase sticks, go after loud noises with a bark and run anywhere its name was called. Faldon. Interesting name. Was after their father, if she remembered right. How cute. This would make what she had planned even more fun.

That evening, at their home, the children let the dog outside to do its business as they did their chores of getting the trash out, cleaning up the yard and bringing the dog back inside. While they were busy cleaning up, the dog ran after a cat in the neighbor’s yard, running through the bushes between the houses. That made it difficult to see exactly where the dog was, especially if you are busy doing other things. Mom checked on the kids periodically while she was cleaning in the kitchen, most likely after dinner, but she never looked for the dog.

All these things she made a mental note of and pondered what she would do and when the best time was to do it. For two weeks she sat on the roof and watched the family and what they were doing. It wasn’t the same exact routine all day every day, however, the evening routine was exactly the same. The children let the dog outside to do its business as they did their chores of getting the trash out, cleaning up the yard and bringing the dog back inside. That was going to be her first torture.

One beautiful evening, the sky was a perfect mix of pink red and orange of the still desert evening as the sun set on the horizon, its rays dancing on the still water. The children came running out of the back door of the house into the yard. The little girl was picking up the toys and taking care of them. The older boy was taking the trash out after dinner and taking care of the bigger items in the yard. The dog ran through the bushes in search of the neighbor’s cat and do its business. The happy bark of the running dog, the meowing disgust of the cat as it ran away and up the stairs of its home and inside away from the dog all familiar things she had seen over and over.

The change came when the kids started calling for the dog. “Faldon. Come boy. Faldon.” They looked around listening for its bark and the sound of the dog’s paws on the hard packed sand. “Faldon! Come here boy! Time to go inside for your snack!” A third time, with a sound of panic in his voice, the boy cried out, “FALDON! FALDON! COME BOY!” He wasn’t allowed to leave the yard so standing at the edge of the bushes and calling was all he could do. The little girl turned tail and ran inside the house crying. “Mommy! Mommy! Faldon is missing! He’s not coming back!”

The mother came outside, “Where did he go?”

Pointing to the other side of the bushes, the boy said, “He went over to the neighbor’s yard. He usually chases the cat to the house and then comes back. He didn’t come back tonight.”

Both kids stood there crying as the mother went over to the neighbor’s house. She knocked on the door and the old man came to the door. “What do you want?”

“I’m sorry for troubling you. My kid’s dog has not come home and was last seen chasing your cat up to the house. Did he sneak into your home?”

“Dag nabbit, that darn dog didn’t come into my house. If it did, it would be dead on your step. I don’t like dogs. I’m allergic to dogs. I hope it never comes back. Now get out of here.”

She blinked her eyes not believing what she was hearing.but said “thank you” and turned around. “Faldon! Come here boy! Faldon!” Calling out for the dog as she walked down the street a little bit while looking at the ground watching the dogs paw prints in the sand. Then suddenly...they stopped.
Aluzka
Wraith of Dusk
Priestess of Night

Return to “Temple of Shadows”