A Chance Meeting

A forum for followers of Shadows, Thievery, the Night, and Nightmares.
Aluzka
Guild: Rogues
Temple: Shadows

A Chance Meeting

Post by Aluzka »

At the bar of the Lakeside Inn

A shabby cloaked figure sits silently in the shadows watching a drunken man harass other bar patrons. It watches with mild interest as the man trifles with a woman at the bar who clearly seems to him as one not to be trifled with. It watches the scene, the man staggering over to the woman, ”Hey!...HEY!...im tal kin to you!"

Silk hood over her head, nothing but her hand visible to those behind her, the woman looks to Kuran, ignoring everyone else as best she can, her eyes keeping watch carefully though on those that have gotten her attention.

The cloaked figure watches as the man says, "HEY...I want..HEY!, to want to have a drink baby!”

She fingers a dagger at her hip, slightly twitching with the man’s ramblings. With a nod to the bartender, she says, ”Glass of wine, Kuran. Calm my nerves a bit.” Wine glass in hand, she takes a sip trying to disregard the annoying man as best she can.

An interested smirk crosses his face as he watches the woman who does her best to ignore the clod.

Her nerves and patience wearing thin, she asks “Hey...Kuran? What is your policy about blood on your floor?”

The shadow watches, cringing slightly as the man yells, "BLUD!" and laughs. The bartender glares at the inebriated man, quite sure this woman means business, her asking just a courtesy of warning before the inevitable happens.

She keeps her eyes on her wine, free hand gripping the hilt of her dagger ready to pull it out in a moment’s notice.

The look on its face grows as it becomes slightly more interested while it watches the situation. Kuran calls the guy over and says, "Move along, the lady is not interested."

Being a usual drunken fool, he nods slowly to the barkeep, then starts yelling, "I know what wuhhymins want...dont tell..mewawasda..."

With a low growl, she puts her drink down while listening to the drunken stupor continue, thankful that the barkeeper is attempting to put out the trash.

Her gaze wavered briefly as she sees the person in shadows take advantage of an opening as the inebriated man continues, "they..I got....fwemm..." He staggers away mumbling "bathrom.”

The shadow listened while leaving the area as the bartender apologizes to the woman and offers her a free drink for her troubles, "Farik...won't stay away...I am sorry." Pulling out a quill and a small scroll from somewhere within its robes, the person writes a quick note, leaving it on the bar where it was, tosses a pebble at a glass on the far side of the bar and waits for the attention of those around the bar to shift to the shattered glass and what could have taken place. With the focus of those nearby deterred, the cloaked individual passes by silently, following the oaf that just left.

With a pondering pursing of her lips, she puts her dagger back into its place on her hip while she watches the two leave one after another, a low growl coming from deep within her throat barely audible. She takes the wine from Kuran and thanks him for his generosity, waiting for that fool to return, enjoying the quiet since he has left. Her head tilts as she watches Kuran swear over the shattered glass, wondering how it could have broken.

Biting her lip, she notices the note that was left, trying not to let her curiosity get the better of her and not pay too much attention to it.

The man Kuran called Farik mumbles and sees the note, "Hey...HEY...is this mine!" he yells at the bartender. He picked up the note and fumbles opening, Kuran comes over to help him with it. Farik pulls it back from him, "I DO..DonONt..NONT...READ,” then shoves it back at the bartender who reads the letter for him.

Turning her head slightly to watch the strange goings on between the two men, she sips at her wine, cognizant of a figure just beyond the doorway

A deep, semi-silent breath is taken as the shadow waits. The bartender staring at the note and looking around the bar truly shocked. Farik nods to him slowly, not wanting to fall over. He nudged Kuran who then leaned over and whispered something to Farik…"WHAT!" The bartender whispers it again, slightly slower.

Hearing what he needed to, the shadow walked up the stairs to wait. "A WYMAHM in ROOM 101!" He turns to the dangerous woman and winks before stumbling out, leaving the note with Kuran who was still shaking his head.

She put her drink down on the bar and spoke to Kuran, "Watch my drink please. I will....be back." Hearing a muffled yell from a room upstairs, her brow raises as this all catches her attention, curiosity making her decision for her, “Maybe not…” she says as she leaves the bar and heads for the stairs, slipping into the shadows as soon as she has the opportunity.
Aluzka
Wraith of Dusk
Priestess of Night
Aluzka
Guild: Rogues
Temple: Shadows

Re: A Chance Meeting

Post by Aluzka »

She stood in her office, in between papers she was working on and plans that were in the making, wondering what happened to the man she met in the Inn. She went back in her mind over the last time she saw this man and wondered just what to expect this time.

Bedroom in the Lakeside Inn

Using the shadows skillfully, she slips into the room unnoticed, moving towards a corner to stay out of the way

The strange man, now with blood on his well-worn robes, puts away his dagger, his left hand in the chest cavity of the oaf from the bar, the man somehow still alive. With his free hand, he pulls a quill from his pack beside him and starts sketching on some parchment an intricate drawing and writing notes. He squeezes the heart of the man with his left hand, the intricate drawing almost a copy of the real thing. He turns his head deliberately to the corner and blinks slowly, shaking off the feeling he had, not allowing it to stop either of his tasks. Attention fully on the man on the ground before him, he dips the quill in the man’s blood, continuing to draw some fine details previously neglected.

It was at this point she purposefully steps from the shadows while watching what is happening, sitting in the chair next to her.

For the first time, she heard him speak as he utters a detached "pity" as the man seizes up, the manipulation of the heart no longer working. He stares at his drawing, face askew with disappointment.

She asks, ”What...is it you were trying to do?”'

He looks back to the body peering closely at the organ he was focused on, only half acknowledging that someone else was even there, "I did not notice you come in." Turning to look back at who it was, he deliberately blinks slowly, "If you came to get an apology from him. I am sorry but you are too late."

A slight smirk on her lips, she responds, “I was actually wondering what you were planning on doing with him.”

Indifferently he says, “I was hoping to have more time, not that I expected him to last very long, a bit longer would have been most helpful.”

A slight bit irritated for repeating herself, she asks, “What was it you were trying to do with him?”

Seemingly lost in his research for a moment, he scribbles more notes under the extremely intricate drawing.

While watching his every move with intent interest, she pulls out a small dagger to play with, helping her pass time. Once more she asks, “What...is it you were trying to do?”

Acknowledging her presence, he turns slowly back towards her, ”My apologies...I must write down my results before I lose any of the details.”

She tilts her head slightly as she watches the intricacies of detail he takes with his notes and drawings. Softly, calmly she says, “Of course, I can completely understand. I've had the same thing happen with some of my own experiments. What, may I ask, was the purpose of this...research?”

For the first time, she was able to see his eyes as they brightened almost imperceptibly, "experiments you say..fascinating."

With a nod of her head, she tells him, “Yes...I have several different kinds of experiments going on at the time. I am needing certain things to continue them properly though.”

Briefly he stops and looks up for a moment, ”What is the purpose of any experiment...for any research," he blinks slowly as if trying to see the answer appear before him.

Nodding her head, she contemplates the question. “Depends on what your perspective is on the experiment. I've had some where I was working on creating death in different ways, some that dealt with causing pain and agony before death took them. Then others to help create life in things that some would say it wasn't meant for. What is your purpose at this experiment,” she asks while pointing at the body with the tip of her dagger.

In a strange way, he shows his teeth without any other expression, "Fascinating.” Slowly he nods his head, "I answer your question...with another question...what is death?"

Again, she considers the question before responding, this dialogue giving her some insight into the man before her. “I suppose that would depend on who you ask. A member of Death may say when their Lord takes the Soul from the body. Another may say it is when the body ceases signs of life, such as breathing and heartbeat. I know not much about a soul, the members of Death may have that as they wish. Death, to me, is when it is no longer a viable vessel to be used in some form or fashion. I've seen those that were supposedly dead return to life and parts have the opportunity to help create life once again. What do you consider Death?”

With the slightest nod and tilt of his head, he responds, “At its core... death is the absence of life...but that leads to the greater question...the reason for all my research. What….exactly is life?”

Enjoying the passion she hears in his voice, she nods, a slight smile starting at the corner of her mouth, “Which is….?”

Turning to face the body at his knees, he says, “Our unfortunate friend here was once alive. Was he still alive when I forced his heart to beat with my hand as I sketched this drawing,” he asked rhetorically while showing her the detailed drawing. “The body...is an intricate series of systems...parts working in unison. And this...does not just go for humans...all races and creatures...but the difference in their bodies between, alive and...newly dead...is imperceptible. And yet…”, he stops and pulls out a strange looking stick. After a few moments, she notices it is a wand that has the slightest bit of spark coming at the end when exposed. He pulls the heart out of the body and puts it on the desk, examining it again and comparing it to the drawing once more. She slightly tilts her head, watching what he is doing intently. Without a second thought, he begins to sketch the other side of the heart, seemingly forgetting he was in mid-sentence.

Realizing he got side-tracked, she asks, “Do you think parts, like the heart, could be mixed with parts of others to create life once again?”

With the sound of her voice, he looks up slowly. After hearing her question he replies, "my apologies...I get lost in my work often." He then finishes the sketch and repositions the heart on the bedstand.

Nodding her head, she says, “It's quite alright. I like to see someone so dedicated to their work.”

Not even considering what she just said, he replies, “That is..an interesting question,” slightly hesitating between words as if he is contemplating the question while answering it.

“Do you think it is one you would be interested in researching?”

He raises a brow and looks at her, “If it leads me closer to to my end goal I will.” With that, he held the wand of lightning and presses the end into the heart, causing it to spasm. His face moved, showing his teeth in what she could only assume was meant to be a smile. She watches the heart after what he's done and smirks, a slight shudder going up her spine with possibilities. Without hesitation he went back to scribbling some more notes, ‘lightning...or what makes up lightning..appears to at least share a component….Not...that I would say that the heart is now alive…” looks at the rest of the body, and seems to look for a specific point in the knee, and presses the wand for a reaction.

“What you have shown is it still has the possibility of getting the electrical charge needed to make it appear alive.”

He bares his teeth again as the body kicks, "it is...as close as I have come so far. But...there are more questions than answers.”

With a half-heard ‘hmm’’, she says, “There usually are, unfortunately.”

The specimens I find are...less than ideal.

This information intrigued her, “How so?

Nodding to the body at his side, he says, “This one was...not the picture of health. He was merely an easy opportunity to attempt furthering my research.

Also an annoyance you saved me from killing. I have business here in the Inn yet, don't want to be removed before it is concluded," she says while putting her dagger away and leaning forward.

He looks around, “Normally...I avoid such places…

She acknowledges what he said with a slight nod of her head, “You helped me get past a problem without causing further detriment to my business. Very good that you were here. Now, I have another question for you.

He bows slowly in her brief pause, “I am glad to have inadvertently been of a service.

Her lips twitch with a half-smile, “Would you be interested in assisting in some of my experimentation? It seems to me like we are working on the same types of things, at least quite similar. If you agreed, we could pool our collective energies to come up with some sort of answers, perhaps.

He blinks slowly and emotionlessly says, "Intriguing."

Barely acknowledging his single, soft-spoken word, she continues, “If you need to, take some time to think on it. Do you ever venture in the woods?

He nods slowly, "I tend to go where there is the greatest chance for solitude."

I'd say woods are included in that. If you ever need to speak to me, leave a message at the Stone Gargoyle in the woods. I will get it from there. Otherwise, you can ask for me here. I will be here for a time yet.

With a slow nod he whispers to himself, "stone gargoyle in the woods...."

She nods in his direction, “I'm Aluzka, so you know who to leave the message to. I hope to hear from you yet again." Standing, she looks down at the remains briefly and growls, “You are lucky he got to you first....he gave you a faster death than I would have."

Watching what she is doing, “A pleasure to meet you...perhaps you shall.” He shows his teeth again, "I wish he lasted longer...if the ones I followed here were not...so high profile..."

Aluzka stops at the door, "I will get you better quality bodies to work with, just need to know what you require. That is...if you choose to do so.

Opening the door, she says, "Please do," stepping into the shadows as she leaves the room.

He never stands from his bow. Instead, he stares at the body, sketching and taking more notes.
Aluzka
Wraith of Dusk
Priestess of Night

Return to “Temple of Shadows”