A visit, and a prayer

A forum for followers of Light.
Vespers

A visit, and a prayer

Post by Vespers »

In the still, calm waters of the reflecting pool, Vespers found the present.

She knelt on the ground between two benches and let her thoughts slowly settle, ignoring the curious glances of passers by. There, among the floating motes of light, the hanging lanterns and carefully maintained plants she stayed for many hours.

There is order here, like the order in Dominium I was so drawn to.

She looked above at the cathedral, the spires and wakways, and beyond to a sky made hazy by the area's glow.

There is order, and care, and a place for all who come.

Acolytes passed by, and healers, students, and those hungry citizens who found a good meal in the refactory.

There is harmony, and purpose. Order can't exist without those things.

As the sun set, and the sky dimmed, Vespers stood. She climbed the stairs with a trickle of others, and made her way to stand under the dome. The walls, ceiling, and floor were all works of art, but her eyes were on the shrine, the simplest and plainest part of the hall. Keeping her eyes there, Vespers made her way across the tiled floor. She pulled a candle from a pocket in her coat and used one of those burning on the shrine to light hers. With a small smile, she placed the candle among the others there, and set a small, folded note down beside it.

“Lady of Light

At noon, the world is bathed in sunlight, and if you stand outside and try to look within, the brightness around you is too strong, and all you can see is a vague, blue darkness.

At night, facing that same window but surrounded by the dark, the light within shows through, and you can see clearly.

I have stood in the darkness for a very long time, and have only begun to learn to turn my eyes toward the window, but what I see stirs something I do not understand.

I cannot ask for trust, or forgiveness. Those, a person earns through deed and time.
I cannot ask for shelter, for I would not bring those things which cling to me into your house.
I ask for help, to learn, to grow, and to understand that which I have long thought beyond me.

With respect, and hope, and no little confusion,

-Vespers

The candle and the note were all that was left of her a few moments later. Pale beneath her freckles, Vespers hurried away to find a piece of sky to watch.
natalia
Immortal of Light
Temple: Light

Re: A visit, and a prayer

Post by natalia »

Natalia slowly entered Caerwyn's office, she was settling into her new role but yet, she had a feeling what this particular meeting was about. As she entered she found Caerwyn standing peering out a window, watching over the lands.

"You wanted to see me?" Natalia spoke softly.

Caerwyn simply nodded at her, her gazed still fixed over the lands. "Vespers is reaching out, teetering, perhaps, on the edge between shadows and light." she added.

"How do we know this isn't some ruse, that we can trust her. She served Lord Silk for many of years with great Faith. It worries me greatly." she replied, rubbing her hands, still trying to adjust to her Dwarven form.

"She seeks help and we cannot turn her away" Caerwyn replied softly.

Natalia nodded slowly as Caerwyn continued, "Natalia, your task is to show Vespers the warmth of light".

Natalia knew that she needed to put her faith in Caerwyn, just as Vespers had Silk.

"I will go meet her now, M'Lady." she answered.

Return to “Temple of Light (Natalia)”