Musings on Pain

Information on the Path of Pain and its members
sliper
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Fate

Musings on Pain

Post by sliper »

He returned to Pain's wing of the Temple for the first time in some time.

During the war, he spent a lot of time here. Training in the arena, studying writings, admiring trophies from the clans of pain.

It was not all that long ago, but it seemed like a lifetime ago.

During that time, he learned a lot about the nature of the pain; it's essence, the many forms it takes. He had also learned more before and after the war.

He sat down at a table in the halls of the clans of pain and began to write. He did not know whom he wrote to, if anyone, but in this moment, he wanted to be sure it was written down. And so he wrote:

There is pain in everything; in the obvious, such as a wound caused in battle, or the loss of a loved one. But there is also pain in creating a wound in another, and in falling in love. There is pain in taking something away from others just as there is in having something taken away from us. There is pain in losing someone cherished as there is in losing part of ourselves to cherish another.

There is pain in nothing. Some would say this is the true pain-a void of one's self. I imagine there is some connection between this pain and the "soulless" of the Temple of Death. Perhaps more research is needed. [Some space is left after this section, perhaps to be expanded upon at a later date[.

There are many ways to deliver pain, and often here is where we discover overlap between pleasure and pain. To some, causing pain, often in a particular manner, brings them pleasure. How different is the pain brought about by a dagger to a vital organ, or an axe chopping off a limb, or a blast of gigawatt death electrocuting someone or something? If one feels different than another, perhaps it is the path of Pleasure in control, not pain.

Pain means different things to different people; my studies will not be complete until I know them all.

He signed the parchment "Yours in Fate, Sliper, Day 22 of Cherrin, 456", and tucked it away in the temple library.
Sliper, Charter Member

Return to “Path of Pain”