Character Limit

New ideas for the lands
Lamaenor
Guild: Enchanters

Character Limit

Post by Lamaenor »

Is there any thought to increasing the character limit in SAY, EMOTE, and perhaps character descriptions?

While not exactly game-breaking, it would be nice to be able to make longer sentences without the awkward pause in-between posts. Then there's the weird "Are they finished typing? Or is there more coming? Do I post now? Or are they finishing up? Was that ellipses intended, or does it indicate they reached the character limit and are working on the second part?"

I dunno, maybe it's just me. I think we can all safely agree that I'm on the long-winded side, haha.
radiance
Guild: Monks
Temple: Hopes and Dreams

Re: Character Limit

Post by radiance »

I agree, having a character limit is a pain. Not quite sure why that was ever a thing, but I don't know what's behind the coding.
Tashmaal
Guild: Barbarians

Post by Tashmaal »

Also agree and would love this.
Alyce Kiltspar
Heroine of Healing
Guild: Druids
Temple: Healing

Post by Alyce Kiltspar »

I agree to an extent. For things like say, tells, shouts, emotes, yes absolutely. For room descriptions, items, examines and such I disagree with. I like the limitations because it forces a person to be creative in their text.
Naria's Grace, Alyce Kiltspar, Heroine of Healing
Warden of House & Village Dominium
Proprietor of:
Granite Inn, Shadow's Cross Tavern & Inn and Ebb and Tide Tavern
Lamaenor
Guild: Enchanters

Post by Lamaenor »

I agree with you, Alyce. The limit forces us to get creative and I think there's something to be said for elegance in simplicity.

It would be a little daunting to see a paragraph text for an item description or something, and it would also make the older items/rooms with shorter descriptions not "fit in". And I would not wish it on anyone to have to rewrite the older rooms to fit in with the hypothetical newer rooms/items.

The limit may not have to be removed entirely, but it would be nice if it were increased. Says, Tells, Emotes. I'd also like to see the character description increased, to be able to include a more detailed description.
radiance

Post by radiance »

A lot of games (yes, I know, Terris is not a lot of games, blah blah) have unlimited characters for descriptions, says, tells, messages, rooms, items, emotes, etc. etc. It does not really make them less creative, and it certainly gives more leeway in describing items, etc.
Alyce Kiltspar
Heroine of Healing
Guild: Druids
Temple: Healing

Post by Alyce Kiltspar »

Those games in which you are referring to, are not very ascetically pleasing. I would rather have neat, easy to read rooms and descriptions, than massive lines of text where in some points it “breaks” the paragraph/description due to word wrapping. I’ve both played in and was a content person for one or two other MUDs and I’ve written a room or two for Terris and I can promise you it’s far superior in Terris the way it currently stands. Say, tells, shouts are different. I would rather be able to get as much info out, rather than breaking for each new sentence. However, there should also be a cap on those things as well, otherwise you could write something like this entire post I have written without stopping and causing a massive scroll back in the chat windows. Just my two cents.
Naria's Grace, Alyce Kiltspar, Heroine of Healing
Warden of House & Village Dominium
Proprietor of:
Granite Inn, Shadow's Cross Tavern & Inn and Ebb and Tide Tavern
Raislin
Immortal of Magic
Guild: Wizards
Temple: Magic

Post by Raislin »

The core of Terris was written 25 years ago when computer resources in all forms was a lot less. It's something being changed over time, but isn't a dedicated task. A lot of assumptions were made about line lengths that need to be checked to avoid crashes -- it's not as simple as increasing one value.

Content limits (descriptions, lengths for rooms, quests etc) were removed several years ago now though we still want tight descriptions and given most of the lands were written before the limit change, there aren't many locations using more at the moment.
radiance

Post by radiance »

I really disagree Alyce. I too have written content for games and have not even seen the issues you are describing. But that's neither here nor there.
sliper
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Fate

Post by sliper »

Tells should be lengthened, maybe shouts. The rooms are perfect as is. I like that Terris has rooms that are described distinctively and have a style that is widespread (though certain Baronies stick out like an eyesore).
Sliper, Charter Member

Return to “Game Suggestions”