New "race," "Professions"

New ideas for the lands
fearecia

New "race," "Professions"

Post by fearecia »

So, this is just kind of an idea dump meant to add increased rp elements to the game.

New "Race": Hybrid. (Supermunchkin, anyone?)

This isn't so much an actual new race as it is a way to mix up the current races. Put an option out there that allows you to pick "hybrid" as a race (for upgraded users only), which then allows you to pick two races to combine. I tend to play a lot of hybrid races (by either magic or birth, because it's fun!), so it'd be neat to have a way to have that more accurately reflected in the game. If you went with this option, my general suggestion would just be to average the stats, so that it's really not a huge benefit there (round half values up or down would be a decision that would have to be made). As for the skills or other bonuses that come with races, you could either A: pick a "dominant" race for your hybrid, in which case you get those skills and bonuses, or B: pick a few options from each creature, the number of options being limited by the average value of bonuses each creature gets.

For example: Catline-Sprite (rainbow unicorn fairy kitten anyone?)

Catline Bonuses:

Str -1 Mys 0
Acc +1 Spd 0
Dex +2 Con 0

Entangle Resistance 5
Missile Weapons
Dodging
Called Shot

Sprite Bonuses:

Str -3 Mys +1
Acc 0 Spd +1
Dex +1 Con -2

Base entangle resist 10
Spiritual karma

Hybrid results:

Str -2 Mys +1
Acc +1 Spd +1
Dex +1 Con -1

For race dominant scenario, if the sprite was dominant, you'd get the entangle resistance and the spiritual karma. If catline was dominant, you'd get entangle resistance, missile weapons, dodging, and called shot. Or, pick a skill would mean you'd get to pick 3 skill bonuses from the list (IE, Sprite entangle resistance, with Catline missile and called shot). The flying bonus that sprites get would be automatically conferred, because well, what's the point of being a hybrid with a flying race if you can't fly!?

This could also be implemented as a limited "race swapping" option, with the blended stats described above. You, as the character, could switch between you two "halves" as desired, being fully one or the other. In the case of centaurs and dkin, who have restrictions on things they can wear and ride, you'd have to put checks in so that transitioning wouldn't happen unless you were dismounted and had the appropriate armor removed, etc. So, basically, if someone was a human-dkin, they could roam the cities as their human selves, then go to battle as their dragon selves. I would think this option would be MUCH harder to implement code wise, so it's probably the lower recommended of the two, but it's still fun (in my mind, anyway.).

Professions:

What if, in the "character definition line" of an examine, there was an extra spot for "profession." And I'm using the term profession very loosely here. So, you could be a "human thief ____". Now, I imagine professions being a variety of quests being implemented that confer the title, and maybe a small bonus. The catch is that they are set up like the Onyx and Opal rings; you can't do them all. You have to pick. So, you could have a quest for becoming a werewolf, a vampire, a seraph, a pirate, a vampire-hunter, or anything else we think up. Some of these might be stackable (Seraph and Pirate, maybe?). Others clearly could NOT be stackable (can't be a vampire and a werewolf). LOTS of people play vampires, so wouldn't it be neat if there was a quest that made you a "dark-elf monk vampire." Bonus: faster hp regeneration and maybe +1 to strength. Downside: -10 fire resistance. Now, to be fair to the Theatre which has had a minor monopoly on this all these years, you'd have to restrict which races could do the quest (there's an rp element that any "animal" race can't become a vampire due to potential madness. A werewolf could confer on someone a limited shape-change ability so they could become a wolf. A vampire hunter could maybe get a moderate damage weapon with a permanent blessing on it? Maybe a pirate gets a bonus to swimming. And so on.

I'm trying to work within current game mechanics as I understand them to make these things easier to implement while hopefully not unbalancing the game. The main point of these ideas is really just to provide more recognized rp options that give people more easy recognition for their roles in game.

So, there are thoughts I had at 3am last night. Lol.
Alyce Kiltspar
Heroine of Healing
Guild: Druids
Temple: Healing

Re: New "race," "Professions"

Post by Alyce Kiltspar »

I think the most overlooked part of this post would be the alignment quests/reputation. I think there should be good/evil quests, where your alignment determines if you can do a quest line or not. The more evil you are, the less likely ordinary people <npcs> would be to interact with you.
Naria's Grace, Alyce Kiltspar, Heroine of Healing
Warden of House & Village Dominium
Proprietor of:
Granite Inn, Shadow's Cross Tavern & Inn and Ebb and Tide Tavern
sliper
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Fate

Post by sliper »

Always loved alignment in games. Though you could be good and do an evil quest, but it would affect your alignment. Alignment probably wouldn't be visible to others, but maybe there would be a spell to let you determine someone's alignment.

As for different races and hybrids, I like the idea. Would be especially cool if you had a certain number of points to allot to each stat (I believe as it stands some races lose on total number of points, like Lizard Man). Might be too easily gamebreaking though.
Sliper, Charter Member
Silk

Post by Silk »

A few things were merged together here.

1. Cross species: We have looked at this a bit, but at this time there is little value that we think would come from really doing this.
2. New species: We have looked at this a bit, and something might come down the line ("might")
3. Professions: These really are "classes". So if you are a "thief" that is your profession. We "might" add a new one down the line, but nothing massive.
4. Alignment/Factions: We have toyed with this a bit to greatly enhance the "outlaw" system. It wouldn't be exactly as you put in your post, but we are looking at something in this space.

Things like new professions or species while cool just wouldn't add to the value of the game right now with so much else that "needs" to be done. Down the line these things would be great; but other systems (including the Alignment/Factions) really are the higher priority right now. I will say that not adding these things to the game won't stop RP right now. Our time will be better spent at the core platform level by strengthening the base foundations of the game to bring us up to par with other successful games. We can do that with the Races/Species and Classes/Professions that we have now.

-Silk

Return to “Game Suggestions”