Unnecessarily kept quest items

New ideas for the lands
Kridin
Guild: Thieves

Unnecessarily kept quest items

Post by Kridin »

I imagine something like this has been discussed or suggested at some possible point in time, but I thought I'd bring it up again..

Would it ever be possible for items - especially those related to multiple quests - to give you a hint as to if you need them ever again?

I could see that it could possibly take some reworking of how the quest/item/character accesses whatever quest database, but I would think it would be possible considering the game checks for your completion of quests as you come across them in the lands. This would also not need to affect items with regular uses outside of quests, such as reaching hidden areas or crafting materials that aren't common. Though I imagine it is easier to implement a feature such as this affecting all items - the string could only be in reference to an actual quest where the item is needed.

Let's look at a Jeweled Diadem, for example. The standard item: (The color added at the bottom would be the notification string)

Item: Jeweled Diadem (Diadem)
This lovely diadem is surely fit
for a goddess.
This item is a Treasure
Offense modifier None Defense Modifier None
Fire Resist Mod None Cold Resist Mod None
Electric Res Mod None Poison Res Mod None
Entangle Res Mod None
Armor Class Modifier None
Somewhere in Terris, you feel this item is needed...

OR

If the item is related to some obscure or unknown crafting, or some hidden access to a feature or area - so as not to have things destroyed that cannot be regained.. You could also add a flag that would let the user know

This item may have some hidden use.

It would benefit the dreaded (Even with higher caps) locker and backpack dilemma of running out of space. It would just give a simple notification that you should hang onto the item, versus letting it sit for years. There are many chain quests that are multiple completions, but the end quest can only be done once. Perhaps there's a use for the items ten more times that no one has figured out. Maybe it's just an oversight of how the quest system has changed over the years.

Also, I know as quests are added or changed - this could still lead to some people having already destroyed an item that may be reused. I don't see that as any different now, and it would simply need to go through the process of getting an Immortal quest for the item to be regained. I've heard negativity in regards to sending items through messages on occasions from a member of staff - This would eliminate the need to try to create characters simply to hold your excess quest junk, for those who do focus on questing.
sliper
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Fate

Re: Unnecessarily kept quest items

Post by sliper »

I would definitely be in favor of this.

I have several items that I believe may be useless - a lot of quests changed while I was gone from the game, which i believe made it possible for me to get a second one.
Sliper, Charter Member
Raislin
Immortal of Magic
Guild: Wizards
Temple: Magic

Post by Raislin »

Can look in to something like this. What if it was as a result of Appraise rather than always visible?
anerausa

Post by anerausa »

I'd like that it would give a good reason to learn the "lord" skill
Runescribe Anera
Erilaz of Dragons
Kridin
Guild: Thieves

Post by Kridin »

Not sure on the appraise command, as honestly I've never felt the need to use the command. Since selling prices are static (to my knowledge) based on your barter level, I've never really felt the need to appraise much of anything. It would be different if shops bought or sold with fluctuating values, dependent on location and amount of said items sold there.

That said, if you feel it can give some usefulness to the appraise command then by all means. I'm open to the idea being implemented in any fashion - as long as it works on all items and is accessible to everyone, at least at some point.

Even if the character required a higher level of the lore skill or spell, such as supreme or higher, for the appraisal to work correctly.

As Anera mentioned, it also would be a useful idea behind learning the lore skill to more than basic levels.

Return to “Game Suggestions”