More to Pick Pocket / Stealing

New ideas for the lands
Kridin
Guild: Thieves

More to Pick Pocket / Stealing

Post by Kridin »

With the recent update to the pick pocket abilities being refreshing, it still seems like a completely cosmetic and (honestly) fairly useless skill to invest builds points in as a younger player who may struggle to find the extra points laying around. At higher levels - there seems to be no benefit from what tiny amount of gold may be received on the very limited success that you achieve. Clearly, we do not know what all was added in the update for the ability - or what plans may be for it in the future. Just going off of what we can currently see.

Just some suggestions after having discussions with another Thief - and some of my own ideas that would make it at least more enjoyable to toy around with the skill itself, and make it more useful in terms of roleplay.

The success rate does seem a little low, at least for getting mundane items with no real purpose. I understand not wanting the skill to become a method of gold farming by easily obtaining items that can be sold for worthwhile amounts. It would be interesting to see the skill some how tied into whatever new crafting system may be coming in the future updates - if they are to be cross guild required for crafting. Perhaps items that can only be obtained by theft.

Another thought is the inclusion of more "cosmetic" items, like some of the ones added in this update. I have successfully taken a "Stolen Ruby and Pearl Earring" from an NPC. More of these type of cosmetic and dress items would be very nice to see. Perhaps charms, bracelets, necklaces and even the addition of a new ring or two. (Such as the stolen ruby ring in the starting dungeon.) - Not even sure if it'd be possible with the item system in place, but perhaps a "randomized" naming system for them, so that everyone doesn't have the same handful of Earrings, or the same two necklaces. It could offer a small boost to an "economy" that could be created for younger thieves, rogues and assassins.

Also as part of this..perhaps created within the tri-guild area of these three guilds..a "Fence" shop, that will remove the "Stolen" string from the item name, thus making it more desirable for anyone willing to purchase it to wear. - For example, a Knight might not like walking around with a "Stolen Sapphire Charm" on their wrist, but would be willing to purchase a "Sapphire Charm." Again, not sure how much work this would require or if it'd even be possible. It's just an idea to bring some merit to the skill.

(Also, as a side note.. Is there ever any plans for an "Ear" slot? I'd much rather wear the Earrings there, than as head armor. Just curious.)

Finally, and maybe the biggest suggestion and most work required to put into implementation..
The ability to steal, once again only more cosmetic items, from certain types of shop keepers. This could also play off of a possible random naming system for cosmetics. Perhaps the merchants that sell cloaks and various items of dress can be targetted to "steal." This would, with a rather low success rate, generate an item such as a "Smooth Silken Scarf" or "Fine Laced Leggings." Purely cosmetic items with no stat modifiers, but something someone may find interesting and worth a little bit of gold to the Thief for acquiring it. This could also easily tie in to the Fence shop, by applying and removing the Stolen as well. - The rate here would have to be very low, and the thought of making it flag you as an Outlaw if caught could be applied. Though, I think there should be a differential between "failing" and "being caught" in this instance as well. You might fail to get the item, but you were not caught in the act of trying to get the item.

I know something like this would take time to put in, if some of it is even possible - such as the random item naming to keep items less mundane, and the ability to "fence" the item, thus restringing it without the "Stolen" tag. I'm also aware current and future already planned upgrades for content and skills would come before this, as it is again more of a cosmetic application.
Silk

Re: More to Pick Pocket / Stealing

Post by Silk »

A few notes on this.

1. Yes, we are planning more items that can be stolen that would be "cosmetic"...rings, bracelets, earrings, necklaces, wallets, etc...
2. We are tinkering with the success rates to see what works best.
3. Some items will only be obtained by stealing them...we can look at tying that into a recipe or two I'm sure.
4. Someone else mentioned a "fencing" shop to us, so that is something that we will look at in the future to come up with the best possible solution.
5. We have plans for extra "slots"...more on that from the Operations/Code team at a later date though.
6. I have been asking to steal from shops for a long time, my hope is to one day see that come to fruition.
sliper
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Fate

Re: More to Pick Pocket / Stealing

Post by sliper »

Stealing from shops should be a high risk/high reward scenario.

If caught, can't buy from that shop for a year, maybe longer. Or outlaw status in that city for a prolonged period surviving death.
Sliper, Charter Member

Return to “Game Suggestions”