Terris is Dead

New ideas for the lands
Dagda
Guild: Druids
Temple: Peace and Nature

Re: Terris is Dead

Post by Dagda »

just a reminder the clocks in the UK go forward one hour tonight, so any events scheduled for 8:00pm GMT will take place at 9PM BST.
alcestis

Post by alcestis »

Dagda wrote:I look forward to you being surprised, and hopefully somewhat less cynical then once *everything* thats planned happens, however things are not always as they seem and one rp often leads into another for the sake of good story line, so I apreciate it may seem at times rp lead to nothing when you don't understand the inter-links...and to divulge those would be largely counter productive :)
It all depends on how often your new hero will be biting his thumb, I guess...

By the way, thanks for trying to be patronizing, but history points to too many godawful Terris storylines inevitably leading to nothing, and I suspect nothing has been learned from history.
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

who says anything about a new hero?

I really don't blame you for being hopelessly cynical, no doubt in the week ahead you will be on here saying I told you so it was all for nothing......

Open your eyes, things are on the move, but ....no spoilers unless silk cares to give them :)
Silk

Post by Silk »

I have no spoilers other than that we work on what either myself or Raislin has already posted in the past on this or other threads.

The harsh truth is this....13 years ago we had over a hundred people on at a time and there were no updates. The last couple of years we have been doing as many updates as we can in what we try to consider a "safe" way. This may seem like slow to some people, but as someone that has been staff through a decade of absolutely no engine updates I would say that we are trending in the right direction. The game will not stay static forever. It needs to grow and adapt to the world just as all other games have to. The only difference is that we are a few years behind other games in that adapting cycle...so now we try to catch up.

Crafting: Some might like it and some might not. Simple fact is that we could not continue and hope to advertise with the simple "mix" system we had.
Guilds: These were designed for hundreds of players at a time, we aren't there so we need changes to make these work.
Content: We have a backlog of bad areas we need to redo and new areas we need to put in, this is a tough thing to do.
Roleplay: Not everyone agrees with all choices that are made, but those people CAN choose to either ignore it or show up and put it down whenever possible. I ask everyone to think about which of those is really hurting a roleplay from growing.
Bounties/Logic: The quest system while great in concept can be grown to be more.

I'd like to promise everyone that we are working for them to be happy. But the simple matter is we are working to make the game better and some may like it and some may not. While we like to think about the players we have we also need to think about the players we want to be able to one day capture.

Lastly...no Hero was coming from the end of the Chaos Storms (as has now been seen). Not all RPs come with a new Hero or Legend appearing. Sometimes we have one show up to jump-start a roleplay (see Bikon or Galos or Locien) but that does not mean that they are new staff or permanent characters.
invisustyka

Post by invisustyka »

So, not to bump any sort of drama again... but as an ex-player who has had people ask me to come back, I would like to comment on some things that keep me from rejoining, and I imagine they may keep others.

1. Webclient is Java based. Java is old and outdated and often unsupported. You need to be able to download the Java software to utilize the webclient, which is restrictive in some environments. Java is often considered unsafe. If there is a way to change to update the webclient to be more accessible, that might be helpful in inviting more players. This may be on a to-do list.

2. Premium subscription cost is high. I understand that there is a cost associated with running a game. I understand that the staff is unpaid and that money goes towards running the server and keeping it active (I suspect anyway). However, you're asking people to pay the same monthly subscription cost as a game such as World of Warcraft. Yes, I can play for free with extreme limitations, so why bother? I don't mind paying subscriptions, but I don't think the cost asked is reasonable for the type of game and the player base.

It has been mentioned that other games also charge a subscription to play, but I'm not sure Gemstone still charges for base game, and only charges for Premium subscription, which includes things like housing and special member only events. I say this because I looked into it to compare and even made an account and was not asked at all for credit card or billing information.

i haven't been in game in years, so I can't comment so much on that. I just wanted to give my two cents (if it is even worth that much) to things that might be hindering a growth in player base.
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

I agree on the webclient, from my point of view its for trying the game without downloading the wizard, if you are playing long term, download the wizard.

I think no matter what is charged it will always be too much for someone unless premium is free.

perhaps you might like to try the game again and see the progress and improvements happening and make some further comments based on how things are now rather than how they were years ago?...
invisustyka

Post by invisustyka »

Well, I planned to check it out, but the same reason I can't get the webclient to work is the same reason I can't use the wizard. When I have an opportunity to check out the game, I'm in an environment that does not allow me to download and install things. So, no Java and certainly no wizard. :) Oh well!
Silk

Post by Silk »

Tyka,

Webclient: Yes we need to run off of HTML and not Java. Raislin is working on something that will work.

Subscriptions: I have looked at Gemstone and Dragonrealms and there appears to be a trial period and then it becomes $14.95 per month (with additional premium, platinum, etc... available). Now I'm not saying that we will not make a change here, but the owners (not the ingame staff) will need to make that decision. With that said...
- We have a large freeplay option available
- We can look at certain "pay only" attributes and if a case can be made for it then Code can provide it to Ops (send these to Code@legendsofterris.com)
Kridin
Guild: Thieves

Post by Kridin »

On the topic of the subscriptions. Why not have an "Account" subscription and a single "Character" subscription. Sort of a blend of what is offered by Terris and Cosrin currently. Those who wish to be active on more than one character can continue with the current account subscriptions. It may take a little altering of how Terris stores character files, but perhaps it wouldn't be something too drastic to seem profitable.

Those of us with multiple characters currently playing are likely to remain on the account subscription plan. You might be able to lure some older players, and newer ones, back to the game with a cheaper option. If you charged $2.50 per single character, it could allow those older players to come back and try things out on the characters they already have built from long ago. (Also making it easier to regain access to some of these lost characters may help, for the ones that still exist in the databases.)

They could experience the changes that have been done, as well as connect with the current player base. This can give them a fuller option than the trial period to see what may interest them into staying. They could then convert the single subscription into account subscription if they desired to explore with a new character and felt it was reasonable for the asked price. Or they could simply continue with single characters as they see fit.

If the characters are still there to be played, I imagine at least a few would be willing to return if they didn't have to pay the entire $15 monthly for things they will never use. (Namely, multiple character slots.) I'd personally be willing to pay for an individual character if the option was there and I had one that I wanted to reconnect with.

Return to “Game Suggestions”