Terris is Dead

New ideas for the lands
axis
Guild: Battlemages
Temple: Temple of Love

Terris is Dead

Post by axis »

Ok so the title is a bit of click bait and its not really dead, but I have been back and active in lands for 6 months now and I am devastated by how few players play Terris compared to other MUDs out there. Other MUDs are still commanding 100+ players online at a time and I keep asking myself, “why is Terris not up there with the top few?”. With recent GM elections now past one of the clear aims for most guilds seems to be “Getting more players active in the guild” which is an almost impossible task based current numbers. Do others feel the same or is this just me?

I will add here that I appreciate OGC offers Terris as a managed service which effectively means, I am only going to get what they are prepared to give me and I can only suggest things and they might be considered which is pretty standard. - Note I am using the terms OGC and “they” as it is all a bit cloak and dagger as to who “they” actually is.

So, with the sole purpose of getting to the 100+ active players (a sensible target I think) in a reasonable time frame can I make the following suggestions:

1) Deliver changes at pace - This is a huge bottleneck. No disrespect to current developers but not enough is being changed at a fast enough pace. 11 Changes per month (some so small I am shocked they get called changes) is not acceptable if you are truly driving towards a larger player base. Let go of the past and recruit more developers. Advertise and interview. Put them on a probation period and allow them to code in a test environment so you are confident they are good to go. Coordinate the changes across multiple developers, divulge accountabilities of the development so that you do not have a bottleneck. If you work in a technical development type industry I am confident you would feel this is standard practice now.
2) Advertise – Please communicate what the plans are here. At what point does the content need to be so that advertising can take place? In my opinion, there is an awful lot needed to be done to be there so what are the time frames? With 11 changes per month it could be 10 years right?

I really want this post to provide an opportunity for communication. In previous posts recently, some plans were expressed which was great but I still felt worried that they were not going to tackle the issue's in a timely way. This is an opportunity to respond about this subject.

Finally, to be clear, this is not a whinge or a moan and I wanted to make it positive so, can I (and potentially others) offer our services to help? You have some talented, passionate and responsible people playing this game why not dish out some of the work? Do it formally if needed, NDA's, Contracts or what ever you need to feel protected. Personally, I carry some skills from my job that I could really use to get involved and help develop and implement some clear plans with no changes to my in game play (i.e. its free). You have an untapped resource pool that with some direction could really add some value for you, why not use it?

Kind regards,

Axis
alcestis

Re: Terris is Dead

Post by alcestis »

Aaaaand...completely ignored! Don't bother trying to be civil or constructive - history has shown that's a total waste of time.
Dagda
Guild: Druids
Temple: Peace and Nature

Post by Dagda »

I've spoken at length to Axis previous to this post, he knows this, he knows why things are as they are, he knows what the situation is, within the limits of what as staff I'm allowed to divulge to a mortal, the post is somewhat redundant.

Btw work might be something of a misnomer....I can't speak for anyone else on staff but I'm unaware that anyone actually gets paid for what we do,certainly I don't :P So perhaps you might care to view it in that context, we have jobs and families, relationships, lives and do this as volunteers..

I'm very happy to address what I can here, but you should by now at least be aware something or other is going on within the land :D
alcestis

Post by alcestis »

It's nice that you can give a civil (albeit passive-aggressive and patronizing) reply, but I've seen all sides of Terris, I've been a volunteer, and I know the deal. If you're doing anything other than the usual shop-worn "roleplay" that offers nothing new to players, and does nothing to encourage genuine involvement or increase the population, I'll be astounded, but life is full of surprises.
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

I look forward to you being surprised, and hopefully somewhat less cynical then once *everything* thats planned happens, however things are not always as they seem and one rp often leads into another for the sake of good story line, so I apreciate it may seem at times rp lead to nothing when you don't understand the inter-links...and to divulge those would be largely counter productive :)
adonojah
Guild: Monks

Post by adonojah »

After seeing this post last month, I thought of two things:

1) Allow players to somehow contact old Terris friends.
This game suggestion may cover number 1: IC Message To OOC Email Notification. I played with a few people that I'd love to get in contact with again, but I don't have/no longer have their OOC info, and I haven't noticed them on the Terris Facebook groups.

2) Advertising.
As for advertising, I have no great idea. MUDs are a pretty niche thing, so I thought, "If somebody were looking for a MUD and didn't have a specific game in mind, what would they do?" Well, when I want to know if there's a new DC animated movie out, I go to Wikipedia and view the List of films based on DC Comics page. After this thought, I edited the Wikipedia pages List of MUDs, Template:MUDs and Terris, and I created the Wikipedia page Legends of Terris. They are a little sparse and some info is possibly inaccurate, so I invite anybody who is willing and able to contribute to do so. FYI, I think there was previously a Legends of Terris Wikipedia page that was deleted due to being a little fanboy-ish, so keep that in mind. To see what type of info would be good to add to Legends of Terris, take a look at the info provided on the other MUD pages. A list of MUDs can be found at List of MUDs.
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

Thank you for your thoughts a couple of comments.

1) I imagine we would have to run some sort of mail client and server gameside in order not to give away email addresses that are private and people may not want exposed and there would be a cost involved...., there would be no way to stop someone deliberately spamming an address, if this was turned on by default, and lastly alas many of the old addresses are no longer active anyway.

2) Bear with us :) I will say, from my own purely personal view and NOT any sort of staff official view it may be a case that the product needs to be better than it is right at this moment before it's justifiable to spend effort on advertising...
Silk

Post by Silk »

If you email me "Silk@legendsofterris.com" with the people you would like to interact with then I can look at the characters and see if we can trigger the messages to email for them.

There are some things we want to do before advertising, (crafting, guild changes, etc...) so that we don't change it all after they are here.
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

what silk said about advertising, I wasn't prepared to say that out loud in public :P
jaimie lachlan
Guild: Thieves
Temple: H/Priest of Nature

Post by jaimie lachlan »

Hmmm....We may be "mere mortals", but that doesn't mean we can't be informed. Sheesh.

Thanks Silk :D

Silly Ol' Bear.... :P
The Pirate King
Jaimie Lachlan
Captain of the first rate ship, "The Grimwave"
HIgh Priest of Nature, Duke of Thunder

Return to “Game Suggestions”