Roleplay Blurb

New ideas for the lands
Aeth
Guild: Battlemages
Temple: Dreams

Roleplay Blurb

Post by Aeth »

Dear OGC,

I was just having an idle conversation with a few people in game and this actually seems like an amazing idea. If some how, whether is be on the front page or a new link that you could put, there should be a way to have a shortcut to the current up to date RP in the game.

Honestly, I had to leave for a month of so for otherworldly obligations and it made me just finally realize how important this is. I spent close to 3 hours scouring the boards (of course I was still in game and semi-multitasking) to figure out if anything was relevant to the RP's that was desiring.

I know you might think that this is difficult to implement, but I really don't. I want there to be a localized area where you can see the current RP's going on. I hate to say this, but what is trending. Trending in the game and what is going on. There is so much to read right now with the way we play games and the way we live our lives. I'd like it to be something similar to this:

Barbarian's Killing Certain Dragon (Link to that RP)
Warlocks Are Summoning New Devils (Link to RP)
Undead Lich is Destroying Battlemage's(Link to RP)

I don't think this is unreasonable and people will be frustrated their RP isn't displayed, but I do think that highlighting WHAT IS GOING ON IN TERRIS is extremely important. Because we can all agree on the fact that this game SHOULD BE RP based. The rest of it is great and I love what you have been doing from a mechanics perspective. But, this is the other side of it that meant so much to all of us and still does. If I didn't explain all of this properly or you disagree PLEASE give your opinion. I would personally LOVE to hear about the ins and outs of the game in a concise manner.

Thank you,
Aetheron.
jaimie lachlan
Guild: Thieves
Temple: H/Priest of Nature

Re: Roleplay Blurb

Post by jaimie lachlan »

NICE!

I think this is a great idea! Because like Aeth says. Sometimes we don't log in for a while due to life - come back and it's all so different. It would be great to know exactly where to go to catch up post haste, than spending all afternoon scouring board posts. Then you CAN scour them later at liesure once the current RP's are read.

Jaimie Lachlan
The Pirate King
Jaimie Lachlan
Captain of the first rate ship, "The Grimwave"
HIgh Priest of Nature, Duke of Thunder

sliper
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Fate

Post by sliper »

Agree with this entirely. Whenever an event happens, most people aren't here to see it.

I think it's important to have some information posted on the board to let people know and entice them to come into the realm and find out more. There have been major storm events with nary a word.

I do get that it is fun to ask people what happened and get their character's take on it, and I would never want to jeopardize that - but there is a way to preserve that while also letting people know something is going on.
Sliper, Charter Member
jaimie lachlan

Post by jaimie lachlan »

Exactly Sliper!!

And this way you WOULD want to find others in the realm to ask them whats goin on. I think it's a great way to promote others to interract and get involved in the current RP.
The Pirate King
Jaimie Lachlan
Captain of the first rate ship, "The Grimwave"
HIgh Priest of Nature, Duke of Thunder

sherrie
Guild: Wizards

Post by sherrie »

I would generally support the idea, as there are some ways that some people could perhaps use to make it a little easier to see what is going on.

That being said, there are ways of keeping up to date, even if you are returning after a spell. There are a range of RPs going on, some of which seem to be more staff-led or with their support, but I'm sure I've come across posts relating to other storylines that are primarily player-led. I tend to keep up-to-date on things by regularly checking the unread posts (option on the top left of the boards menu). That can be a really good starting point. I also read the posts of people who Sherrie might not have any direct engagement with, just to ensure I keep a sense of what is going on in the realms generally in case it does impact on what is going on with her. If you're not around when things happen (I rarely am due to time zones), then it is the first resource I use. Second is finding out from others if people are talking about it.

Whilst some people are wary of the boards, I personally see them as a crucial way to keep up to date with what is going on. They also serve as a useful 'filler' for elements of storylines that you don't have time for or do not serve any useful purpose of taking in-game RP to act out - if that makes sense. For that reason, I would personally recommend reading posts as and when they go up there, rather than ignoring posts by characters that you 'think' will have no bearing on your own character(s) general role-play.

As an aside, one of the most common difficulties, I've found at least, is how people RP a response in an RP way to events and developments. Just because an account is posted on the boards, does that mean your character is going to have first-hand knowledge of it? Were they there? How does it impact them? Does it impact them at all? Does your character's role-play mean that they would be interested in whatever is going on with someone else or somewhere else? Even if you have read something on the boards, that is from an OOC perspective - would your character even be aware of it in-game? If they would be, think carefully about how that would be so. Sorry to come across as patronising or saying things that people already know, but I have seen this to be a problem. Responding reasonably and appropriately to other people's role-plays is part of RP itself and it can be frustrating when that is cut short.

Just a few pennies worth....

Sher's OOC
sliper
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Fate

Post by sliper »

Of course, the blurbs could be written from an IC perspective. You could have an account of today's events from some poor shopkeep in Catfish, as well as perhaps an op-ed from Sliper in the Goldcroft Gazette. <g> There's different angles to work.
Sliper, Charter Member
Alyce Kiltspar
Heroine of Healing
Guild: Druids
Temple: Healing

Post by Alyce Kiltspar »

I would like to see an in game news. The staff or Baron/helper can update it. You can go to a specific area in game and get the news from a town crier. It would be like a message of the day, but this would be a weekly update with what's going on in your town or city. You would have to go to the different towns to get their news and of course it could have rumors and chatter about other towns. This makes far more sense to me. It could be implemented like a Tnotices or a Gnotices.
Naria's Grace, Alyce Kiltspar, Heroine of Healing
Warden of House & Village Dominium
Proprietor of:
Granite Inn, Shadow's Cross Tavern & Inn and Ebb and Tide Tavern
marcin
Guild: Warriors
Temple: Temple of War

Post by marcin »

This is a great idea and would create an extremely valuable tool. So many platforms (message boards, wiki, facebook) exist to update the players/followers, but it's easy to lose track and find gaps in story lines or RPs.

I would also add a thought that if there was a "rpnotices" type command/page in-game as Alyce suggests; that it could be edited by GMs, TLs, or staff. Perhaps this would allow the responsibility (we all get busy IRL) to float around as needed. I would expand the suggestion to the following:

rpnotices - Overall 30 to 40 lines of RPs; each line is individually linked.
rpnotices1 - This would be a page filter for the RP listed on line 1
rpnotices5 - This would be a page filer for the RP listed on line 5

Perhaps there's only 5 or maybe there's 10 RPs going on; but people could expand a read a bit more. The additional lines added on the "secondary" page; could be dated for entries. So you can see the evolvement of the diary entry. (This could also link directly to the Terris WIKI to help merge story updates; instead of in-game diary entries (may be a better solution))

Just some thoughts for the discussion. Great idea Aetheron.
::salute::
WARLORD GM Marcin, Blade of Zir!

"Only the Dead see the end of War!"
jaimie lachlan

Post by jaimie lachlan »

WOW Marcin!

I like how ye think!

I second the Warlords idea!
The Pirate King