A second loot table

New ideas for the lands
Jericho
Guild: Thieves

A second loot table

Post by Jericho »

(For the sake of this post, I use the word ‘Thief’ to include all three guilds, and those few others who use pick pockets).

Good day!
Recently I’ve been working with a few guildmates to try and put our pickpocket skills to use visiting different creatures around the realms. As acquisitions of all forms is an important part of our guild’s culture, it’s a good practice. Imagine a guild hunt, but more with an eye to steal things from challenging beasts rather than killing. These outings have led to a few conversations revolving around ways to make pickpockets more viable, and I promised that I would open it up for broader discussion here.

An idea that we had talked about is to have a separate loot table with the items picked by thieves or expand on this more broadly. Doing so could be a tool to help with character customization by bringing in more personal effects for players, create opportunities for inter-guild conversations a separate loot table can change some of the dynamics between players by creating new reasons for interactions with thieving characters.

Currently, aside from the low chance of successfully taking an item, monsters frequently don’t have an item to steal, and usually it isn’t the item that you have in mind. If it's a king or a swarm, you can be there for a very long time before realizing that there isn't anything worth dropping. I believe that keeping this level of challenge in place is fine if there are meaningful rewards occasionally to make it worth the effort.

1. This could generate a lot of interest for people to work together.
a. Faster and more deadly beasts would be impossible for a thief to solo as people try and discover where in the world new items might be. A thief would have to seek out someone who can stun, take a few hits or otherwise incapacitate the monster.
b. We would have an opportunity to revisit monsters long since forgotten for what rare items might drop off of them.
2. A separate loot table would be particularly interesting as a means to obtain items for Druids, or people who aren’t disposed toward killing. The scenarios written into any quests could flatly spell out a heist-type scenario whereupon justification for finding a Thief can vary wildly.
a. This vein of thought could encourage Druids to quest with Thieves: Imagine a bounty where they'd have to convince a rogue to help them to take a troll shamans rod of inferno that they're using to create imbalance in the lands.
b. Spellcasters could try to tempt a thief to obtain a rare book tightly guarded by a Turag’s Chosen for a guild quest or their own purposes. It could be plausible that a stealthy approach would be required from a beast who would otherwise destroy it or hide it.
3. With the new dye system (which I love), I can only imagine that there’s a place to have more neutral clothing items be added to the realms. The the difficulty of obtaining items from challenging beasts can be a good way to distribute items into the realms.
a. Suede Shoes, Scarves, shawls, hair-clips, cufflinks, suits that focus on the physical appearance rather than the color can give broader customization. A Moon hag might have a tattered dress, an Accountant in Tranos might have a simple plain dress and a Lich might have a spider-silk gown

Generally speaking, this is the skill my guild specializes in. There are a lot of fun ways that I can imagine playing with it, but as it stands it's the skill least used by us. I hope that others will have feedback and suggestions to bring to a discussion here.
Thank you all for your time.
Jericho/Tim
sliper
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Fate

Re: A second loot table

Post by sliper »

I love this idea, especially the aspect of helping Druids get items without the need for kills, or perhaps give them Druids-only alternatives to kill quests the rest of the realms have.

The customization aspect is nice too, and would be great - even if the rate of success was minuscule - for taking items that belong powerful characters. A warlock may want something stolen off Thulis, Kzelt, or Zagrat, etc.
Sliper, Charter Member
anerausa

Post by anerausa »

::vote::
Runescribe Anera
Erilaz of Dragons
Ravon
GM of Warlocks
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Magic

Post by Ravon »

I second this notion. Or third as it is.
Alyce Kiltspar
Heroine of Healing
Guild: Druids
Temple: Healing

Post by Alyce Kiltspar »

There is something I have been working on with our patron that would help the item problem Druids have. It's in the discussion phases now. That's all I am willing to say on that front at this point.
Naria's Grace, Alyce Kiltspar, Heroine of Healing
Warden of House & Village Dominium
Proprietor of:
Granite Inn, Shadow's Cross Tavern & Inn and Ebb and Tide Tavern
Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Alyce! You’ve dangled a carrot in front of all of us, I can’t wait til we can hear more about what you’re hinting at ;)

I will say though that my point about a non-kill way to get items was just an example that had stuck in my mind as an obvious way that this could lead to several new spins on cross-class interactions. I’m not adverse to killing beasts from a player perspective but sometimes I do think “Wow, I just slaughtered thirty trolls for half of a key?”

I usually shy from mechanics that are overly guild specific (troll lair, guild interviews, etc), but I think that having three thief guilds of varying ethos and several older players who have the skill would keep availability broad. It would be about as open a service that could be provided as resurrecting. Assuming you aren’t in a rush, you could even post a contract on a guild’s boards if you were having trouble finding a thief and have the item COD’d to your character.

From a questing perspective, we often have the items tied to descriptions and examines. I would love to see the kings, queens and nobles of the realms given rarer items of weight. The kings have an established progression of difficulty that could easily meet a thief’s pick-pocket skill as they go through the realm. It would be interesting how a change like this could be used by more creative people than myself!

Jericho
Alyce Kiltspar
Heroine of Healing
Guild: Druids
Temple: Healing

Post by Alyce Kiltspar »

It's nothing more than discussions at this time. I am certainly hoping for some version of my idea to implemented, it's still just talk. I fully agree and support what you have posted for an idea with the Thieves.
Naria's Grace, Alyce Kiltspar, Heroine of Healing
Warden of House & Village Dominium
Proprietor of:
Granite Inn, Shadow's Cross Tavern & Inn and Ebb and Tide Tavern
marcin
Guild: Warriors
Temple: Temple of War

Post by marcin »

I like this a lot - anything to add variety.

IT also brings up the idea of adding powerful armor/weapons available through raid bosses or blocked doors behind nearly impossible swarms.

Not to compare this to modern day MMOs, but it would be nice to consider the typical "instance/dungeon" that can be scheduled with multi-factions for success. Could also add a repawn time of 1-5 days.

Just a thought!
::salute::
WARLORD GM Marcin, Blade of Zir!

"Only the Dead see the end of War!"
Jericho

Post by Jericho »

It could certainly make it challenging for a thieving person to try and grasp at their target during a large fight (the empty hand largely taking them out of combat and making them have a different role during that engagement). Careful Marcin, you're this close to suggesting that Zirites might actually have to attract more sneaky people to join them!

Honestly, my personal feeling is that I'd love to see baubles, trinkets, RP props. I might be short sighted, but a lot of thieves are drawn toward trophies that might not necessarily be extremely powerful.

For a quest or a boss, I'd definitely go for it. I'd be equally excited to steal a pen and quill from an accountant in Tranos while having a conversation with someone in the square.
Kin
Temple: Dreams

Post by Kin »

A great idea that I would love to see implemented! It would really add a lot to the thieving class, and game in general I think. As it stands, I really view the pickpocket skill as all but useless. This would be a monumental improvement!

Return to “Game Suggestions”