The Parable of Ultima

A forum for followers of Dread. - This temple is currently closed to new members, titles, and items.
Theseus
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Dread

The Parable of Ultima

Post by Theseus »

By: Mordorith, Prophet of Dread

"..What may elude me from the beginning, shall be turned upon you to delude you in the closing moments of your existence at my side."

Some time ago, before the way of Dread had grown into full acceptance to me, I traversed the realm with great doubt of where each path I tread did lead. I feared the darkness that stirred within me, and held it at bay by surrounding myself with hearty comrades both old and young. I looked to them to keep me from being drawn to the darkness that pulled so gently at my soul. I feared it for I knew it not. Though now I embrace it, it was long before I submitted myself to the beauty of Dread.

I knew many within the Legion of Vagma, and followed their proceedings with what mind I could lend. Entranced by the majesty of Dread, never could I ignore its grasp upon the realm. I fell into company one day with a man known as Ultima. He seemed, to me, as one favored by Vagma's hand, and so I paid him due respect for holding such heavenly privilege and passed verse with him. A dark sorcerer was he, beneath Kane's hand within the guild of Warlocks.... and beneath Vagma's within the Temple of Dread. He stirred with life in Dread and carried well, for a time, its name. It was one fateful evening that I did chance to cross him within the dungeon of Devardec. Wielding the lavish gifts bestowed to him by Dread, he emitted a regal air. His ethos and semble was that of any powerful Warlock. Even within the dim scape of the cavernous dungeon, did he seem prestigious. Recently, he had undergone a promotion within the Legion of Dread and wore an arrogant countenance. It was one that I was unfamiliar with in Ultima until that time. A bright smile gleamed across his face as he wore proudly the mark of favor from Vagma. In his arrogance he began to grow tired of his mortal vices and sought desperately the familiarity of divine powers.

"Good evening," said I. "Greetings," came his reply with a nod at my presence. This being a greeting of less formality than I was accustomed to, I grew enticed and sought the effect of his pride.

"What news, Ultima?" said I. A dark smile fell across his face. It was that of a man who had conquered all he had ever thought himself capable of. I felt him surge with a wave of arrogance as he began to unfold before me the profits of his employment in the Temple of Dread.

"You know," he began, "I was rather disappointed with my endurance mentally and physically as I reached the pinnacle of my growth." The smile grew, now darker.

"I bade Vagma lower my stature within the realm so that I may once again grow with experience in battle." His voice reeked heavily of pride. I saw then, within his eyes, a deep shadow cross beneath his lids. The room grew silent, and the light of a torch flickered lending shadows to dance across the cavern walls. A rune of Vagma that had been carved into the wall, glowed gently. Ultima's back was projected towards the rune, thus its activation went unnoticed. I looked to him questioningly, as he continued.

"I am in his favor, and thus he has bestowed his might upon me, and will grant my desire" he said, his voice rasping slightly, as though his speech had become hoarse from overuse. I nodded in answer to this, as I saw, yet again, a shadow sliver within his eyes, leaving the rune to shimmer more brightly as though out of anger. Discomforted by this, I slipped off into the caverns to the South, leaving Ultima to himself, to bask in the glories that he had attained.

When once he seemed to command the word of Dread, his elegance had been replaced with faulty and arrogant thoughts. He seemed as one overtaken by the lustful hand of pride. Less than a month had passed when again I did chance to cross him. At this meeting I came to realize a most drastic change in the mien of Ultima. He seemed fully abandoned and rid of all arrogance that only recently had run so thickly through his veins. He seemed condemned by a malediction of the most foul and heinous nature. He was stooped, bent heavily before some unseen burden, and leaning heavily upon his staff, stood before the gray clouds of Tranos' sky. No smile of contentment had fallen across such an aged face as his face in what could have been mistaken for years. He was muttering to himself as I approached him. He made little notice of my presence, so I began word with him.

"Afternoon," said I. Looking for him to meet his eyes with mine, though he did not.

"Greetings..." said he. The mark of humility bent upon him like the burden of a battle grievously lost.

"What news, Ultima?" said I. His eyes were still bent upon the ground as he replied.

"Do you recall, by chance, the time, not too long ago, that I had spoken of Vagma's grace upon me?" His words were intermittent and bore the tone of despondence. I nodded in reply as he continued.

"It seemed that then, when Vagma had lowered my stature within the realm, at my bidding, he crafted through his will my inability to ever gain stature again..." He trailed off distantly as one who had not seen contentment in all their existence.

"He said I am to bear it eternally..." Again, he trailed off into nothingness. When the dawn of the next day had risen, he was vanished from the realm, and I never saw him again.

Return to “Temple of Dread”