The Gift Of Time

A forum for followers of Dread. - This temple is currently closed to new members, titles, and items.
Theseus
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Dread

The Gift Of Time

Post by Theseus »

(Also known as "The Tale of Creation")

In the beginning was the void and from this void did step Deori. Magnificent was he and kind beyond words. He did look upon the void and decide to create the world. This he did and on it he placed the land and the trees.

But the world was still and no life walked upon it. Deori was distraught, he tried for many moments to create a living thing but it seemed to be impossible. He created shells of creatures, lifeless things that could not move on their own. Eventually his grief became too much and Deori wept. He wept for long moments and his tears did fill up the land. His tears spread over the world and became the great seas of the world.

From these seas did the miracle of life begin. When life walked out of the seas and onto the land, Deori stopped weeping. He spoke to the life and his breath became the winds. There followed then, a moment of peace, and in this moment life flourished; the first born walked the land and marveled at Deori's work. Then from the void did Vagma appear.

Vagma saw the land Deori had created and demanded to create his own life upon the world. Deori, ever wise to the true heart of Vagma, said he could not but did allow him to grant the world a gift. Vagma took a moment to think about it before producing a small hourglass. Vagma opened the glass and took a handful of fine sand from within it.

"This is my gift to the world. I give it the gift of time."

With that, Vagma threw the sand over the land. It was carried on Deori's breath to all the far reaches of the world and, in an instant, the land began to age.

"No matter what you create now, it will age and die before your eyes!" laughed Vagma. Deori could not bear to see his world dying and he walked back into the void.

In this time did Vagma walk upon the world, he twisted the life he found and ruled it as a king. He split open the land and allowed the molten lava to burn and scar it. He killed many thousands and laughed upon his dark throne. Then, from the void, Deori reappeared. He had with him his children, the first and the most noble being Eridanian. He looked down from on high and asked Eridanian to think of a plan. Eridanian was gifted with powers of thought beyond all the other Immortals. He looked at the world and acted at once. He called forth the tears of Deori that formed the seas into huge waves. He commanded the waves to wipe the land clean of all creatures. So it was that the first great flood happened and Eridanian became the Immortal of Thought and ruler of the element of water.

Vagma strode out of his dark castle and challenged Deori to fight him. Deori sent Alvogyl down to do battle. Vagma was powerful and Alvogyl knew that he must find a way to defeat him. The battle was set to be fought in a valley; Alvogyl stood within and Vagma appeared upon the rim. Vagma brought forth huge waves of lava to burn Alvogyl to a crisp. Alvogyl acted swiftly, he spoke to the land and felt its pain at the way Vagma had treated it. He promised to protect the land and always place its safety above all else. In return, the land coated Alvogyl in hard rocks and minerals. This coating allowed Alvogyl to survive the lava, yet so great was the heat that the rocks fused to his very skin.

The battle between Vagma and Alvogyl raged for twenty years, until at last Alvogyl had Vagma at his mercy upon Mount Pragma. It was here that Alvogyl's hand was held by the might of Zir. Vagma was not vanquished, instead it was agreed that he would be encased within the land under a mountain range.

It was from this point that the races of the world started to appear. Deori tasked them with creating the first great city; Alvogyl chose the location and Eridanian oversaw the construction. The city became known as Devardec and was the only time that all the races worked together to create a place of wonder and beauty.

Alas Vagma's curse of time worked its spell once more. The races began to fragment and in time built their own kingdoms. It was the Dwarf stronghold of Bellegost that proved to be the key to releasing Vagma back into the world. Thordin Stormhammer was the leader of the Dwarves back then, he was consumed with the need to dig for gold. The Dwarves sank many deep shafts into the earth looking for the precious metal. One day while digging, he heard a voice.

"Little man, what do you dig for ?" asked the voice.

Thordin explained to the voice it was the search for gold that had lead him down this far.

"Dig towards my voice little man, I have something far more precious than gold to offer you." Tempted the voice.

Thordin did as instructed, he happened upon a strange silver metal that he had never seen before. The metal had a life of its own, Thordin became transfixed with it.

"I have more metal like that, it is called Mithril, dig towards me little man and you shall have more than you could ever imagine." Spoke the voice.

Thordin was possessed, he order all but a small handful of dwarves to enter the shaft and dig towards the voice. They continued to dig through the night, one day lead to another then a few days lead to a week. As the weeks piled on it became months that matured into years of constant digging.

In that time the Dwarves had gone so far into t he ground that they could no longer be heard by the dwarves who remained on the surface.

Eventually they broke through into the cavern that held the voice, it was there that they beheld Vagma ! he captured the Dwarves and tortured them. He twisted their bodies and bent their minds. In time he created an army of new creatures, foul creatures, creatures who knew only evil.

Vagma took his force and marched up through the shafts of Bellegost, he found and slaughtered the Dwarves who still worked on the surface. Only a small expeditionary force in the mountain range of Hellegost survived.

His army took Bellegost as their own, turning it from a Dwarvern town into a fortress of evil. His dark army moved onto the lush plains and awaited the armies of the world to confront them.

And the armies came, each race tried in turn to repel Vagma's army and each time they failed. Any prisoners that were taken were twisted into new creations of evil.

At last Deori stepped forward with his children.

"You have caused much harm to my land, it stops this day Vagma." Cried Deori.

"Your forces are few and mine are many, my curse of time will ALWAYS ensure that I can not be defeated." Mocked Vagma.

Vagma waved his arm and called forth a mighty dragon, huge was the beast and terrible to behold. It hovered over Vagma's army and howled its defiance to the gathered Immortals.

Eridanian stepped forward and held forth it bow, taking aim he struck the dragon in the eye, with a howl that still ranges when the winds strike up, the Dragon fell to the ground, crushing most of Vagma's hordes and forming the Wyrm spine mountains, sealing Bellegost off from the rest of the land.

"No, you can not.. I will rise my army from the dead...." screamed Vagma.

Yet when he tried to call forth the spirits of the fallen he found they answered another. A huge horse with hooves aflame appeared, its rider had a pale face and he wielded a skull mace. He was Reknall, lord of the Dead the new child of Deori.

"I will have my revenge, in time, I will !" spat Vagma

"No my son, this moment is over, I will not have my children striving only to ruin the world." Spoke Deori softly.

He motioned with his hand and a glowing parchment appeared.

"I am giving the land the gift or reading and writing, with this gift will go a new Immortal, one of history and learning. No longer will time be a curse to the races of the world, it will be something that heals, something that offers wisdom to the new generations." With that Deori motioned to the heavens and Vasari did appear.

"Without my curse, I am nothing, you can not do this, you can not do this !" sobbed Vagma.

And Deori took pity on him. He offered Vagma one more chance to rejoin the fold, to stand for an ideal that could be found in all the races , just as justice, magic, adventure, hope, history, pleasure, light and luck had representatives.

Vagma smiled."I accept."

So it was that Vagma took his place among the Immortals. When asked which ideals he would champion we grinned before speaking.

"I shall stand for the principles that are strong in all, personal wealth, personal power, the improvement of self above all others. Domination and adulation will be the banners of my rallying call."

Return to “Temple of Dread”