Tidings of Prosperity

A forum for followers of Dread. - This temple is currently closed to new members, titles, and items.
venis
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Dread

Tidings of Prosperity

Post by venis »

The political tidings had been handled and set into place for the Warlocks' Guild--its leadership would again fall under the able wisdom of those connected to the Order, and the Order would boast greater power for it. Only, this was the doing of a Wastrel, Venis knew, which was particularly impressive and ambitious given the general acumen of most Wastrels--many whom he had seen fail, unremittingly, in their efforts to garner the affections of the Order of Dread.

The rhythmic beat of the Warlocks' Guild hummed in approval and for a moment there was a strange but comforting sense of solitude that washed over the kingly half-orc.

Well, that's one thing handled anyway.

Venis placed a single skeletal fingertip to the top of Tenebrae and pressed in gently, rubbing it in a lethargic circular motion, and soon a dark magelight did consume him. A haunting symphony of screams played as shadows borne of his strength hungrily enveloped him and transported him through time and space back to the Realm of Twilight. After a half day's worth of travel from the Capital to the sprawling acreage of Aviditas, he'd ultimately find solace by the warm hearth burning within the plantation home.

He then set about penning a separate missive, his agenda different from the usual affairs of the Realm. When he was finished, he pressed his personal wax seal--a stylized depiction of the serpent coiled around a dagger and a small stack of gold coins--to the folded edges of the parchment, binding them together. Something amused him, so would believe those attending him that day, as evidenced by the smirk upon his gruesome mug.

"Give this to Lady Umbra. Tell her the Order may soon have room for
one more who has proven their worth, should she find herself in agreement," he commanded in an ominous fashion before handing the sealed document to one of many runners at attention.
vampirss
Guild: Barbarians

Re: Tidings of Prosperity

Post by vampirss »

Sitting at her desk in Umbra going over a few details, she was interrupted by a special missive that was brought in by one of the runners from Aviditas. She motioned the boy forward and took the missive from him. Breaking the seal she knew well, she looked it over and considered the contents. After a few minutes she picked up her quill from the blood pot at the corner of the desk and wrote one word at the bottom of the missive.

Agreed.

-S

She sealed the missive closed with her house seal and usual red wax and handed it back to the boy, telling him to give it back to the Lord he received it from. Without hesitation, he was off.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
High Lady of Twilight, House Umbra
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress
venis
Guild: Warlocks

Re: Tidings of Prosperity

Post by venis »

At the Altar of Perquisition in Dread
The hollow in the Church, well-lit by torches in elaborate sconces, holds plush
prayer stools set before a gilded altar that stands empty. Tapestries bearing
the images of kings and queens decorate the cold stone walls, promises of what
the worthy may expect should the God of Dread look upon them with favor.
Players here:
Maugath

Venis says 'Let the Council of Dread be called to session by the acting hand that serves it.'
Venis asks 'Who sponsors this Wastrel?'

Maugath says 'You do.'

Venis asks 'That's very bold, are you so sure?'

Maugath says 'Yes. It is my understanding that you have sent a letter to Cardinal Satyana, indicating your sponsorship.'

Venis asks 'Then that I create a record and act not in unilateral fashion, what would your sponsor say on your behalf to the council?'

Maugath says 'That I have shown a level of ambition in my own personal advancements, to be noticed by those ranking above me in this Order. To reach out and take the mantle of Guildmaster for the Warlocks, itself tied so closely to Dread in its history.''

Venis asks 'You understand that the Order is the main and only body within Dread? That while you are free to come and go now, that shall not be the case if your merit is genuine?'

Maugath says 'I understand, yes.'

Venis lifts Tenebrae, and as he does the sconces on the wall rattle. The torches within extinguish and darkness cascades in. The kingly half-orc then whispers an ageless incantation and brilliant constellations manifest in the darkness, gazing upon those assembled.

Venis's staff glows a dull green as he inquires, "Are you Of Dread?"

Maugath nods his head once, his eyes settling on the glow of the staff.

Maugath says 'I am Of Dread.'

Venis asks 'Why do you petition this ancient power?'

Maugath says 'To claim what is owed to me.'

Venis says 'Then to the Altar of Perquisition shall you submit yourself, in a trial of consequence. That your worth may be judged not by me or any vicar, but by the Nether Realm itself. '

Venis points the great staff in the direction of the gilded altar, and it illuminates in pale emerald runes.

Venis says 'Your shroud is an outward extension of the esteem in which the Nether Realm holds you. Should you dare seek greater standing, all you need do is place it there on the altar.'

Maugath removes his Lesser Dark Shroud. He steps before the altar, lifting the shroud and placing it across the surface.

Venis states, "Then let us see," and inhales deeply whilst the constellations twinkle out. He patiently awaits the impending darkness and soon has it, as the runes on the altar cease to glow. Venis's gruesome mug appears once more as a faint portal to the Nether Realm snaps open to consume the shroud, then shuts.

As the torches flicker to life once more, Venis and the rest of the opulent chamber return to visibility.

Venis grunts, "Impressive", apparently noting the shroud upon the altar replaced by one of renewed vigor and power.

Maugath nods solemnly, reaching out to take the newly strengthened shroud from its resting place.

Venis says 'So be it. You are, from this day forward, anointed and recognized as One of Dread. Do not abuse the great trust that has been placed in you, for you now possess that which is most coveted. May the strength of the Order grow and be enriched through your own greatness.’

Return to “Temple of Dread”