The Domed Chamber

A forum for followers of Dread. - This temple is currently closed to new members, titles, and items.
venis
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Dread

The Domed Chamber

Post by venis »

”You are summoned... come to where the lightning crashed in the forest.”

The call of a voice, the kind with the audacity to summon him. And while this would have been exceptional enough circumstance standing alone, there was more—something otherworldly and commanding, calling to him directly, able to seek him through power beyond mere sorcery. Compelling, divine, and familiar.

A tendril of the
God of Dread, reaching out.

His Lordship stirs.

So a determined Venis strode from the plantation. He took to the oceans of the world aboard the ship ‘The Wealthy Pursuits’, and began his voyage. The Dracolich, Kyuss, followed by air and became his wings once they struck land. Together, their search continued until they found the unmistakable location. There was something beautiful in those charred ruins, the kind of beauty that only destruction makes manifest.

”You have answered my call.”

Drawn beneath the surface was he, to a place of immense darkness. He waved a hand and created an orb of magelight which revealed the desolate tunnel that he navigated. But as he reached a large dome-shaped chamber of stalactites, he beheld a large shadow which swirled around four glowing spheres, and his light was extinguished. His strength seemed diminished there, as though appropriated by the shadow to which it belonged, and from which Venis was merely borrowing. And then...

”Kneel.”
venis

Re: The Domed Chamber

Post by venis »

And so he knelt and listened, for Venis knew that even Princes answer to Gods.

“Power is there for those that are strong enough to take it. Will you serve?”

Have I not been His vicar? Dread’s mortal voice? Perhaps I have displeased Him somehow? Of course I serve Dread…

But this was not the time for arrogance, rather humility; it was an honor that the spectre of a god, especially this god, should even bother to use his power to summon him. Bearing this in mind, Venis replied cautiously, “I am ever a constant and faithful servant of Dread, Your Lordship.”

“How will you serve?”

He thought of several ways to answer, but arrived at the proud declaration of, “With all the grace, ruthlessness, guile and majesty that I possess.” But the voice did not seem to accept it with similar pleasure as did he, and again the voice inquired.

“How will you serve?”

How? What exactly is His Lordship asking? I suppose He seeks action rather than the ways in which I will carry out the task…

Venis took a moment to reconsider his words. And what came next was either one of the most clever or foolish things Venis could be so bold to utter.
venis

Tenebrae

Post by venis »

“As Hand of Dread in your absence,” replied Venis, who at that point knew either such was the correct answer or a very poor judgment call—there was of course no middle ground in reaching so high.

“Serve well…”

In simultaneity with the words, a dark green mist washed over the emaciated fingers of his right hand. This ether trail then did elongate into a thin linear manifestation before coalescing into the shape of a sturdy maple staff, which he suddenly found himself clutching.

“… and power will be yours to have…”

As Venis cast a gaze equally inquisitive and reverent toward that in his grasp, a low hum permeated the chamber. An immeasurable and almost tangible darkness consumed the artifact, anointing it with the symbol of the Immortal Silk. When the staff had finished assimilating this foreign strength, and the humming ceased, he felt much more—the power of Dread’s sphere and its unrivaled magnificence somehow radiating from the staff. The simple maple wood had become remarkable in a mere whisper of the god. And for some reason, Venis found himself holding that remarkable thing in the aftermath of his boldness.

Amazing. I feel as though I could conquer cities, realms, maybe more… with this… this extension of power. One has to imagine this is less than an iota of what His Lordship holds...

The Creator was wrong. Dread, Silk, they can impact the world. And I hold proof…

And then the voice spoke again.

“I will be watching, I will always be watching…”

Then I will show Your Lordship what I am truly capable of...

“Shake the pillars of these lands…”

As though drunk on the borrowed power, Venis spat proudly, “I shall do just that!” Yet this time there came no reply. When finally he rose from where he knelt, he encountered a dizzying sensation, vertigo, and ultimately collapsed. He would come to within the Warlocks’ Guild.

Did this… happen? Am I losing it? Wait...

And then he felt the staff once more, and the very real power it yielded. The kind of moment which was both sobering and invigorating all at once. He strode forth from the pulsing halls of the Warlocks' Guild with ambition and avarice in his determined eyes. A smirk crept across his lips.

Then it is time. Let us remind them of the Order of Dread... and let them fear for what comes next. Let us shake the pillars of the world.

Return to “Temple of Dread”