A Missive is Sent

If you want to communicate with everyone in the lands you can post here.
Mirynna
Legend

A Missive is Sent

Post by Mirynna »

Two messengers bearing the crest of the Merchants’ Guild ride their matching black stallions out of Tranos. They pass through Nirimloth Forest together before dividing, one heading east and the other south. One of the black stallions is sighted as it passes through the city of Goldcroft, the second as it approaches the northern gates of Devardec. Staying no longer is necessary to deliver their messages, the riders turn and hurry back to the city of Tranos.

Your Worships,

Whilst our enquiries seem to have elicited little more than the most limited of information, my members now almost daily attend my office or send me lengthy missives recounting the latest accounts or rumors. It seems that these raids are increasing in strength and frequency.

My members and I grow increasingly concerned about the state of trade between the cities as it is over the seas and the significant impact this is beginning to have on a very many number of businesses. The pirates appear to target without discretion and the latest reports suggest that a trade ship heading to Tranos ports from Twilight was the most recent target.

Perhaps it is now time to cast the net wider afield for support and assistance in establishing who the snake or serpent crest belongs to?

Yours,

Mirynna
Lord Croft
Ruler of Goldcroft

-Within the Chambers of the King-

Post by Lord Croft »

Sitting in his favourite leather chair, Lord Croft casts an eye over the letter before sighing to himself. Nodding imperceptibly towards a servant standing nearby to refill his drink, he watches as the man pours liquid from a whiskey decanter into the cut crystal glass. Frowning momentarily, as he tries to remember the servant’s name, then shrugs his shoulders slightly as his attention turns again to the letter.

Beckoning his scribe forward, he barks an order, “Take down this letter… For the attention of the Lady Mirynna. Goldcroft needs no help, nor wants the help of Tranos. If you are suffering from the actions of pirates then look to your cities own weakness and bureaucracy in failing to invest in its navy..”

The King pauses for a moment, “Hold there scribe. Destroy that note..” he says, thinking of the actions of the murderous lying Pirate, ‘the Burner’. Croft looks thoughtful and speaks out loud, “Perhaps we should get involved… I do not know of any Pirate that sails under this crest of a snake or serpent. What is Lachlan’s crest again? A whiskey bottle? A braying donkey?”

The scribe and the servant laugh politely at the King’s last comment, glancing nervously at eachother. The King goes on, “Scribe, take this letter down… For the attention of Lord Sliper. I have received reports of various Pirate ships bearing a snake or serpent crest. None have dared attack a vessel bearing the colours of Goldcroft. However, the rich peasant who leads the Merchant’s Guild has contacted me asking for aid. Would you please speak with Mirynna when your duties next call you to Tranos. I have instructed for my Flagship to set sail for Tranos and be put at your disposal should the need arise…”

The King pauses with a satisfied nod then continues on, “have that letter dispatched to Lord Sliper as fast as possible…”
Tashmaal
Guild: Barbarians

Re: A Missive is Sent

Post by Tashmaal »

The sun blazed in the sky, a bright disc against the cold gray of early Awakenings as a letter arrived by courier to the Merchant Guild house. Instructions were given for the letter to be delivered to Mirynna's hand only.

The message is simple, but the handwriting is art.

Lady Mirynna

I first came directly to your office, but you were not there. I am sure you are busy. I have found hard information about the pirates that have harried your fleet and those of your trading partners. I would meet with you, when you are able.

Tashmaal, of the Barbarians' Clan

A scribe's symbol appears below the message, written in such an obnoxious flourish that it is impossible to decipher.
Mirynna
Legend

Post by Mirynna »

Dark and dirtied waters still sat pooled in the dips in the city streets, the cobbles that lined some of the roads slick with the rain water that came with the recent storms.

The Head Merchant had not long fallen into her desk chair when the messenger arrived. A raise of her hand bid him to wait as she bid him to wait to take the response.

Tashmaal,

Your words summoned a wave of relief as I read them. The pirates continue to wreak havoc on the businesses of my members and this has sadly kept me away from my office more than I would like. There has been much talk of some ship that has been washed ashore but I have yet been able to join the crowds to view it myself. Do you know of what I write?

If I am not in my office when you next come and search for me, I will likely be in one of the shops within Tranos or the nearest villages.

Your friend,

Mirynna

The door quietly closes behind him as he leaves.
Tashmaal
Guild: Barbarians

Post by Tashmaal »

Awakenings was half-gone by the time the message reached him. With Frost Fall approaching, Tashmaal had always wondered around this time of year if the city had taken its name from the month, or the opposite, or neither. Idle thoughts that never amounted to much beyond keeping his mind occupied during times of rest or the brutal concentration of a prolonged hunt.

Tongues of flame lapped at the evening sky, reaching high from the Clan bonfire as it snapped and roared amid the lodge's grove. When word reached Tashmaal's ear that a response from the Merchant's Guild had come, he rose and wandered towards the entry hall, rubbing his face and blinking the fire-glaze from his eyes as he went. The messenger handed him the note and he frowned, taking his time opening it. His eyes scanned over the words as the parchment wavered slightly in his trembling hands. He recognized his own name and was able to put together Mirynna's, not having been expecting a letter from anyone else, but the rest may as well have been written in the language of dragons. His pulse pounded furiously at his temples. He squeezed his eyes shut and opened them again, finally resigning himself with a sigh. "Read it to me," he muttered, shoving the letter back into the hands of the courier who only shrugged and did as he was asked, apparently used to this kind of thing.

Days later a response arrived at the Merchant's Guild, once more delivered directly to Mirynna's office. It bore the same scribe's mark and sweeping script.

Mirynna

I know of the ship. A pirate ship, no doubt, that once flew your foes' banners. I have their flag, pulled from the wreck. Soaked and faded as the thing is, the fanged sea serpent on a black field is clear. I do not know who the captain was, but he and his fellows all fly the same serpent, though the colors can vary as I am sure you have seen. As much and more is described at length in his log, even detailing the location of their haven and naming their king, in a sense. It seems the pirate captains answer to one man.

I am keeping the log safe for you.

Tashmaal, of the Barbarians' Clan
Lamaenor
Guild: Enchanters

Post by Lamaenor »

The Office of the Enchanters Representative was quiet today. These offices usually were. The warm breeze from the open door ruffled some papers around, providing the only movement in the room. A sudden flash of orange light accompanied by a quiet pop deposits the damp ambassador into the room. Lamaenor plops down into his chair in the office of the Enchanters Representative in an exasperated heap, looking about as happy as a soaked cat. His face contorts in a grimace as he yanks a stray twig from his mat of messy hair, which does not come free before taking a small clump with it. Sighing, he pulls a piece of parchment from a nearby drawer and digs a quill and ink pot out from under a stack of papers on the cluttered desk. The elf takes a deep breath and looks down at the paper in front of him.

Damp? Bah! Of course.

His hands were still wet. The ride down the river had not been kind to him. He muttered as he looked at the scratches he had accumulated from his hastily-constructed wooden construct, reminded of several failed attempts as acquiring the proper materials. Luckily, when he had found his way up a certain creek without a paddle, he could resort to the same teleport spell that had just taken him to the office. Grumbling, he traces a rune into the air which blows a gust of wind for a few seconds, which he uses to dry his hands before the glimmering rune disappears. Some papers fly off the desk as this happens (including the damp blank parchment). If he notices or cares, he gives no indication of it. He pulls out another piece of parchment and begins writing. After finishing, he sprinkles some sand on the paper and blows it dry. Satisfied that the ink is dry, he hastily addresses and envelope and affixes his seal to it. The elf calls for his most trusted courier, Jaxon, and hurries him along to Tranos. The message that arrives is thus:

The Right Honorable Merchants Guildmistress Mirynna

Lady Mirynna,

First, allow me to express my heartfelt apologies that I could not respond sooner. To be frank, I was quite unsure of the nature of the attacks you mentioned until one of Devardec's own fleet went missing some weeks ago. As His Majesty Jarenmar was away on an official visit to a foreign kingdom, I took it upon myself to personally investigate your claims, as well as the disappearance of our ship which I surmised were linked. My journey took me to the flotsam washed up near Tranos where I found evidence of this Serpent fleet which you mentioned. I will spare you the details, but soon thereafter I found myself one of the first few adventurers to follow in the steps of Tashmaal the Barbarian to the hidden cove city of Gallowhaven, with which you are by now no doubt familiar. I later met up with the brave barbarian and we discovered many troubling things, which I would love to discuss with you in person.

Know however, that Devardec is with you in the desire to keep our ships and shipping lanes safe. Piracy benefits none but the aggressors, and the loss of trade hurts us all. Normal piracy is to be expected and while we have, of course, taken measures to mitigate its effect on trade, we have never seen plundering on such a large scale before. As such, we were not prepared to prevent such a bold attack on our collective wealth and well-being. While we may have erred in the past, we stand prepared to do whatever we must to retrieve our stolen property and keep the shipping lanes free of such a pervasive threat.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience and I will be happy to discuss a plan of action. Until then, I will stay in regular correspondence with you. You may expect another message once I discover more of the nature of this threat.

Faithfully Yours,
Lamaenor, Ambassador of Devardec and Seeker of Enchants

Return to “Landwide Messages”