Introduction, redux

Messages for the Battlemages' Guild
Killraven
GM of Battlemages
Guild: Battlemages

Introduction, redux

Post by Killraven »

My name is Killraven. It wasn't always. Born Khal Rhaevenn of proud Northman stock, I have been a Battlemage for over three centuries.

Killraven is easier to pronounce. Close friends call me Raven. If you feel the need to ask if you can, you aren't close enough.

I joined the Guild long ago at the urging of my dying parental figures, which is a tale for a different time. But even if they hadn't, it was the Elemental Steeds that would have brought me here. The first time I saw a Battlemage charge an enemy from atop one of those most magnificent of mounts, leap forward, and cut down a foe with their Rune-gilded War Sword while wearing Crystal Armour, I knew what I wanted my destiny to be.

I have served in many roles during my time here, and at all levels of leadership at one time or another with varying levels of success. I have served many types of leaders, and been a leader that served many types of people. I have learned what to do, and what not to do, from many examples. My true loyalty, however, is to the Guild itself, its history, and its traditions. Any who jeopardize or disrespect those things, no matter their sources or intents, can count me among their most implacable of foes.

Some time ago I lost my Steed, my Sword, my Armour, and my destiny with them, it would seem. Perhaps I even lost what it meant to be a Battlemage. I am here for no other purpose than to rediscover it, alone if necessary. If I encounter one of you upon my journeys, I look forward to meeting or re-meeting you.

Unless I don't look forward to it. If you feel the need to ask if you are one I am not looking forward to meeting or re-meeting, you most assuredly are.
Killraven
GM of Battlemages
Guild: Battlemages

Re: Introduction, redux

Post by Killraven »

My title is Rhadamanthine. I was described as such by someone long, long ago, who told me it meant severely rigid or just. I decided I liked it because it seemed to fit properly and it sounded like "adamantine."

I learned that in certain mythologies, Rhadamanthus was a man whose name might mean 'rod diviner' derived from two words mantis "soothsayer, seer" and rhabdos "rod, wand". It could also be etymologically related to adámas "invincible, untamed" or damázo "to overpower, to tame, to conquer." Rhadamanthus, the man, was said to have been a wise king. In later accounts he is said to be one of the judges of the dead.

When I discovered this, I was pleased with my title. This accompanying data made it sound worthy, and a bit badass.

Later I learned that Rhadamanthine has also been defined as showing stern and inflexible judgment. It's synonyms include unfriendly, cold, chilly, frosty, icy, frigid, hard, flinty, steely stern, severe, fixed, expressionless, blank, poker faced, deadpan, unfeeling, uncaring, unsympathetic, lacking compassion, insensitive, unmoved, indifferent, unresponsive, cold hearted, callous, heartless, tough, hard hearted, stony hearted, inflexible, unbending, unyielding, uncompromising, merciless, pitiless, ruthless, unforgiving, hostile, adamantine, indurate, and marble hearted.

I see now why she named me so. It feels decidedly less badass now.

I remain however, Rhadamanthine as ever.

Return to “Battlemages' Guild”