Resumption

Messages for the Battlemages' Guild
Killraven
GM of Battlemages
Guild: Battlemages

Resumption

Post by Killraven »

Sitting on a cot typically reserved for convalescing, he unrolled what remained of his belongings onto an adjoining one while flatly ignoring the protests of the nearby Aeliana who had been reduced to glaring at him silently. It was her own fault for pointing out that although he seemed to be on the mend and generally fit, that it was his defiance that proved to her he was feeling better.

Although, to be fair, looking around at the empty cots and listening at the empty guild and rolling his eyes wasn't exactly nice.

But then again, neither was he. His possessions, less so.

Helmet, cracked. Breastplate pierced, backpiece too. One arm, gauntlet, and bracer gone, one legging and boot gone. Missing a bunch of rings. Warsword's broke all to hell, everything is all jacked up. Axe is good, thanks to whomever is responsible to that, what's left is all discharged and dull...

He lay on his back with his left arm under his head, looking up at the ceiling wondering if discharged and dull applied to him too. He had a locker in town, but it was never full of anything useful, mostly things from forgotten quests or objects he had moved beyond or would never wear.

"There's Runeforges RIGHT THERE," she said to him not-entirely-too passive aggressively when she observed the dullness of his remaining blades and other accoutrements. "And your Medallion can be rechar..." she trailed off, suddenly uncomfortable and endangered. The side-eye she had received told him everything she would need to know: That Killraven knew exactly where to recharge his replica of Benjuk's Medallion. It was adjacent to the portals to Ael'lanar, where the Elemental Steeds came from. He would not be going there until he was ready, if ever. And until he was, if he ever was, he would be convalescing in way different than she was used to treating. Riders rarely outlived their Steeds, or the reverse.

"I'm sorry," she said quietly. "I forgot. Take as long as..."

"It's fine," he lied. "I was done here anyway" he said like a petulant child before pulling on a robe, gathering his things in a blanket, and stalking off.

She watched him go, hoping she hadn't aggravated his wound.
Killraven
GM of Battlemages

Re: Resumption

Post by Killraven »

Standing before the Runeforge, he handed over the dagger he had displayed so aggressively to Tyriana and waited patiently for the forge to do his work. "This one isn't yours," he said to Killraven. "It doesn't fit your hand right." It wasn't an accusation, it was the observation of a simple fact from a keen observer.

"No," he said quietly, feeling like a neophyte being called to the carpet. " I.." he stammered and stuttered.

It was over three hundred years ago, Killraven. Find the nerve.

"I sold mine. Someone felt sorry for me and gave me theirs."

"This was Lork's," the forge stated as he worked.

"Aye," Killraven said.

"Moighty Battlemage, Lork."

"You knew her?" he asked, genuinely curious and smiling briefly at the odd pronunciation of the word "Mighty" that Gawa had infected the guild with so long ago.

"I know daggers. She didn't feel sorry for you. She saw something in you she liked that made you kin. Here."

He took the dagger and inspected it. It was clean, and sharp, and looked like it had been forged new that very morning. He was truly thankful for it, and said so before he turned to continue on the quest he had not realized he was on.

"Oi," the Runeforge said. It sounded like "boy" to Killraven.

He turned, reaching for his pockets. "Oh, sorry, it's been so long that.."

The Runeforge smiled and waved a hand. "No, don't be stupid, that's free. But here's a tip:"

"I'm listening."

"Your worth being gauged by none other than yourself is a fine motto, but if a Battlemage weighs in on the subject on your behalf, it's best to listen," he said, gesturing to the dagger.

He stood there silently for a moment, clutching the dagger to his chest like a child would a teddy bear. Then he nodded his one word answer:

"Aye."
Killraven
GM of Battlemages

Re: Resumption

Post by Killraven »

As heartened as he was by his visit to the Runeforge that specialized in Battlemage Daggers, he was equally crushed by the Greater one that dealt in Runeswords.

"Yeah, I can't fix that, It's broken."

"It's supposed to be broken," Killraven countered, pointing out the four runes were designed to be broken down and combined in ways to create six different blades.

"Not like this. Look, your circle rune is broke so bad it looks like another crescent. And the star one is broke so bad it looks like you really have five triangles. There's nothing I can do with these."

"But you're the Greater Runeforge," Killraven said quietly.

"Not that great," he replied flatly, while tossing the broken runes in the refuse bin, unafraid of the words.

"Ain't that the truth," Killraven snarled. "What the hell am I supposed to do now?"

"You a Battlemage aintcha?" the Runeforge growled back. "Figure it out."

"Right, right, I'll just go back and do the...whole...quests over again?" he said, slowing down and turning an angry retort into a genuine and hopeful question.

The Greater Runeforge glowered at him, but his eyes twinkled when he did it. It told Killraven all he needed to know, and set him on a path.

No, not a path. The path. The only one that had ever truly mattered to him.

The Trials of Benjuk had begun.

Return to “Battlemages' Guild”