Tale of Homecoming

Messages for the Battlemages' Guild
relkin
Guild: Monks

Tale of Homecoming

Post by relkin »

As you enter the room Oiklop beacons you come and sit close to him, for he has a tale to tell.

The first thing I remember is looking around the swamp I was raised in and feeling like I shouldn't be there. I remember the weeping trees and the musty smell and not feeling at home. My clan was fairly typical for swamp Saurians. Violent and not caring to increase knowledge. Most of my clan would revel in their physical prowess, they would spend the hours when they weren't searching for food beating upon the rotting trees of the swamp. I learned from my older siblings that it was very desirable for members of the tribe to have thick rough scales on their knuckles, it was the right of passage into adulthood. The ultimate test would be the pulverize a tree with only 2 blows, one from each fist. From an early age the young from my tribe would go to a ring of trees and punch the trees to harden our scales and bones. I however, didn't enjoy this activity. I found it was pointless and spent my time during the exercises focusing on mental strength. I did this by reciting passages from a book I found lost in the swamp. It was from this lost book that I discovered my love for knowledge and my distaste for the ways of my tribe.

After years of this training I found that I had hardened my hands, but had a sharp mind as well. Much to the annoyance of my family I also had lost the way of speaking that was common to my tribe. The long "s" was absent from my speech. This started whispers among the tribe that I didn't belong, that I wasn't a true Saurian, at least not one that fit with the tribe. When it came to the test of adulthood, my heart was not in the using of my fists on the tree. I couldn't destroy the tree in 2 blows. The tribe elder came to me and said that I was to leave to swamp and only come back if I could destroy the tree. When I looked around to get any sort of defense from my family there was none. Only cold dead eyes stared back into mine. I left the tribe that very day with the clothes on my back and my fists to defend myself.

I spent years wandering throughout the lands and soon found that leaving the swamp was the best thing that ever happened to me. I went to Devardec and learned from the books there, and I learned from the people there. I spent my time helping people who needed help. Soon I went to Tranos, and then to Frostfall. It was in Frostfall that I found my true tribe. While trying to help people I came across Tyriana, who happened to be looking for a dagger. I went off in search of the dagger, wanting to help and impress the people of the newest city I visited. I found that a monster had possession of it and I would have to wrest it from their corpse. Using the training I had undergone as a young lizard, I killed the creature and manage to get the prize, a Rune Dagger. Picking it up, I felt something, I liked the way it felt in my hands. This was truly the first time I had ever picked up a weapon. The smooth wood of the handle, and the shape of the blade were captivating. It was then that I knew that I was meant to hold steel, not punch trees! I quickly returned to Tyriana and returned the dagger. She told me that If I wished, I could come into the Battlemage's guild and learn the ways and stories of Benjuk. Hearing the tale of Benjuk affirmed my choice, for I choose to judge myself not by the standards of my former tribe.

I choose to judge myself by my own standards! One day I will return to the swamp and face the lizards that were once my kin and tell them of my new kin, and that tree will crumble from my steel and spell!

Oiklop looks over to you and you notice a smile of pride on his face. His tale is done, not completely done, for there are many more chapters to fill in the book of his life.
Brother of the Hand Oiklop, Honored Citizen of Devardec
Just plain Sal
Guild: Battlemages
Temple: Dreams

Re: Tale of Homecoming

Post by Just plain Sal »

Very well stated Oiklop , you shall grow immensely with your persistence . We welcome you home and are proud to call you our brother!

GM Sal

Return to “Battlemages' Guild”