Silence is broken

For Stone Keep and its Citizens
streen
Guild: Wizards
Temple: The Seas

Silence is broken

Post by streen »

Polished floors and billowing crimson red drapes, scented with rose perfumes the Grand Ballroom was kept in pristine condition despite the current recession. It had been months since any occasion had warranted use of the opulent room, but still the candles were lit each evening at twilight and put out at whatever hour Lord Henrik bustled through from his study. In short, the dour gray Weeping Skies and political troubles were kept outside the Fortress gates.

The manufactured tranquility of the Fortress broke with a sudden and unannounced boom, which was followed by a wave of static energy which surged through the ground level of the Fortress.

It’s an attack! A magical attack!” called one of the sentries as he rushed through the Fortress to alert the guard. The floors shook under the weight of the Ogre Guard and the dwarven armor as they gathered in the audience chamber.

Is it the Dark Lord? Is Mantor here aga--” yelled another voice, but the question was cut off by bells ringing out a warning to the city and to assemble the guard.

Servants came rushing out from the kitchen, one dwarf still holding a bottle of whiskey and a tumbler still half full. They stood in the doorway of the chamber and looked a upon an indefinable silhouette, crouched in the center of the room under the cover of darkness. As the guard flooded into the room, the servant finished his drink in one large gulp.

The figure stood erect, his face catching glimpses of light coming from the dining chamber. Dropping from his arms, a brown monkey touches down lightly onto the cold damp floor. "
The Storms have returned.”

-----------------------------
Streen, Baron of Stonekeep
Last edited by streen on Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
streen

Re: Silence is broken

Post by streen »

Last edited by streen on Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
streen

Post by streen »

Skittering across the cold stone floors of the fortress, an energetic and youthful brown monkey leaps onto the cluttered desk of the Baronial office. It coos and chirps as it appraises a few of the topmost papers that the current council had been busily trying to stay abreast on.

Moments later, a familiar face steps in from the Balcony. Tall by dwarven standards, Streen held an armful of rags in his arms. The golden threads of his old Tunic of the Keep still shining through the sun damaged tunic, which was far from the crimson that it had been dyed to so long ago.

Taking the note into his hands, he appraised it for a moment before agreeing with his familiar. “
Seems as good a place to start as any. We have a long road ahead of us. Lord Silk will have his ore, as soon as we find out who the current head of commerce is."
aoveron
Temple: Magic

Post by aoveron »

The shadows shift as Streen and his familiar left the office in search of answers. Green eyes peer out from the darkness to make sure there was no one left lurking around....aside from the owner of the eyes, of course.

As the shadows coalesce into solid features, Aoveron looks around the long unused office. She frowns at the dusty floors as she mutters to herself. "So he's finally returned, has he? Well, this isn't needed anymore in that case...."

Clapping her hands, the room shimmers and melts away. As the illusion clears, Aoveron walks about, lighting the candles and shaking out the curtains, causing clouds of dust to billow into the air. The desk, now devoid of parchment and listing slightly to one side, looks to have been undisturbed for over a century. Spinning around, Aoveron smirks to herself and heads off to gather the council.

"I suppose I can dispense with this as well..." she chuckles as she steps through the wall, an image of a silver dragon flashing over her human form before she vanishes from sight.
--
Chancellor of Stone Keep Aoveron
Hierarch of Magic
Wizard's Guild Officer
aoveron
Temple: Magic

Post by aoveron »

"I'm saying we shouldn't necessarily jump straight to trusting him!"

The Council was gathered around the table in the great hall, arguing with each other. Aoveron, standing at the head of the table, pushed his point. "He abandoned us in our time of need. He abandoned ME, when I finally located him, and refused to return. Why should we trust him to lead us again?"

Lord Hedsur, Warden and Head Interrogator, slammed his hand on the table. "Streen is our true Baron, and he should be leading us during this time of chaos. It is his right! I would rather him lead us than a pretender like yourself." Turning to the room, he addresses the rest of the council members. "Baron Streen may have left us once, but he is here now, and he is what we need to both protect us from this current crisis, and to help the barony thrive again. He's even working to open up trade again, regardless of our current recession."

Aoveron sadly shook his head, "I'm not arguing against Streen so I can be leader, I'm arguing against blindly getting behind someone who comes out of nowhere with no explanation. We've had three Barons appear out of nowhere in the wake of these storms, and everyone is letting them take over, no questions asked. If you let him take over, that's on you. But I want to make sure our home is safe, even if it means having to work with him again. I won't let Mantor's Curse happen, not like last time."

Aoveron sighs and curls his tail around his body as he settles down on the floor. As the voices raise again in argument, talking over each other, he knew this would be a long night.
--
Chancellor of Stone Keep Aoveron
Hierarch of Magic
Wizard's Guild Officer

Return to “Stone Keep”