An Advisor to the City

For Stone Keep and its Citizens
Lamaenor
Guild: Enchanters

An Advisor to the City

Post by Lamaenor »

A quiet *pop* deposits into the road the Ambassador of Devardec and a wagon harnessed to two oxen. The elf in the jockey box groans sickly.

"Oh, come now, Jaxon! That wasn't so bad, was it?"

The other elf only gives a half-hearted nod and a weak smile. Lamaenor doesn't seem to notice. He breathes deeply and stretches as he addresses his aide-de-camp.

"Now that we are here, please hitch the wagon and see to it that the Duke is notified of our arrival. Also send word to Lords Praetorian and Aoveron...oh, and Fearecia! We may work closely with her, depending on how our services are to be used. Actually, I will speak with Lord Praetorian after my business at the Knights' Outpost is concluded. Oh, and be sure to have a hearty meal prepared for our men once I bring them from the outpost. Well, go on then! There is much to do!"

He walks off briskly as the elf in the wagon groans again, looking as if he is about to lose his lunch. He urges the oxen forward and they begin their short journey to the stables.
Lamaenor
Guild: Enchanters

Re: An Advisor to the City

Post by Lamaenor »

Shynella's Cafe is bustling with activity on the cold Frost Fall day. Customers chat loudly to be heard over the din of activity. A sad man blows on his food in an attempt to cool it off before consuming it.

In a relatively secluded round table in the corner, two well-dressed elves donning fine silk turbans and a stiff-looking human talk in low voices over the table. The food on it has barely been touched.

"...am here in an advisory role only. We are not here to pick sides in the ongoing war between the two cities, but to help defend against the attacks from the...creatures known as the Dde'rni, of which you are no doubt familiar." The ambassador looks at the human cautiously as he finishes.

The stiff-backed human furrows his brow and looks down as he idly picks at the cold slice of meat in front of him, considering his words before responding.

"When we signed up for this mission, we didn't know what to expect. Guess it was only a few years ago. Seems like it's been ages, though..."

He gives a rueful grin and stops picking at the food before looking up at Lamaenor.

"Creatures, you said. Creatures lurking about the Keep. Attacking at night. We all had our suspicions. Some of the men laughed, thinking they were going to kill some snotlers. Hobgoblins, at worst. Can't blame them, though. None of us knew any better then."

He curls his lips and the grip on his fork tightens.

"These...these things though. They ain't right, Ambassador. Ain't natural. Some of the men swear the creatures are the kidnapped Dwarves, come back to haunt the city. Some say that Croft, or Sliper, or both, used foul magics to twist them and form them into what they are."

The man shudders and looks away, frowning.

Lamaenor looks to his assistant. Jaxon simply shrugs and shakes his head.

You're on your own with this one. It was your idea after all.

As the thought echoes in his head, Lamaenor narrows his eyes.

Oh, good. What help you are, Lamaenor thinks back. His assistant stifles a grin, looking down intently at the food in front of him and picking at it idly.

Lamaenor sighs and looks back to the man across from him. "That seems to be the general consensus, yes."

Why don't we figure out how much of a consensus that is? he thinks, glancing sideways to his assistant. Jaxon nods.

The ambassador softens his tone as he continues, "However, Lieutenant, we must remember that there is no proof of that. Or not enough of it, at least. You and your men have performed admirably in your training with Lord Kollin. You have gone above and beyond what was expected of you. And for that you must be commended. But you must remember you are men of Devardec. As their leader, you mustn't let them give in to such rumors. I hate to ask more of you and your men, but if you'd be willing to stay here and help protect Stone Keep..."

The human looks up sharply.

"If? We must! Ah...sir. My Lord. With all due respect, we have seen the horrors they have wrought on the city. I've lost good men..."

His knuckles become white as his grip on his fork tightens even further.

"We know what they can do, and I'll be damned if we retreat back to Devardec, safe in our homes while these people die." He blushes and lowers his gaze. "Sir. Excuse my language. I-"

Lamaenor smiles gently and lifts a hand to stop the man, considering him thoughtfully before speaking.

"Yes...hm, we will have to work on the language, but there is no need to apologize, lieutenant. I understand you have been through much and this is a subject dear to your heart. Hm..."

He taps a finger to his chin pensively. "Yes...very well! If you insist, I can think of a way you and your men can remain here to help. You may have noticed that I arrived without a contingent of guards. You and your men, save say...four? Yes, all except four of you will begin duties in my diplomatic envoy until further notice. You will be elevated to Captain of my guard to reflect this new assignment. You've certainly distinguished yourself enough to be considered for the honor. I trust you have no objections?"

The guards straightens and nods quickly.
"No, of course not, sir- ah, My Lord. Of course not, My Lord. I won't fail you. Me and the men-"

Again, the ambassador raises a hand to stop the man.

"It's not me you have to worry about failing, Lieutenant. It's the people of Stone Keep. We are here for them. I know you and your men will do well, though. You already have. However, now that you are to be part of a diplomatic entourage, there are certain considerations to be made. We represent the city, you see. So the rumors and speculation, they simply must end. We are here to help defend against the Dde'rni in an advisory role. That is all. We cannot have the men spreading rumors that may or may not be true about another sovereign nation. And the language! We will need to work on your language. I surround myself with people of consummate professionalism. 'Ain't', for example..." He shudders slightly and grimaces before continuing "Well, it just will not do. Jaxon here will begin instructing you on some basic etiquette and protocols we observe..."

Oh, sure. Because it's not like I'm doing anything else. Jaxon's calm demeanor and straight-ahead stare belies the complaint he thinks.

Oh, hush you! I knew giving you telepathy was a bad idea!
Lamaenor quickly cuts his eyes at his assistant.

Good! Then dispel it, and I can remove this cumbersome sack of cloth on my head. You know it's too cold for silk! Jaxon scratches at the hair underneath the turban.

Lamaenor blinks rapidly and smiles at the soon-to-be Captain.

"But we will attend to all that later. For now, make preparations. You will of course need to select your own Lieutenants. Start instructing your men immediately on the need for discretion as well. Oh! And I will need four volunteers...not all of you will be staying here. We require some of you to pass on your knowledge and training. Two of your number will return to Devardec to drill the men in both the Dde'rni and the training you received from Lord Kollin. One will go to Lyresong to instruct the guards there, and another to Spire Hold. The remaining ten will remain here. Questions?"

The human frowns a bit, but he shakes his head.
"No. I'm not sure anyone will like being sent home. We've been through so much. But orders are orders. They know that."

Lamaenor nods and rises.

Why don't you help him make his selection while you're tutoring him? Let's try to send those who are more homesick, and especially any who are particularly devoted to these rumors? The other elf nods.

"Good! Now the hour is late and we have much to do."

Yes. Yes, we do, haven't we? Such as getting rid of these unsightly antennae and getting into some proper headgear for this weather. Jaxon sighs and rises as the other two leave the table.

Return to “Stone Keep”