All work and no play...

Gnomish Land
Frigore

All work and no play...

Post by Frigore »

Frigore was a young gnome with stern parents. His father was a candlemaker and his mother was a lamp merchant. They were proud to be of Clan Glitter Bones. His parents were always respectful to all creatures, gnome and non-gnomes alike, but at family gatherings after a few rounds of cold gnomish beer would boast about being pure Glitter Bones with no Bottlenose in their blood. Frigore never gave it much thought. His parents had mostly raised him right. He cared not where someone came from or who their parents were or who they worshipped. Whoever earned his respect would have it for life.

At the age of sixteen, he was beginning to develop some teenage angst. While his parents provided him with a path to an honest living for the rest of his life, he yearned for something more. While helping his father make candles, he became entranced by the flame, and dreamed of being able to cast flame spells. While working at his mother's lamp shop, he often spoke with adventurers that came by, and dreamt of learning to swing a sword as well as they.

But all young men dreamed of such things, Frigore was constantly reminded by his mother, and Norland is a dangerous place. "Better to stay in Tridale, we have a good life here." He knew these words were true, and felt a bit ungrateful for his desire to spurn them.

These thoughts were at the forefront of his mind when he arrived at the Inventor's Guild, and found a flyer, which read:

"Hear ye, Hear ye!

Are you thirsty for adventure? Are you weary of day to day life in Tridale?

Have you memorized tales of famous gnomes like Thesmorphia, Axx, Khan, and Doug?

Then come join the Lushlark Defenders, a small band of adventurers the help defend Lushlark against bandits and baddies alike.

Under our tutelage:
You will learn DISCIPLINE.
You will learn LEADERSHIP.
You will learn SELF DEFENSE.
You will MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN OUR COMMUNITY AND YOURS.

We will begin our first training camp towards the end of Weeping Skies. Tuition is 30,000 gold which covers your room and board for the duration of the camp, as well as your weapons and armor. We look forward to meeting you!

Signed,
THE LUSHLARK DEFENDERS."

Frigore read the flyer over again and again. He didn't know much about Lushlark, and his parents would definitely say no, and he would have to find some way to come up with the gold on his own.

But the young gnome suddenly had a plan to go with his amorphous dream. He was going to become a LUSHLARK DEFENDER!
Frigore

Re: All work and no play...

Post by Frigore »

He spent the next few weeks trying to gather up gold however he could; offering to do chores and favors for friends and neighbors, scavenging on the roads and selling old weapons for scrap; but in the end, he came up short.

It was the last day before the training started with the Lushlark Defenders, and he still needed to come up with 8000 gold. He had failed.

There was one way, though, he knew. It went against everything he was taught growing up and the core values his parents had instilled in him. But he was desperate, and this was his last option.

He wrote a letter of apology to his parents in advance. He watched and waited for his father to go out to make a sale. He quickly moves about the shop, taking all of his father's inventory. He gathered up all his things as well, left the note behind, and left Tridale Ford.

All that was left of Frigore in his home was the letter, which read:

"Mom & Dad,

I am sorry. It pains me to do this. But I must leave, I must pursue my dream of becoming a world renowned adventurer. I have brought shame upon myself and our family, but rest assured, I will repay you tenfold for everything I have taken today. I hope one day I will return home a great warrior, and you will be proud of me, regardless of this transgression.

I will always love you both,
-Frigore."

Return to “Tri-Dale Ford”