Ship Incoming....

The Dark City
vampirss
Guild: Barbarians
Temple: Dread

Ship Incoming....

Post by vampirss »

Hillston would rest after a long watch at the harbor. The two guards he was with, Jensin and Rolf would play dice and drink before they passed out. Yet, when it was time for them to take their post on watch in relief of Hillston, they would make sure they were early for that exchange.

Rolf would leave the room to hang out at the dock to play some more dice, laughing at Jensin for being on duty while he was raking in the gold. They had spent so much time there, everyone considered them regulars now.

Today, the harbor master was standing in a high tower, like a crow’s nest on a ship, looking for incoming ships so crews could get ready for docking. After some inquiry, he knew the guards were looking for the ship called ‘Spiritus Vinum’’. He kept eye out for all ships, but especially that one so they can make sure those that need to know will.

All morning Hillston and the harbormaster, Barton, talked about their lives more. Each day they worked together they found out a bit more about each other. Today seemed to be going about the same, another long day of empty seas. Barton was in the middle of a sentence when he thought he saw something in his spyglass.

Hillston looked up to him, concerned when he stopped speaking in the middle of a thought like that. Barton seemed to be concentrating on something very hard. “What’s going on up there? You alright?

Barton didn’t lower his spyglass or move a bit as he spoke, “I’m trying to read what’s on this ship. I can’t quite make it out but there is one coming this way.

Pondering the words, Hillston grabbed his own spyglass after climbing up to the highest heights he could find as well, the building behind them. From atop there, he could still speak with Barton and attempt to see the ship as well from a different angle. They had false hopes before so he wasn’t holding his breath.

Their conversation for the next few hours had lessened as they both concentrated on the seas at the ship that was approaching. It was still quite a ways out, but they had strong hopes to see the name soon.

The next shift of guard was about to come when Hillston thought he could see the name. “I can’t quite make it out. I can see the lettering but I can’t make out what it says. You?

A tilt of his head this way and that while keeping his spyglass aimed at the ships bow, Barton attempted to make out the lettering. “It has been well weathered and not very well kept up, it seems but I will try spelling it out to you.

Swiftly Hillston put down his spyglass and grabbed a quib, pot, and scroll from his pack. “Go ahead.

Barton continued the heavy onlooking then began his letter by letter spelling of the name. “S or F...the writing is rather fancy… p ...r or n… i….t...there is a space I can’t make out and s or f again.” He went on with trying to decipher this name, “W or V...another space..n and u. It looks like there is supposed to be something after that but it is well worn.

While Barton was reading the letters, another guard showed up for duty. Rolf looked around, not seeing the captain in his usual spot for duty until he heard him speaking. “This is very strange. It doesn’t seem to spell anything, though…..I think this is our ship!” He jumped up and looked down to see Rolf looking up at him. At that moment he told him, “Go to the House. Inform the Lady that it seems our ship is incoming. She should prepare.

Without hesitation Rolf saluted him and took off, up to the center of town and beyond to the Twilight house while Hillston and Barton continued to keep their watch. Some time had passed and the ship was still getting closer when Hillston yelled out, “Seems my time spent hanging out with you will be over soon, Barton.

The man never left his position while he responded, “That’s up to you, if you don’t want to hang out with this old sea dog. I can’t say I’d mind the company a bit, and yer alright to talk to, and take money from at dice.

Hillston chuckled, “You are on. I’ll be back. I like it here at times. For now, let’s see this ship in.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
High Lady of Twilight, House Umbra
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress
vampirss

Re: Ship Incoming....

Post by vampirss »

Rolf ran the entire length of the road, yelling at people to get out of his way instead of running them over. The captain did say to run. Mission accomplished. He had a hard time giving the guards the pass to get into the house because he was panting after his run. He’s run often, just not so while yelling the entire way. Maybe he would mention that to the trainers later on, if he remembered it.

Once inside, he passed the strange woman in black that liked to work with different types of poisons. He walked by the cooks who seemed to be taking food somewhere, but he didn’t watch to see where they were going. Still breathing a bit heavy, he stopped at the door at the end of the hallway. His eyes met those of the man that took care of the Lady’s every need. With broken words, he asked, “Is she in?” He tried to ask sounding in control but instead there was excitement in his tone.

Leland looked at him a bit puzzled but responded, “She is. Just a moment.

He turned and knocked on the door with two slight raps of his knuckles on the wood before cracking the door open. “Come in,” he hears in the distance. Leland walked in, leaving the door open a crack. “There is a guard here to see you. He seems a bit excited.

The word “excited” caught her attention, “Send him in.

As Leland pushed the door open further he told the guard to come in. Rolf walked in and saw the woman with the long fiery red hair sitting behind a massive wooden desk covered in different scrolls. She looked up from a scroll and saw the man, sweat covering his hair. He was trying to catch his breath, attempting to hide the fact that he was doing so. “Get him some water. Have a seat. Tell me what’s going on.

The guard did as he was told while Leland did the same. “M’lady, I am Rolf. I was posted with Captain Hillston at the docks. He is watching as a ship is coming in. Him and the dockmaster have eyes on it. They believe it to be the ship you have been waiting for. He would like instruction on what you would like to have done, give you time to prepare for anything you wanted to do for this person.” He stopped a moment, taking the glass of water, drinking it down before continuing. “It hasn’t been that long since they first spotted the ship. I was sent here to give you this information right away.

Looking at the young guard she nodded, “Good to hear.” Her gaze went to Leland, “Make sure things are prepared as we discussed.” He nodded his head in understanding as she continued talking. “Have the captain greet our visitor and bring him here. We will show him to accommodations as are needed. Anything he needs to have removed from the ship, make sure it is taken care of right away. Storage is to be taken care of, if needed, and his crew set up at the docks right away. Ensure all of that is ready when they arrive.” Rolf nodded as he was making mental notes of everything she said. “Remember, he is an honored guest and should be treated accordingly.

Rolf got up from his chair, giving the empty glass back to Leland and stood at attention. “As you wish, m’lady. I shall run back now and let the captain know. He will need time to change into his formal uniform. Consider it done.” He dipped his head in a bow and left once she waved her hand in dismissal. With that permission, he turned and left her office, rushing out of the house, running back to the docks where he started.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress
vampirss

Post by vampirss »

It wasn’t that long after Rolf left that Satyana was giving orders. Leland was already out directing staff to prepare a room for the honored guest. She grabbed one of the women walking by and asked her to get several rooms prepared for some guests. There was no way she could know how many there would be. Once the woman was out getting that done, Satyana grabbed one of the messengers, “Come with me. I need to write a message really quick that needs to be delivered posthaste.

The two of them went back to her office where she sat behind the massive desk. Taking the quill that was dipped in her usual blood red ink pot, she put it to a clean piece of parchment and wrote, “Harold. Our honored guest seems to be arriving very soon. I will have him here in Twilight proper for a bit, then we will make our way to Aviditas. Make sure everything is ship shape upon our arrival.

Once she looked it over again, she quickly signed her name to the bottom and put the quill back in its place. While she waited for the blood to dry on the parchment, she looked up at the boy, “I need you to take this to Harold at the main house in Aviditas. It will be put in his hands and his only. Make sure you have on your house tunic so they know where you are coming from. Bring me his word once he is done. Understood?

Her eyes went back down to the parchment that she now rolled up, took in hand a red candle to drip wax on the center edge of the roll. Once the candle was placed back where she got it from, she pressed her ring into the center of the wax to seal it properly. Now that it was ready, she put it out for the boy to take. He stepped forward and put his hand on the end of it. She looked him in the eye, not taking her hand off of it yet even though he had hold of it, “remember what I said.

The boy nodded his head in compliance, waiting for her to let go. Once she did he left her office and raced off to Aviditas.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress
vampirss

Post by vampirss »

When the messenger left, he did so in such a hurry he left the door to her office wide open. She stared out the door watching as he raced down the hall, pushing the great doors open forcefully to the dismay of the guards outside. They yelled at him to slow down before he hurts someone. He didn’t slow or look back, just stayed at his mission. She would have to remember to take care of that young man. He had potential.

Leland wasn’t at her door to close it because he was taking care of the duties Satyana had given him. She was fine with that. This way she could see and hear the rushing around the halls that takes place to make things ready. It made her feel better hearing the preparation. One female staff member was slowly going by the hall that caught her attention. “Helena?

The woman heard her name and stopped, backpedaling to the open door she thought she heard it from. Peering in and seeing the Lady, she gasped and stood tall, “Yes m’lady? You called me?

A smile crossed Satyana’s face before she responded. “Yes, I did. Would you please have someone polish up my armor - what they can with that bone and leather- and have several dresses prepared as well. I will need casual attire, preferably pants and shirts, as well. We have that special guest coming on and I want to be prepared for anything. I know we will be making a trip to Aviditas at some point. I don’t know what he will want to see there. We may spend a few days, or much longer, there. Anything you can do to help me out would be greatly appreciated.

With a wink and smile, she had Helena laughing, “Very well, Miss. You know I have always taken very good care of you. I will have several things packed up and sent over to Aviditas for you. I will also have a few set out for you to choose what you would like once the guest arrives.” She nodded and gave a slight curtsey before rushing on to get her task completed.

Leland entered the office not long after Helena left. He stopped before her desk, “Everything is being prepared as you ordered. The room is being tidied up and properly prepared. It was ready a few weeks ago when the guest was first expected, so it shouldn’t take too much. There are meal preparations that are being tended to right away. The crew will be made comfortable at the docks so they can stay close. Should their stay be lengthy, we will be looking for a more permanent a locale for them.

I believe we have everything moving in the right direction, Leland. Now, we just have to have the man here. I’m sure Hillston will have Rolf back up here again, or someone else, to let us know when they have docked so we may be fully ready. I’m not going to change or do anything beyond what we are until they are actually on dry land. Too many variables that can delay their arrival.

With that, Satyana started going through the work on her desk and Leland went back to his post outside the door he closed behind himself when he left.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress
vampirss

Post by vampirss »

Rolf ran by the room and smacked Jensin in the back of the head as he was sleeping, “Get up! Get dressed NOW! The ship is coming. We have to get Hillston here so he can prepare properly in his dress uniform! Hurry! I have to get to Hillston now.” Just as quickly as he came in, Rolf left again leaving Jensin lying in bed dumbfounded with a sore head.

He ran from their room back to the docks to find Hillston and Barton watching the ship come in. It was close enough that you could make it out with the naked eye. Rolf looked up at Hillston, “Sir I’m back. She wants you to greet the guest in full dress and bring him to the house. Once Jensin is here, I’ll start looking into quarters for the crew and make sure there is storage space available here on the docks for their cargo.

Hillston climbed down from his perch and stood before Rolf, “Thank you for all your hard work. I know it is tiring running up and down the streets the way you have and you are not a messenger. I sent you because I needed someone I could trust to get the message delivered properly and return with her response. We want to make sure we have the right sentiment for the guest. I’ll be sure you are rewarded later.

His words were barely out when Jensin showed up. His hair was still wet but he was cleanly shaved, showered and dressed in his best uniform. “Sorry I’m late sir. I wanted to make sure I was fully prepared to greet the guest.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress
vampirss

Post by vampirss »

Hillston looked over Jensin and gave a nod before responding. “You look good. Go up there and keep watch. Be careful of your uniform.” He then turned to Rolf, “You come with me. We will both get ready. Once done, you continue on with your plans and I shall return here.” Both men gave a salute then carried on with their respective orders.

The two men talked a bit while walking to the rooms. Rolf explained to Hillston in a bit more detail what it was the lady informed him regarding their guest. She expected he would have a lot of items with him and a lot of staff. There was no telling how many, since it was not reported in the messages that she had received as of this moment. She recommended getting a warehouse together that had some rooms above to put everything in so it was all centralized. He was planning on getting that together after getting cleaned up and dressed in his proper uniform.

With a slight smile and nod, Hillston acknowledged the information, “I am thankful you are prepared to get that taken care of. Once ready myself, I will head back to the docks in hopes the ship will be coming in soon. With any luck, we will all be in our own beds tonight getting some proper rest.

They both went up to their respective rooms to get prepared. The two of them had the same exact things to get done, but their jobs afterwards were quite different. Hillston had his mission, political attache for the Lady of Twilight, bringing her guest to the house safely. Rolf was going to get the guest’s crew and cargo taken care of with Jensin’s assistance. Thankfully Jensin was smart enough to get dressed in his formal uniform when Rolf woke him up.

The exact amount of time they were in their respective rooms is unknown, but they left almost at the same time. Rolf was halfway down the stairs when Hillston closed his door. He stopped and waited for his captain. “All good, sir. Going to work on getting the guest’s crew and cargo secured upon arrival. I’ll meet you at the dock as soon as it is secured. I started looking into this previously and informed the owner I would let him know as soon as we had a better idea of when they would arrive.

Well done, Rolf. Way to stay ahead of things. I’ll see you at the docks. Get busy.

The two men went their separate ways to get preparations made.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress
vampirss

Post by vampirss »

Rolf went to the owner of the warehouse he had spoken to previously. After some pleasantries, they sat down in Joral’s office. “I wanted to make sure everything was set up. The ship is in sight and we have to have the space for cargo and rooms for the crew.

Joral nodded as he listened to Rolf, then replied. “My men have set up the compartments upstairs as housing for the crew. It’s not a lot, just a footlocker and bunk beds. There are three showers and other necessities available, so they will have to take turns. There is a kitchen downstairs they can use, accessible from a stairwell in their living quarters. They will have a visual on the cargo from their location so they will be their own security for everything.

Listening intently, Rolf took in everything he was hearing, nodding and tilting his head while Joral was speaking. “That sounds good. They will most likely be thankful to have a clean place to sleep on dry land. It will give them access to their ship for repairs and the like while also having access to the city for recreation and more. Perfect. Thank you.

They stood and shook hands, “I will bring them around once they arrive.

Their hands dropped to their sides and Joral told him as they were leaving the office, “I’ll have men on standby to help move cargo to the warehouse.

As they were walking out of the warehouse, Rolf turned and said “thank you” before returning to the docks with the other two soldiers.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress
vampirss

Post by vampirss »

Upon arrival to the docks where the others were, Rolf checked in with Hillston, coming to attention and offering a salute before speaking. “Sir, everything is ready to go upon their arrival.

Hillston returned the salute, watching Rolf remove his hand as he spoke. “That’s wonderful news. As long as the wind continues at this pace, they should arrive within the hour. At least, that is what Barton just told me before your arrival. He’s got his men ready to aide with the cargo.

Master Joral said he would send his men over to assist as well. With all these men, it shouldn’t take any time at all to get the ship emptied and the crew where they need to be. Do we need a horse for the guest? I didn’t think of that earlier.

Looking out at the ship Hillston pondered on the idea. He didn’t think it would be necessary, but he wasn’t one that has been stuck on a ship for such a long period of time. A part of him thinks that he would want to get some walking done on stationary ground, where another part thinks the legs may be achy and weary after being out at sea so long. It was difficult to say. “Let’s have two prepared just in case. If he decides to ride, I will ride with him. It is a lovely day and not that long a walk to the city proper and the House. We will allow our guest to decide.

Nodding his head, Rolf went to take care of this but Jensin jumped down from his perch. “Sir, might I handle this? I could use some time on solid ground myself.

A chuckle came from Hillston hearing this. “ Rolf, let’s have Jensin take care of this situation. He will return them from where he gets them later as well.

Jensin nodded in understanding as Rolf responded, “Yessir.” Jensin gave a salute and nod to Hillston before leaving to start on his task. Rolf, however, climbed up to keep watch. He didn’t need the telescope anymore, since the ship was close enough to see with the naked eye, it just seemed much further out.

Not too much time had passed when Jensin returned, two lovely looking animals behind him. One was a pale brown with a yellowish white diamond that started between its eyes and down its nose, the same coloring at the bottom of its legs that went around its hoofs. “Her name is Diamond,” he said while patting the beauty on the nose. The other was a dark chocolate brown that had a pure white cross on its face that ran down the nose. The eyes were a covered patch of white that went from one side to the other covering both eyes. There was a section in the middle that went up and another that went straight down, the dark brown surrounding it perfectly. “This one is Cross. I would not cross this one. I was told he is a bit testy at times, but I assured him you were a more than competent rider,” he said with a wink at Hillston.

They are both beautiful animals. Well done.

Jensin joined them in the watch, though now they could make out people on the deck running around yelling “Land Ho!” The captain of the ship was directing everyone as they came in, standing next to the ship’s mate that was steering. They saw several men running about, not one a preening statesman. Perhaps the guest was downstairs in his stateroom awaiting their actual arrival so he could make a grand entrance. Thinking of that made Hillston groan. That type of person would not get along with the Lady very well. She was not very good with preening peacocks that thought so much of themselves.

The sails were being slowly let down to ease their entry to the docks, the ship turning expertly at the right moment and they bumped the end of the dock as they finally arrived. The men aboard cheered and hugged each other. Hillston watched this in amazement. This was not something he expected to see from a seasoned crew. They would have sailed the seas several times over and wouldn’t care about making just one more port. Now he wondered just what did happen on this voyage. Four men came over and removed the side safety deck to put down the steps that were located on the inside side of the ship. Once sturdily in place, the captain made the call, “All ashore!

Hillston thought it funny that several men along with the captain came down the steps first. He would expect their guest to arrive first off the ship. Without second thought, he went up to the Captain, “Hello Captain, a pleasure to have you on the shores of Twilight. I am Captain Hillston, guard of the city and emissary for the Lady Satyana.

He heard a chuckle from the captain he was greeting. “It is nice to meet you Hillston. Though, you should save all that pomp and circumstance for the man you are here to greet.

Yes, well sir, I was wondering where he was located. If he is still preparing in his stateroom, I’ll be happy to wait.

Soft sounds of laughter came from the men gathering around as they disembarked from the ship. Before the captain could say anything, a tall man with dirt smudged on his face took a step forward. “Captain Hillston. I’m Lord Ignazius Laraunt. I suppose I am the one you are here to take to this lady of yours.

After a gulp and his eyes going from the ship’s captain where he got a nod and back to the man that spoke he finally responded. “My apologies, sir. I was expecting….

The Lord smiled and nodded, “Yes, I can only imagine what you were expecting and how I must look at this moment. I am surely not at my best or best smelling, unfortunately. I will explain it to you a bit later. Would it be possible for us to get my things together and somewhere to shower, clean up and such? I would kill for a shower right now.

Yes, of course sir. These men here will gladly take things where you want them. We have a warehouse ready for all of your cargo and crew, so they can keep watch over your items personally. Just let us know which of your items you will need at the house and they will be brought forward.

Excellent,” he said as he grabbed a half dozen fresh men and had them follow him upstairs. He turned in stride, “Captain, get your men rest as soon as the ship is unloaded. These men have already acquired quarters for everything.” He returned to his upward trek and into the belly of the ship while the ship’s captain got his crew together. Without added wording, he swifty told them that dry sheets, showers and hot food was ready once everything was done. Work with the locals to get it all accomplished quickly. The first ones done would get an extra day’s furlough. The men scrambled to get work down, grabbing extra dock workers and warehouse workers as they saw them standing around to assist.

Lord Ignazius Laraunt returned before long with three trunks carried between the six men and two smaller trunks he carried himself. Hillston went up the plank and assisted the Lord by taking the trunks and walking them down, placing them gently on the flatbed carriage that was waiting. “Would you rather ride or walk to the house? I have both options easily and readily available.

Looking around, Laraunt decided he would rather walk. “Rolf, Jensin, make sure things go off smoothly here then join us at the house. Ensure the crew knows where to get everything they will need.” Both men nodded in agreement, then watched as Hillston and Laraunt walked slowly back to the house. They heard Laraunt say, “Let me tell you about this trip.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress

Return to “Twilight”