Rough Sailing

The Dark City
vampirss
Guild: Barbarians
Temple: Dread

Rough Sailing

Post by vampirss »

Lord Ignazius Laraunt sat in his cabin attempting to write in his journal while the ship he traveled in was tossing around in the open seas. He left almost a month ago for a land he had only heard of. One of his traveling companions was from this land, having come in search of his blood red wine. His companion’s boss had extended an invitation to visit should the Lord wish to come. Why not? He did enjoy traveling. He made sure to bring some wine with him when he traveled so he could partake in the taste on the go. A ship load was sent ahead of them. The buyer may as well enjoy the wine before he arrives. He took another sip of his wine and attempted to write again.

Day 27 - The weather hasn’t gotten any better. Luckily the bottles were well packed so there has been no breakage. I know the bottles that were sent ahead of us were as well packed, though them not having the same weather issues would be much better. The captain feels this will slow us down a bit. Exactly how much he is unsure, but it is difficult to tell much when we can’t see the sun or moon. He knows the direction we are going by the compass and the man we sail with knows which general direction we must go in. How much distance we manage per day is a mystery.

The captain is one I’ve travelled with for many years and have always trusted his knowledge to get us where we are going safely. We have weathered many storms together and always made it through. I have no doubt we will make it through this one as well. Our estimated time of arrival will be off, but a safe arrival is the most important thing. We started out with rations in store for everyone to have 3 meals a day for sixty days, double what would normally be brought for this length of a trip. Even so, the captain has started rationing meals for the crew to twice a day. Fishing for extra supply is not possible with this storm. With any luck at all, we will be out of it before too long and able to safely travel the rest of the way.

Setting his quill aside, he picked up his drink and sat back as he swayed to the rhythm of crashing waves against the ship.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
High Lady of Twilight, House Umbra
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress
vampirss

Re: Rough Sailing

Post by vampirss »

Day 31 - The rain has finally stopped. It started lessening two days ago. The clouds were thick. The rain was falling but you could actually see beyond the deck in every direction a little bit. There were times a low cloud would blow by and visibility was nil but nothing too worrisome.

That’s when the unthinkable happened. We were boarded by pirates we didn’t see coming. The captain did everything he could do to move the ship away from them. This kept the number of them able to board down to a minimum. Since they were so close, it was going to take time before they could get back into position for another attempt at boarding. However, it seemed like they weren’t going to try. The ship left, sailing off into the clouds again.

Bells rang out from the crow’s nest as soon as the first pirate was seen, still in flight and others following quickly behind. The men always keep weapons on them but who would expect pirates in this messy weather. The pirates unfortunately caught two men before they were able to get their weapons free. They tried to dodge the pirate blades to no avail and went down in a heap of blood. The bells continued to ring and every available man was on deck in no time at all with weapons ready for battle.

I ran up with my weapon in hand, but I have never really had to fight another person. To my surprise, the envoy came up with a sword in his hand, daggers at his waist and boots, strange looking pole and axe on his back. He was ready to cause damage. I stayed in a corner like I was told for safety, using my sword only when I absolutely had to. The envoy, though, went right into the thick of the battle, dispensing of pirates left and right. His sword was swift and true. His axe was heavy and deadly, being swung without any effort at all. His hands were as deadly as his weapons when they were needed.

The pirates that boarded were left to their wits, since their ship departed. Or perhaps, they were meant to take over the ship or not return at all. I would probably bet on the latter. Thankfully, our men and that envoy were able to thwart their attempt. We lost only 4 men during this battle, though several others were injured as well. Considering this, we have divided up the chores of keeping the ship moving to everyone...myself included. The Captain feels we should be making shore in another three to four days, if luck stays on our side. The wind to our backs is pushing us right along, making up a little time from the storms we have encountered.

We tossed the pirate bodies overboard that day, after taking anything of use from them. Yesterday we sent our men off to the bottom of the ocean after a nice ceremony. We couldn’t take any chances of disease by keeping them alive on board. Their keepsakes are being boxed up for their families. The injured men are being given the time they need for healing before keeping watch, as much as possible. Here’s hoping that nothing else this eventful takes place on this trip.

I should probably end here and get back on deck. I’m still trying to swab the blood out of the wood, though it seems to be permanently stained there. I will not give up trying, or the wood will be replaced once we arrive on shore.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress
vampirss

Post by vampirss »

Day 37 - Clear sailing has been a blessing. The wind has been non-existent though, so we have been moving along with oars in the water, resting the men every so often and rotating. There aren’t many of us left now, so that makes it more interesting. I mentioned on a previous page that we were taking turns in duties around the ship, and I meant it. We are all taking turns rowing as well. I thought I was in shape for a man of my age. I’ve even gone out rowing on the lake by my home, but rowing a ship of this size, in the ocean is much more difficult than anyone would expect. Having to work with so many others to get the synchronicity needed to make it seem like a dance...allowing the ship to move forward, even more difficult. It was exhilarating, exhausting work but I enjoyed it for the most part.

We started singing songs that would normally be heard at a bar while drunk on ale and whiskey just to get the groove going. I didn’t care, it was fun to sing and work, though my voice is only saved by the wine we consume after our shift. I must have lost 20 pounds sweating profusely from all this work. I I didn’t think I needed to lose weight, and now fear my clothes will not fit me once we arrive. With any luck my hosts will have some seamstresses to assist, or at least some amazing food that will help fatten me up.

Rations have lasted. There is no concern in that area. I always have the ship stocked to last two months at sea for the people we have onboard. Now we have less people on board, sadly, but the rations are plenty for us all to eat well for the work we are doing. Makes the men happier that way. The wine I intended for the client isn’t going to be there. I made the decision to break into it and treat the men. Thankfully I sent a ship full beforehand. I can only hope that it made the trip safely.

The captain and I had a meeting with the emissary. He informed us that we seemed a little off course, but with corrections made, we should arrive in about a week. That would all depend on outlying factors, as we have seen this whole trip. If we catch a good wind, we may be able to move things along faster. If we have to continue rowing the ship there, then it may take a bit longer. The best news, though, is there is an end in sight. One thing I do know. Once we arrive, I do not want to get on a ship again for a while. It has been such a long and strange trip, I’d like to keep my feet on dry land for a time. I will look in to that possibility once this trip is over.

Time to end here. It is my rotation on the oars.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress
vampirss

Post by vampirss »

Day 46 - It’s been a bit longer than was expected since I last wrote. There was another storm, but it didn’t last too long. It got us off course a bit but not too terrible. We have been rowing our way back on course and will be there soon, according to the emissary. I am ready to be back on solid ground. I will give this crew some hefty bonuses for all their hard work. The captain will need to find some additions to the crew that we lost. I’ll be sure to pay any families that are left one person short for their loss. It will not replace the person they lost but it will be something.

I am very satisfied with the amount of food we have had. Even though we have been freely eating with all the hard work of rowing we’ve done. There have been a few days the wind has caught the sails and the men took turns at the wheel keeping us at the right heading. When the men aren’t rowing, steering or resting, we have been enjoying the wine, rum and food.

I have requested to be removed from the rowing detail so I could properly clean up and dress for our arrival in these lands. The man told me it was called Twilight. Such an interesting name. It brings me dark thoughts that make me smile. I am not a very bright and loving person some say, but I amuse myself in my own ways. Anyway, I was given the time I requested. The emissary was taking his last shift on the oars before getting ready for landing as well. I will have to do something nice for him. He’s done his fair share in rowing and then some. Strong men his lord has. He should be told.

This is my last entry, at least on board this ship. I am putting it away in anticipation to landfall soon.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress

Return to “Twilight”